Hourly pay odd job man

1happykamper

A neighbour (in Saraphi district)  recommended an odd jobs man to me.. a Thai man with very little English and I am farang with very little Thai language skills. We get by.

How much is the normal hourly rate for gardening (tree trimming, weeding, cleanup). How about a plumbing hourly rate? He fixed my low flow/pressure shower problem and he fixed a broken bum washer connection (snapped off at the wall). in about 1 hour.. plus he had a 40 to 60-minute commute to get to my place both ways. 

He always asks for what I ever think is fair. I hate that!! :). I don't want to be a cheap charli. nor do I want to be a soft touch. TIA. 

Hmm. I've shot myself in the foot then. I gave him 300 baht for an hours work (he probably used 70 baht in parts) because honestly it worth (to me) 10 times that because my water supply had to be off until the problem was fixed. I also gave him 300 for about 2.5 hours of labour in the yard.

My neighbour (Thai) was very elusive in giving me a price for this man. 

I'm happy enough. I don't want to send out a big smoke signal telling the village (khua mung) that I have loads of cash! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

You cannot pay an odd jobs man by the hour. You pay per job, much like how a freelancer works. So, if you agree a price of 300baht for the job and it takes 30 minutes you pay him 300 baht, if it takes 3 hours, you pay 300 baht. Once he is done with your job what's the chance he's going to pickup more work once he's done? He also has to drive there, supply the materials and do the job. You'll probably paying more than your neighbours but I'm sure no one thinks you're rolling in cash for paying a fair rate. 

Though that sounds great in theory, and probably works a treat "back home" where there is pride of workmanship, the caveat is that a schlock job can be the result.  I can often do a job in an hour that should take 2-3 hours to do properly.  Since I'm not living hand to mouth, I will take the 2-3 hours to do it right- just out of pride (then lament that I under-bid).  But pride doesn't feed the kids when the pay for a 3 hour job job is about the price of a McDonald's Happy Meal.

Another caveat is that a pre-negotiated price often has to be renegotiated when the worker discovers he's now working to standards he's never been held to by Thai locals with shallow pockets.  A job that looks like it may take an hour can take a whole day if the acceptance standards aren't familiar.

I agree with you in concept, as long as there's some flexibility.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 55Jay said:

If your referring neighbor uses him for similar type work, start by asking the neighbor what he/she pays him.  Would be good to keep the rate consistent for a similar level of work.

How old is he? 

IME, the general, marginally skilled labor rate in a village environment without many other earning opportunities is 300/day.   I might do a bit more considering his age, experience, work quality and reliability, capping at 500/day.  An occasional bump given he's driving a long way back and forth, would be reasonable and fair. 

Still, I think the neighbor would be a good barometer to start with.

Agreed ... that's exactly how we handle it

16 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Hmm. I've shot myself in the foot then. I gave him 300 baht for an hours work (he probably used 70 baht in parts) because honestly it worth (to me) 10 times that because my water supply had to be off until the problem was fixed. I also gave him 300 for about 2.5 hours of labour in the yard.

I'm happy enough. I don't want to send out a big smoke signal telling the village (khua mung) that I have loads of cash! 

That is not too much... not every job needs to be based on minimum wage... the man has some skills, provided a valuable service for you - he is not pumping gas or working as a clerk in the supermarket... he is an independent contractor. Think of it in terms of paying for the job, not an hourly rate... and the man commuted an hour each way, had his own tools... I would consider myself fortunate and would pay enough so that he too considers himself fortunate... minimum 500 baht. 

If you pay more, you are not a sucker, just an appreciative customer... 

• Like 1

I have found it very unwise to over pay and have advised friends what they should pay for services near me. Paying extra just sets us up as easy farang sources of funds.This creates a nasty situation where we as farang are segregated and I believe they have less respect for us. The people being paid are absolutely no more happy if they are paid extra.
Many Thais I have met in the country refuse to be paid extra for a service and have even refused a tip.
If you can, you should have a Thai person you know and can trust to inform you of local rates which vary greatly around the country.

• Like 1

The current legal minimum wage in Europe for unskilled labour only work eg: gardening, kitchen worker, no tools, is now in the region of 350 baht per hour. For skilled work, much more eg plumber, electrician, mechanic, with own tools. Parts and materials on top of that. In a village in Thailand, away from the tourist spots I'd say 55 Jay has it about right. Also unless it is regular work you pay for the job however little or much time it takes. As usual, in Thailand the worker will come and do the job and then when you say how much, he will say up to you! So for the occasional skilled or semi skilled odd job I'd say start at 200, cap at 500 depending on how long it took, the quality of the work and whether you might want him back sometime! 

16 hours ago, rumak said:

Surprisingly ( to me) many posters have given pretty good advice.  If you find a decent handiman that

you can work with....by all means err on the side of being generous.  Not outrageous.  But if you think someone is going to come over, with tools and some knowledge, and work for 2 hours for 100 or 200 baht then go ahead and pay that.   I can bet the odds of him being available the next time are slim to none.

Labor is not dirt cheap like in the old days......and not easy to find for small jobs.  "Daily" rates are not really relevant for part time work. As some have said,  you should expect to pay for the task done as that is

the norm nowadays.

Agree with that and generally, that's what I do.   I like to start out slow and see how they go, then increase good will incrementally to hold on to the "good ones".

My comment was pulled from experiences living in a village the first four years here, where I learned there are variables and some nuance to the local village labor, as well as their availability against the rhythms of agricultural seasons.

In our town, in broad strokes, the really skilled tradesmen weren't around much,  down in BKK or on larger projects in the city in their prime earning years to provide for their wives and kids and build the house in the village.   The less skilled guys were around, in between planting/harvest times and jugs of Lao Khao.  We had 1 or 2 very  capable retired Thai guys who didn't mind the odd job, and weren't after prime-time labor rates.

We've since moved closer to large city in a moo baan, and seem to have the  inverse situation now.   Lots of skilled independents and formal companies to choose from at mainstream "city" prices.  Less unskilled work-a-day labors about. 

After some trial and error on house improvements, we found a younger guy who does good work at very reasonable labor rate.  He just got done painting the house, came in under budget and did a really nice job, so we gave him a nice bump.  And then hired him for the next project straight away; he was really happy to have consistent work.  He's out in my driveway right now.   I expect he'll be our "go to" guy for a long time to come.

Unskilled labour is 300 baht/day. Skilled trades such as painters, electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics etc. may be looking for 100 - 300 baht/hour. I treat it on a case by case basis, and my GF is the final arbiter on how much to pay them.

It doesn't hurt to pay a bit extra for a good job, as then you are not seen as kiniow. ( Stingy )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

We've since moved closer to large city in a moo baan,

Sounds like you know what you're doing  ?    In Chiangmai , used to go to the local designated spot for

day labor (mostly foreign like Thai yai) and get hard workers for a fixed daily rate .  Ten years ago 200 baht day then gradually up and up then govt chased them all away and now there's a few around who want

quite a bit just for menial type stuff.  Usually its  "tham mao"..which means they

want a set price.  Then they rush through the job .  

When i would find a good worker they would last a while then get hired by someone fulltime or just disappear.  If you are not in CM better chance that you can hold onto someone good (and thats why I

pay a bit more when i like someone).  As i guess you know...its a good feeling when you have a good worker when you need one.   

I live 70 km from CM and there are few skilled workers that work on their own.  All of them in teams 

doing larger projects. Fortunately my gf can now do plumbing and other odd jobs  under my supervision  hahaha    who says thai girls are lazy ???

On 8/13/2018 at 11:32 AM, ZeVonderBearz said:

You cannot pay an odd jobs man by the hour. You pay per job, much like how a freelancer works. So, if you agree a price of 300baht for the job and it takes 30 minutes you pay him 300 baht, if it takes 3 hours, you pay 300 baht. Once he is done with your job what's the chance he's going to pickup more work once he's done? He also has to drive there, supply the materials and do the job. You'll probably paying more than your neighbours but I'm sure no one thinks you're rolling in cash for paying a fair rate. 

agree,

a few times I have used  an engine-electrician, he charges 2000

problem solved in 5-10 minutes - 2000

he has to chip in a 10 hour day- 2000, or even 2 days - still 2000

travel/transport etc - included

On 8/13/2018 at 10:11 AM, 1happykamper said:

ok your jobs had to be done, you already waited and it was a bore. You had to go to town to hire someone, driving by car for miles. TRy to find  the right shop for it and the in English tell what is the problem. Just for the shower. The man in the shop finally understands and tell you the price 1000 bath. He has his shop to run, needs pension, needs to pay tax, has to travel and so on. Hehe finally shower fixed but then your garden and the other matter?? SO now 600 for all, it's cheap and you even didnt had to go away.!!

On 8/14/2018 at 4:00 PM, rumak said:

Sounds like you know what you're doing  ?    In Chiangmai , used to go to the local designated spot for

day labor (mostly foreign like Thai yai) and get hard workers for a fixed daily rate .  Ten years ago 200 baht day then gradually up and up then govt chased them all away and now there's a few around who want

quite a bit just for menial type stuff.  Usually its  "tham mao"..which means they

want a set price.  Then they rush through the job .  

When i would find a good worker they would last a while then get hired by someone fulltime or just disappear.  If you are not in CM better chance that you can hold onto someone good (and thats why I

pay a bit more when i like someone).  As i guess you know...its a good feeling when you have a good worker when you need one.   

I live 70 km from CM and there are few skilled workers that work on their own.  All of them in teams 

doing larger projects. Fortunately my gf can now do plumbing and other odd jobs  under my supervision  hahaha    who says thai girls are lazy ???

We live in  Chiang Mai, our mere baan is a wonderful Thai Yai lady, her Thai Yai husband is a driver for a building company.  He's quite handy and always does good work, but if it's a job he has never done before he will quickly say to my Thai son 'thum mai dai' (cannot do) then say 'do you want me to find someone who can do it?'

My Thai son always says yes please. Invariably he quickly brings someone but always after normal work hours or Sat. afternoon or Sunday and he always watches the work to ensure it's done well.

My son always pays the actual worker well and always ensures our maid's husband sees the payment. Then my son gives the maid's husband 200 - 300Baht for finding the right worker and more if he's used his pick-up truck to bring the person, carry materials or done some helper work, etc.

Win-win.

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

We live in  Chiang Mai, our mere baan is a wonderful Thai Yai lady, her Thai Yai husband is a driver for a building company.  He's quite handy and always does good work, but if it's a job he has never done before he will quickly say to my Thai son 'thum mai dai' (cannot do) then say 'do you want me to find someone who can do it?'

My Thai son always says yes please. Invariably he quickly brings someone but always after normal work hours or Sat. afternoon or Sunday and he always watches the work to ensure it's done well.

My son always pays the actual worker well and always ensures our maid's husband sees the payment. Then my son gives the maid's husband 200 - 300Baht for finding the right worker and more if he's used his pick-up truck to bring the person, carry materials or done some helper work, etc.

Win-win.

I have had some great thai yai workers over the years .  you are very lucky to have your maid and her son and i am glad you are not keenio like one or two posters here.  When you get a good job done it is still a real BARGAIN here in Thailand.  and CM especially is very difficult to find workers (supply and demand).