Elections Chief Dismisses Fears Voting Will Be Rigged

webfact

Elections Chief Dismisses Fears Voting Will Be Rigged

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

1468207774_201607110946101-2004102013380

A Korat artist poses for photo on July 11, 2016, with candlewax crafted into the figure of Hanuman, the monkey god adopted by the Election Commission as its mascot for the August 2017 charter referendum.

BANGKOK — As the junta backs efforts to rewrite laws, overturn norms and stack the deck with loyalists, whispers that it could attempt to subvert next election are growing louder.

The man tasked with ensuring a credible election is playing down concerns Friday that the next general election could see his body involved in manipulating the vote in favor of junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, who seems intent on remaining in power.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/08/13/elections-chief-dismisses-fears-election-will-be-rigged/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-08-13
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

What is he suppose to say.

No one in their right  mind would admit it if they were rigging it. How is this news?

Fair point, but given the past very scaly and unprofessional history of this commission and the problems to put together this 'team' and the fact a couple of them seem to be motor mouths, I'm not holding my breath on this item.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, baboon said:

The voting itself won't need to be rigged. Any election will be Constitution MkII. Soldiers going around advising folks on the best candidates to vote for if they know what's good for them, no 'impolite language' or criticism of the Junta permitted... The deck is already well and truly rigged.

Aha... de ja vu...

• Like 1

Whatever complacency allows, will happen. 

So what system is being used.?

I suggest a person rocks up with their I'd card,  then writes up onto the electoral Facebook page their I'd and vote. 

The whole world can then act as fact checkers.

Easy.

• Like 1

What's the point? When was 'voting', ever, not 'rigged' in Thailand? Or, maybe, I don't understand the meaning of 'rigging', and it excludes influencing, blackmailing, menacing, paying-off, giving away advantages in nature?

Of course making promises without intent to keep any is not 'rigging', when that would be so, and would be prohibited, there would about be no elections  anywhere in the World, I guess...

Ah, the definition of a politician in ancient Athens, the mother of all democracies, ...and what it has become of!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bangrak said:

When was 'voting', ever, not 'rigged' in Thailand?

When was voting done under a military junta that governs by absolute power and the junta leader has offered himself as the next elected PM?

When was voting done where the junta remains in power after the election until the elected government has been royally endorsed and where also the junta chief has the power to approve or disapprove the elected PM's Cabinet?

A rigged" election is not exclusive to the manual act of voting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, colinneil said:

Elections chief dismisses fears voting will be rigged.:cheesy:

Whatever he is on , i want some.

And I thought this is the official mascot. But it has obviously overchallenged the artist's designer qualities to wax it.

d27652fd-cbf1-42a8-a443-7bf235e47701_zps

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2018 at 4:35 AM, colinneil said:

Elections chief dismisses fears voting will be rigged.:cheesy:

Whatever he is on , i want some.

What he is on is darn strong...be careful, hallucinations are not good for you! Although it seems to be working for him!

• Haha 1