UK Labour's Corbyn trades barbs with Netanyahu on Mideast violence

webfact

UK Labour's Corbyn trades barbs with Netanyahu on Mideast violence

2018-08-13T201011Z_1_LYNXMPEE7C1HE_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-POLITICS-LABOUR.JPG

Britain's opposition Labour party leader Jeremy Corbyn leaves his house in London, Britain, August 6, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville

(Reuters) - A furore over alleged anti-semitism in Britain's main opposition party widened on Monday when Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn exchanged accusations on Twitter over Israeli-Palestinian bloodshed.

Labour has been wrestling accusations of anti-semitism for months, and Corbyn has previously apologised for what he has described as "pockets" of anti-semitism in the organisation.

Britain's right-leaning Daily Mail on Friday reported that Corbyn, on a visit to Tunisia in 2014, had laid a wreath at the graves of members of a Palestinian group that killed 11 Israeli athletes and a German policeman at the 1972 Munich Olympics.

It said the cemetery houses a memorial to the dozens killed in the 1985 Israeli bombing of the Palestine Liberation Organisation headquarters in exile in Tunis, as well as the graves of members of Black September, a PLO splinter group that carried out the Munich attack.

It published a photograph it said showed Corbyn standing near the graves of Black September members.

Labour said Corbyn, a staunch supporter of the Palestinian cause, was in Tunis to honour the victims of the 1985 raid.

Unimpressed, Netanyahu said in a tweet:

"The laying of a wreath by Jeremy Corbyn on the graves of the terrorists who perpetrated the Munich massacre and his comparison of Israel to the Nazis deserves unequivocal condemnation from everyone – left, right and everything in between."

Corbyn responded: "Netanyahu's claims about my actions and words are false. What deserves unequivocal condemnation is the killing of over 160 Palestinian protesters in Gaza by Israeli forces since March, including dozens of children."

The Labour Party said Corbyn did not lay a wreath at the graves of anyone linked to Black September and he condemned the Munich attack. Corbyn however told reporters on Monday: "I was present when (a wreath) was laid, I don't think I was involved in it," adding that the visit was a peace-seeking exercise.

Despite deep divisions in the Conservative government as it negotiates Britain's exit from the European Union, Labour's poll standing appears to have been damaged by the anti-semitism row.

A YouGov poll last week showed that 39 percent of those asked would vote for the Conservatives, a gain of one point for May's party compared to last week when the two biggest parties were level. Labour dropped three points to 35 percent. 

(Writing and reporting by Elisabeth O'Leary in Edinburgh; Editing by William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-14

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Forget the anti semite label, the fact that Corbyn is a staunch palestinian cause supporter is undeniable, he has shown that in many ways over his career, he's appealing to many, many other palestinian cause supporters in the UK for votes, on top of many, many other jews and Israel haters just for sake of hating and blaming someone when things turn bad, history is full of persecution and atrocities committed against jews when conditions called for an escape goat to blame, and Corbyn is just another link in this shameful game, deny and deflect as much as he would...

But he is ostracising many Jewish Labour Party members too, and there are a lot of them.  Look behind the headlines.  This is all about the knives that are out for Corbyn, many of them from within the Labour party itself.  As I keep saying (ranting) Corbyn (IMO) is being set up for a leadership challenge.  There are plots and scheming going in in both the main parties because they all smell blood.

Politics is a dirty business and there are certainly plenty of dirty politicians around at the moment! 

• Like 1

@dexterm

Seriously, is that the best you can do? Link a letter to the editor from an left-wing activist pretty much seeing eye-to-eye with him on most issues? It's about as credible as referencing one of your  own posts as a valid support for claims made.

While some seem keen on making the guy a hero, let's bear in mind he's a career politician - doubt he did an honest day's job in his life. Considering he's not really mentioned in the ANL Wikipedia page, nor is there much reference to his "instrumental" involvement in "forming" the ANL on his own Wikipedia page, I kinda think you're exaggerating some. Corbyn campaigned on anti-racism ticket, sure. I don't know that there was a whole lot of "involvement" when it came to anti-antisemitism specifically, though.

And like Corbyn, you're deflecting. Rather than address his questionable actions, and problematic statements - the answer is but but but Israel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, pegman said:

He is an anti-apartheidism champion and that's a good thing. 

He is also an anti semite terrorist sypathiser. Cherry picking causes and always steering clear of anything comes close to Israeli or Jew support, and lets not get into his support for the IRA.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, dexterm said:

OP...
"Labour has been wrestling accusations of anti-semitism for months, and Corbyn has previously apologised for what he has described as "pockets" of anti-semitism in the organisation."

It is amazing  that a man who has spent his entire political life fighting fascism, racism and anti Semitism, should be accused of the latter now.

"Jeremy Corbyn has spent his political life in absolute opposition to racism in whatever filthy form it manifests itself,  and not just with words.

On the 23 April 1977 Jeremy Corbyn, then a councillor in Haringey, joined a 12,000 strong anti-Nazi demonstration which stopped the fascist National Front marching through Wood Green."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/jermey-corbyn-antisemitism-jews-labour-australia-cricket-a8274151.html

Corbyn who 40 years ago was instrumental in forming the ANL (Anti Nazi League)

But no surprise at all when you consider where the current Get Corbyn smear campaign is coming from..Netanyahu's racist right wing government. Corbyn's criticism is of Israel's racist treatment of Palestinians, not Judaism or Jews.

OP...
Corbyn responded: "Netanyahu's claims about my actions and words are false. What deserves unequivocal condemnation is the killing of over 160 Palestinian protesters in Gaza by Israeli forces since March, including dozens of children."

I don't care where any campaign comes from to get Corbyn as long as they get him. I never see him standing up for the rights of the Jews and Judaism who historically have more right to be there in that place and that area than there counterparts on the Arab/Palestinian side do.

They simply want to be there because it is sacred to Christianity. 

• Like 2