Australian archbishop begins home detention over sex abuse cover-up

webfact

Australian archbishop begins home detention over sex abuse cover-up

By Sonali Paul

2018-08-14T011424Z_1_LYNXMPEE7D01O_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-ABUSE-ARCHBISHOP.JPG

Former Australian archbishop Philip Wilson arrives at Newcastle Local Court for a post-sentence decision where he was ordered to serve his one-year sentence at home, after he was convicted of concealing child sex abuse, in Newcastle, Australia August 14, 2018. AAP/Darren Pateman/via REUTERS

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - A former Australian archbishop, the most senior Catholic cleric in the world convicted of concealing child sex abuse, was spared jail on Tuesday when he was ordered to serve his one-year sentence at home.

Newcastle Court Magistrate Robert Stone allowed Philip Wilson, 67, to serve his detention at home after an assessment by prison authorities due to a range of health issues, including heart disease, faced by the former archbishop.

Wilson was ordered to begin serving his detention on Tuesday in New South Wales state and would be eligible for parole in February 2019, the court said, without disclosing the address of where he would be held.

Australian Broadcasting Corp. Television showed Wilson being driven away from the court in Newcastle, about 170 km (105 miles) north of Sydney. It said he would be staying at his sister's house.

Wilson has said he planned to appeal against his conviction for failing to disclose to police abuse by a priest, Father James Fletcher, after being told about it in 1976 by two victims.

An angry victim of Fletcher who was not involved in the case against Wilson confronted the former archbishop outside the court, pressing him to apologise and saying the appeal process would prolong the pain suffered by abuse victims.

"Where is the contrition from former Archbishop Wilson? His Grace, as somebody just said upstairs, has shown no grace," abuse survivor Peter Gogarty said outside the court.

"This man said two weeks ago he was resigning as the Archbishop of Adelaide because of the hurt done to people like me, but I am still here and still hurting," he said.

Wilson resigned as archbishop of Adelaide in July, two months after being convicted. He wanted to hold on to the position until he completed his appeal but came under pressure from Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, fellow clerics and abuse victims to quit.

Pope Francis named Bishop Greg O'Kelly to run the Archdiocese of Adelaide until a new archbishop has been appointed.

"Bishop O'Kelly said he was keeping Archbishop Wilson in his prayers as he formally commences this stage in his life, while also remembering the victims and survivors of abuse in the church," the archdiocese said in a statement.

Wilson would be staying at a relative's home, it said.

The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, the country's top Catholic body that Wilson once led, had no immediate comment.

(Reporting by Sonali Paul; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-14

14 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

I read on the BBC that he didn't do anything because he wanted to protect the reputation of the Catholic church!  Since when is the reputation of a religious body more important than the sexual and mental health of children?

No reply from the bead-rattling community.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pegman said:

Slap on the wrist.

Now he has to order out for his daily  Aussie little boy ration.Why did not the Aussie courts put him in prison ? Are they afraid of the Catholic church ? Pussy s

Edited by AsiaHand

He isn't a paedophile, he hid the misdeeds of his priest mates.  He should be open to sanctions, of course. He was allowed to resign as bishop rather than be sacked. I suppose his reputation is shattered, and there is something good in that. Being confined to his siter's home for 6 months is somewhat lenient. Back in the day the whole of society, was to a degree complicit. It is a foul and nasty crime that he helped cover up and I hope he begins to feel desperately ashamed. Instead I hear he is contemplating an appeal. No doubt that will be funded from the tax free funds of the church.

• Like 2

This is bullshit.

It is 2018.

Without a doubt, every branch of Science and Math including their best shot, string theory, have failed to reveal any god(s), be they Mars, Apollo, Thor, Yahweh, the flying Spaghetti Monster.

The Christ, is now 18 years overdue by all denominational common reckoning, as they truly believed, even as recently as the 1960s, when I was indoctrinated, that we would not make it to the second (Christian) Millennium, but they've since been busted -big time!

Maybe his departure from Heavens VIP terminal got delayed by EL AL security interviews?

Religions are THE snake oil scam of world history, there are no gods, only cold, deep, space.

Jail this parasite.

3 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

Religions are THE snake oil scam of world history, there are no gods, only cold, deep, space.

Jail this parasite.

Unfortunately, humankind is hard-wired for religion. There is not a race on the planet without a religion of some sort.

Holders of religious office will always have a higher proportion of exploitative predators than the population as a whole. It's just too good an opportunity for them to miss.

So we are stuck with them, I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Unfortunately, humankind is hard-wired for religion. There is not a race on the planet without a religion of some sort.

Holders of religious office will always have a higher proportion of exploitative predators than the population as a whole. It's just too good an opportunity for them to miss.

So we are stuck with them, I'm afraid.

The CP of China, barstewards that they are, are on the case in this regard, the latest BS there is Falun Gong.

It's one thing to allow free thought, even permit the feeble minded their false comfort from imaginary sky daddies, it's quite another to hijack developing human minds, as religions do, without accountability.

And I might add, atheist Governments use the same shit to push nationalistic agendas.

I'm against all forms of thought control.

One day, this brainwashing for (insert your heavenly cop here) will be a form of child abuse, as it should be.

Religion only exists because rational thought continues to be discouraged in youngsters under age 7, by adult children who were brainwashed under age 7, myself included.

Santa being the biggest example of how real these ideas are to kids. Then, after 7 that shit is hardwired, and it takes exceptional effort to break out.

Let them pray to the three wise monkeys for all I care, but tax, and if necessary, jail their leaders -like the rest of us.

• Like 2

....sex crimes against children....for years....(?).....decades...???

...and that is the punishment....

...concealing makes him a supporter...an accomplice....doesn't it...???

...and where are the victims....???

...are they even still alive...???

...and do you think that they would feel....'justice has been served'....???

...gotta give more credence to all those 'conspiracy' videos....

...the state of ...'humanity'....'civilization'...today.....

Edited by SOTIRIOS
...grammar...changed 'will' to 'would'...
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

He isn't a paedophile, he hid the misdeeds of his priest mates.  He should be open to sanctions, of course. He was allowed to resign as bishop rather than be sacked. I suppose his reputation is shattered, and there is something good in that. Being confined to his siter's home for 6 months is somewhat lenient. Back in the day the whole of society, was to a degree complicit. It is a foul and nasty crime that he helped cover up and I hope he begins to feel desperately ashamed. Instead I hear he is contemplating an appeal. No doubt that will be funded from the tax free funds of the church.

He was part of a systemic cover up. He thought he was above the law. He thought they all were. And you are as sick as him and all the paedos who were allowed to continue destroying lives.

• Sad 1

Paddy walks into his favourite outback watering hole and sees Shamus in tears at the bar.

Paddy says "Bejeesus whats the matter Shamus"

Shamus replies " Paddy my mam just died"

Paddy says " My god Shamus do you want me to give a call Archbishop Wilson"

Shamus replies " <deleted> off Paddy, Sex is the last thing on my mind at the minute" 

Scum bag priests. Total hypocrisy. Men of god my you know what.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rott said:

No reply from the bead-rattling community.

Well, I'm a member of the "bead rattling community", and I, along with many other "bead rattlers" think that this sentence is too lenient. 

Having said that, perhaps I may point out that the sentence was imposed by the Australian judicial system rather than the Roman Catholic Church. 

I shall continue "bead rattling" because this fellow, and his like are merely a conduit (malformed and rotten) rather than the focus of my faith. 

There you are, a reply from the "bead rattling community"! I hope it hasn't disappointed? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well, I'm a member of the "bead rattling community", and I, along with many other "bead rattlers" think that this sentence is too lenient. 

Having said that, perhaps I may point out that the sentence was imposed by the Australian judicial system rather than the Roman Catholic Church. 

I shall continue "bead rattling" because this fellow, and his like are merely a conduit (malformed and rotten) rather than the focus of my faith. 

There you are, a reply from the "bead rattling community"! I hope it hasn't disappointed? 

And how was he treated by the RC Church? Harshly or leniently? Was it them who reported the matter to the police or did they want it hushed up for the good name of the church?

5 minutes ago, rott said:

And how was he treated by the RC Church? Harshly or leniently? Was it them who reported the matter to the police or did they want it hushed up for the good name of the church?

I don't know how it was treated by the Roman Catholic Church. Since he was prosecuted and sentenced by the Australian authorities one assumes they were party to the progress. 

Are you sure that you are not extending your contempt for the despicable acts of the abusers, and now proven by the courts to be condoned by this man, to the entire "bead rattling community". 

I can accept that you despise the Roman Catholic Church as an institution, and maybe hold in contempt its beliefs. I do wonder to what extent you believe these acts reflect and should colour the worldwide two millenia old institution. 

Just now, JAG said:

I don't know how it was treated by the Roman Catholic Church. Since he was prosecuted and sentenced by the Australian authorities one assumes they were party to the progress. 

Are you sure that you are not extending your contempt for the despicable acts of the abusers, and now proven by the courts to be condoned by this man, to the entire "bead rattling community". 

I can accept that you despise the Roman Catholic Church as an institution, and maybe hold in contempt its beliefs. I do wonder to what extent you believe these acts reflect and should colour the worldwide two millenia old institution. 

I fully accept and respect your belief system.  I am not so sure that a thorough examination of the worldwide two millenia old institution reflects very well on it.  Stephen Fry puts it far more eloquently than I could.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

JAG if you read anything about it you will see that they were a very reluctant party.

I am not extending anything to the RC community, to use a hackneyed saying some of my best friends are RC. In fact I was drinking with one last night.

These acts (i.e. the cover-up) represent exactly what this organisation has achieved in what you claim is two millennia. History tells us differently but still. In the early days of Christianity people died willingly for their faith and nowadays this has changed to people using their faith to escape punishment for their crimes.

15 hours ago, Small Joke said:

The CP of China, barstewards that they are, are on the case in this regard, the latest BS there is Falun Gong.

It's one thing to allow free thought, even permit the feeble minded their false comfort from imaginary sky daddies, it's quite another to hijack developing human minds, as religions do, without accountability.

And I might add, atheist Governments use the same shit to push nationalistic agendas.

I'm against all forms of thought control.

One day, this brainwashing for (insert your heavenly cop here) will be a form of child abuse, as it should be.

Religion only exists because rational thought continues to be discouraged in youngsters under age 7, by adult children who were brainwashed under age 7, myself included.

Santa being the biggest example of how real these ideas are to kids. Then, after 7 that shit is hardwired, and it takes exceptional effort to break out.

Let them pray to the three wise monkeys for all I care, but tax, and if necessary, jail their leaders -like the rest of us.

Well, you've just ruined my Xmas!  Next thing you'll be claiming is that reindeer can't fly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rott said:

He was part of a systemic cover up. He thought he was above the law. He thought they all were. And you are as sick as him and all the paedos who were allowed to continue destroying lives. 

You may disagree with my conclusions, but I respectfully (you should try that) suggest that you learn how to read and comprehend.

I went to a catholic school in the 60's , I know all about these rock spiders , as well as the brothers who taught us. I think when they go to become a priest or brother they take lessons on child abuse and how to get away with it . This is just a tip of the ice berg /

20 hours ago, Cats4ever said:

Back in the day the whole of society, was to a degree complicit.

To this day many are in a sense complicit in many things that are reasonably considered offensive to a civil society.

Wife beating/ occasional slapping/intimidation would top the list.

• Thanks 1

Just now, lambchops said:

To this day many are in a sense complicit in many things that are reasonably considered offensive to a civil society.

Wife beating/ occasional slapping/intimidation would top the list.

I really don't see how you can compare sexual molestation and RAPE of a child to wife beating/occasional slapping/intimidation.  None of the aforesaid are acceptable but the organised cover up by a religious body of the deeply offensive and criminal actions of its own staff is utterly reprehensible.

A quick overview of criminology may even lead you to realise that spousal abuse is often carried out by individuals who were physically or sexually abused as children.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animalmagic said:

I fully accept and respect your belief system.  I am not so sure that a thorough examination of the worldwide two millenia old institution reflects very well on it.  Stephen Fry puts it far more eloquently than I could.

Bet no Catholics will bother with this incredibly eloquent address, BUT I did, and learned, among other horrors, that Thomas Moore (now a Saint) tortured and murdered Londoners for reading or even owning a copy of the Bible, written in English.

Jesus wept.