Inserting Links

Mossfinn

Oh dear, Endure, I have no idea what you have just asked me to do?

I will try again tomorrow when my mind isn't so cluttered with the Irish Constitution.

Sorry, a comment on a previous thread of mine.

Thanks for the help, I will sort it tomorrow.

Good Luck

Moss

Moss,

Identify the website you want to link to and copy the address (highlight it and press ctrl+c). Open the text editor (the box in which you type your posts) and click on the button at the top. This brings up a box like this:-

Paste the website address you want to link to in the box and click OK. This brings up another box:-

Enter the text as you want to define the link and click OK. Then finish off your post in the normal way.

Scouse.

Thanks Endure and Scouse, I am almost getting there!!

But am struggling with one point, I have been able to bring up all the boxes you state Scouse, but when I type in the text I want to call it, the full website still appears although the name I want is also in the title.

The link also doesn't follow through.

Now I think this is down to pressing ctrl + C.

Is there an individual button for this?

I am presently pressing ctrl ( bottom left of keyboard ) and C, 5th key in from left, second row up.

Now please don't laugh, I am feeling quite inadequate :o

Thanks

Moss

Thanks Endure and Scouse, I am almost getting there!!

But am struggling with one point, I have been able to bring up all the boxes you state Scouse, but when I type in the text I want to call it, the full website still appears although the name I want is also in the title.

The link also doesn't follow through.

Now I think this is down to pressing ctrl + C.

Is there an individual button for this?

I am presently pressing ctrl ( bottom left of keyboard ) and C, 5th key in from left, second row up.

Now please don't laugh, I am feeling quite inadequate :o

Thanks

Moss

Moss I had the same mystery and if you look at Preview Post the Url disappears and only what u put in the 2nd box ( from Scouse's post) will appear in the post., underlined

5th ?? Shift Z X C = 4th

You can also use the drop down menus at he top of the screen File Edit

Cheers

Edited by OneeyedJohn

Nope, it doesn't work for me. I first copied the URL of this topic as I normally do. I clicked on the addreply button (not fastreply). I clicked on the green arrow + icon, the 7th icon. It asked me to paste the URL address, but I couldn't.

Please, techies, please realize that some of us (who have normal or higher IQ's) are like nursery children. If you cannot explain it, we cannot learn. You may as well be writing in Pali or Sanskrit.

As we TEFLers say, "slowly, clearly, using simple words, and repeat or rephrase." Thank you.

When you post a url the code is as follows

[url="http://www.thaivisa.com"]http://www.thaivisa.com[/url]

http://www.thaivisa.com

To change what is seen (the title) you would need to change the code as follows

[url="http://www.thaivisa.com"]This links to thaivisa[/url]

This links to thaivisa

Of course, the easy way is to use rte-link-button.png as explained previously, and that will do it for you.

Another way to use that function is to type the title first.. then highlight, and press the rte-link-button.png button, and enter the url. The text you type first will remain but linked to the URL

totster :o

<Step by step>

1. Open Reply (full) and click on the Icon (red arrow)

post-566-1171082465_thumb.jpg

2. Select the url you wish to use either by

a. Highlighting and hitting CTRL-C key combination or

post-566-1171082483_thumb.jpg

b. If a clickable URL, right click on it and select "Copy Link Location"

post-566-1171082508_thumb.jpg

3. Will now see this box

post-566-1171082536_thumb.jpg

Put the cursor in the box and right click and "Paste" or use CTRL-V key combination to paste the URL

Should now see this >

post-566-1171082557_thumb.jpg

4. Another box will show up looking like this >

post-566-1171082601_thumb.jpg

Now Enter the title you wished displayed like this >

post-566-1171082620_thumb.jpg

Should now see in your reply box a line looking like this >

post-566-1171082638_thumb.jpg

5. Hit preview and you should see this now >

post-566-1171082658_thumb.jpg

First, I'll use the suggestion made by totser.

I opened the addreply box, and the edit function of my PC already contains a link that I just used on an email, where it worked just fine. Now I wish to post it here, so I go to edit and look for paste:

Okay, there it is. But I'd like to replace the typed link with something clever like "Hey Look, Ma!!"

Hey, Look, Ma!!

Now, I think that's going to work, except that when I opened the green arrow icon, I couldn't paste the URL; I had to type it manually. I only could see it because I'd already pasted it into this reply. So, is that the only way to do it? If so, do I now delete the first pasted URL that I put here? .....done....

That wasn't easy, but at least it works. Thanks, totser.

tywais,

Howdy, neighbor. :o With all due respect (thanks for all your trouble, etc.) those are 9 or 10 steps. Like many folks, I have a short attention span. Just to learn the method, I'd have to open another window and keep referring back to the 9 steps. Okay, I'll open another window for ThaiVisa forum and try to copy a link in the teaching forum. .....one moment, please; technical difficulties..

No, tywais, it didn't work. I couldn't get through part 2.

I don't mean to be putting you guys down (I'm the dummy), but that's the difference between being an expert, and an effective teacher. Especially a teacher of a foreign language such as computerese.

No, tywais, it didn't work. I couldn't get through part 2.

I don't mean to be putting you guys down (I'm the dummy), but that's the difference between being an expert, and an effective teacher. Especially a teacher of a foreign language such as computerese.

If you select text in one window and right click 'copy' then come back to the first window in the reply box and right click paste, does the "Paste" show up as greyed out or black. Possible for some reason your clipboard (where the copy information is stored) is being cleared between actions. I've seen that on mine and had to copy the link again then paste.

Really want to get you going on this. Actually if you get through the steps once or twice it will be 2nd nature (IMHO), but then computerese is my 2nd language. :o

Old song lyric: "It's second nature to me now, like breathing out and breathing in..." Once I do something ten or 987 times, it's mine for life. Some students learn by seeing or doing, rather than by reading or hearing. My mind just freezes at a certain point, like when the guy was trying to teach me piano or voice by using an Italian tune I didn't know (and he had an Egyptian accent), and he thought I could already read music (I married a musician, never became one).

Seriously, if you want to drop by on your way home from work or something, you could show me. But for now, on Thaivisa anyway, I can use Totser's method. thanks.

Further test:

I found this BBcode resource on Wikipedia, dunno if it is all allowed on this forum. What do you guys think?

BTW, this is how I linked it here:

I first copied the web address of the page to link to (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode)

I then highlighted a word (''BBcode'') and clicked the green cross 'insert link' button in the format row above the text box

I then pasted the web address in and clicked OK.

Then I wrote the rest of this comment. And posted it. Voila!

Good Luck :o

-- Moss's brother

Looks like you've got the hang of it, Moss.

Scouse.

As those of you that know me, technically speaking, and by the wording of the text, it is pretty obvious that I didn't actually do these tests, although I was sat beside brother, who did.

The actual proof in the pudding will be tomorrow, when I try for myself with no help except copious notes.

Good Luck

Moss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

O.K another thought.

I have just upgraded Firefox, all by myself I might add, but am still administering a small problem.

I can now successfully upload pictures, so that is one sorted out.

Another, as can be shown above, the first link is using Scouse's method and the name changes which is good, but there is no link and reverts to the usual empty dialogue box!

The second is using Thaiways Copy and Paste version, which works, Hurrah!!

Anyway any thoughts why Scouse's way is ultimately unsuccessful, apart from me being hopeless.

And finally, when I go to close the link down, it tells me I am closing all tabs, so I then have to go thru the process of opening Mozilla again, how do I get away from this?

Thanks for the all help, finally got there, nearly.

Good Luck

Moss

Moss,

The first link actually works. However, it would appear that you've entered a url other than the one you intended. This is the one you entered:-

url=http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=post&do=reply_post&f=19&t=105280

when I presume you intended to use this one:-

url=http://www.oxfordmail.net/sport/omsportheadlines/display.var.1274147.0.football_robinson_aims_to_lift_united.php

Had you used the second url in the first link, it would have also redirected you to the Oxford Mail site.

Scouse.

Oxfords Result from last night

Yes you got it Scouse, don't know how I made a Hames of the first attempt, but got your version right this time.

I reckon a Monkey learns quicker than me, no further comments on that point please :D

Good Luck

Moss

PS

I am going to have a bash at multi quotes in a post now, I could be some time :o

Or I expect further advice

Edited by Mossfinn

PS

I am going to have a bash at multi quotes in a post now, I could be some time :o

We'll be waiting. :D

Tywais! I thought you were ignoring me :D

But you're right I havn't figured it yet :D

Wanna give any clues, or are you gonna make me ask

Good luck

Moss

PS

PS

I am going to have a bash at multi quotes in a post now, I could be some time :D

Tywais! I thought you were ignoring me :bah:

But you're right I havn't figured it yet :D

Wanna give any clues, or are you gonna make me ask

Good luck

Moss

Below each post there is a "Quote" button (normally blue) click on the one below each post you want add as a quote (will turn red) then hit the "Add Reply" button (not the "Reply")