Thai Visa Mining Crypto or something?

Steps

Every time i log into ThaiVisa, my browsing experience slows right the <deleted> down. Are they mining Monroe or something? Anybody else having the same issues. It is only with Thaivisa that i notice this.

Care to explain?

Edited by metisdead
Profanity edited out.
  • Like 1

Don't much about computer's,  with TV logged in and left on the task bar I can google other wed sites just as quick, several web sites can be left on my task bar like YouTube playing music with no affect to speed.

On 8/16/2018 at 1:15 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Are you saying that only the Thaivisa site is slow to you?

And the browser or device are not affected in total?

No, it slows the whole computer to the point that my mouse pointer sticks and the whole system becomes slow, even unusable.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steps said:

No, it slows the whole computer to the point that my mouse pointer sticks and the whole system becomes slow, even unusable.

It sound like your computer cannot handle the graphics that the forum requires.

Adding some memory might help. I had to add some to a computer I had a few years ago to get it to work better and made a big difference.

I have 3 or 4 tabs for Thai Visa open all the time without a problem (plus some others such as FaceBook).

I just started Thaivisa on Chrome and Firefox watching CPU load and memory usage.

CPU load with Chrome seems to have some peaks (> 30%).

When idle (no interaction with the site) it goes down close to zero.

Memory usage on Chrome (completely "clean", no addons/blockers) is about 430 MB (but with peaks up to 700 MB).

That's not a little but it should not bring down a fairly reasonable device (especially as the high values are "peaks").

Usage on Firefox is lower at about 350 MB (for specific reasons).

I have a Windows 10 desktop PC with i5 processor and 8 GB RAM.

Not high end, just "current".

So now it's time for the OP to give some details about his hardware and software.

Desktop/laptop/notebook? Mobile?

What browser is used? Any addons/blockers/netnannys/"security" software?

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would suggest it's the browser.

I use Chrome, and this thread and 12 other tabs are open in Chrome as I write.

I've also opened just this thread in Edge and IE - the screenshot below says it all as regards CPU time but Chrome. IS using more memory.

As my PC has 16GB of memory, it doesn't matter! I would suggest an upgrade from your 8GB.

Also check your paging file (Virtual memory) size - might be worth tweaking that.

image.png.a2af8ff589ce13fa4b44da67f7ad79e8.png

image.png.21b4d565578444596234a68f6edf9eb5.png

Edited by VBF

10 hours ago, VBF said:

I've also opened just this thread in Edge and IE - the screenshot below says it all as regards CPU time but Chrome. IS using more memory.

As my PC has 16GB of memory, it doesn't matter! I would suggest an upgrade from your 8GB.

Who are your replying to. The OP has not mentioned anything about his systems memory or anything else.

Mine works without a problem with the 8GB of memory I have.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Who are your replying to. The OP has not mentioned anything about his systems memory or anything else.

Mine works without a problem with the 8GB of memory I have.

@ubonjoe   it was actually intended as a reply to your #9, hence the Task Manager shots. Also, your #7 suggested "Adding some memory might help"

The comment about VM is based on my experience plus I also thought it demonstrated the difference in browsers, suggesting that the OP could try a different one. 

Not helpful?

Edited by VBF

37 minutes ago, VBF said:

@ubonjoe   it was actually intended as a reply to your #9, hence the Task Manager shots. Also, your #7 suggested "Adding some memory might help"

The comment about VM is based on my experience plus I also thought it demonstrated the difference in browsers, suggesting that the OP could try a different one. 

Not helpful?

The way you wrote your you implied I was having a problem which I am not having.

Looking at your screen shot it seems that IE is using a high percentage of your CPU. That can also cause performance problems.

I suspect the OP is using a old system that may of reached its use by date. Earlier this year I built a new one since my old one was giving problems using some sites and apps. I thinks some of the problem was all the upgrades to Windows were just to much for my old system. Microsoft suggests systems older than 3 years old can cause problems with Windows,

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The way you wrote your you implied I was having a problem which I am not having.

Looking at your screen shot it seems that IE is using a high percentage of your CPU. That can also cause performance problems.

I suspect the OP is using a old system that may of reached its use by date. Earlier this year I built a new one since my old one was giving problems using some sites and apps. I thinks some of the problem was all the upgrades to Windows were just to much for my old system. Microsoft suggests systems older than 3 years old can cause problems with Windows,

Glad we sorted that out! I suppose my wording  was a little ambiguous - sorry!

I only even bothered with IE and Edge to demonstrate a point as i mentioned - I invariably use Chrome.

I would tend to disagree with you  in that if one's processor(s) are powerful enough, and one has enough memory and uses an SSD for the System drive, an old system can be made to perform very well indeed - the problem tends to be with the microcode and drivers for the hardware, that dictates the use by date. The machine i'm using at present is 5  years old, originally on Win 7, now Win 10 Pro. For real world usage, it still performs superbly, compared to new machines.  Like old cars, a little TLC goes a long way! Another example would be my old Laptop which the manufacturer says "doesn't run Win 10" but in fact does, as long as i can get drivers for the network card and Bluetooth - which i have after a little trial and error (Win 8 drivers did the trick!)

One other thing - I tend NOT to take much notice of what MS have to say - their advice tends to be "scripted" and rather blinkered so they are actually the last people I go to for help. They seem to have little experience of configurations that aren't precisely standard, and as we both build our own PCs, they rarely are standard.When I worked alongside MS techies I found much the same.

Over many years I've found that Ten Forums is the very best place to go. So much so that after having used them since they were Seven Forums, last year I joined (as VBF) in order to follow threads and contribute. Honestly, if you have any issues, i'd rate them way higher than anything MS have to say. Quite a polite and friendly forum too  As ever...YMMV ?

Edited by VBF

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I suspect the OP is using a old system that may of reached its use by date.

I'm still on XP 2 GB Ram 5400 rpm HD , with an old FF browser with adblock , no problem even with a lot of tabs open , no ads and no 5 seconds wait even with JS on, CPU barely working . If I use another recent browser , CPU spikes and browsing slows down . If the OP is using an older OS , try other browsers first before adding more memory or "upgading" .

48 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

I'm still on XP 2 GB Ram 5400 rpm HD , with an old FF browser with adblock , no problem even with a lot of tabs open , no ads and no 5 seconds wait even with JS on, CPU barely working . If I use another recent browser , CPU spikes and browsing slows down . If the OP is using an older OS , try other browsers first before adding more memory or "upgading" .

Which was what i was demonstrating in my post #10 where I opened 3 browsers and  posted a screen shot of Task Manager showing how they each handled the job.

Of course, a slightly more scientific test would be to open them one at a time but that's for the OP to try.

I notice that, so far @Steps hasn't been back to tell us which browser he's using. That might throw a little more light on it if (s)he does that and then tries others.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 1:22 PM, VBF said:

Which was what i was demonstrating in my post #10 where I opened 3 browsers and  posted a screen shot of Task Manager showing how they each handled the job.

Of course, a slightly more scientific test would be to open them one at a time but that's for the OP to try.

I notice that, so far @Steps hasn't been back to tell us which browser he's using. That might throw a little more light on it if (s)he does that and then tries others.

Hi VBF,

I have been using Firefox. I also tried it with Brave browser with the same result. My notebook is brand new running windows 10 with intel celeron and 4 gb of ram.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Steps said:

Hi VBF,

I have been using Firefox. I also tried it with Brave browser with the same result. My notebook is brand new running windows 10 with intel celeron and 4 gb of ram.

@Steps Have you tried Edge and IE browsers (both  incorporated in Win 10)? I have no experience of Brave and very little with FF.

Have you tried Chrome?  IMO the best browser out there (others may disagree, of course) Well worth the 2 minutes or so it will take to at least try it!

Have you tried what Ubonjoe and I were doing earlier in the thread - looking at Task Manager to see what else is running?  Suggest you re-read #7 to #14 especially the tweaks we mention.

(IMO, 4GB of RAM is too low for Win 10 but UJ and I suggested things to look at to help)

Have you tried turning off all other running programs, including those that run automatically at startup and then seeing what happens?

Are you sure the problem ONLY occurs when you're browsing ThaiVisa - no other sites? Your reply to @KhunBENQ   in #5 didn't really confirm this!

Oh and if you make changes to settings, note down how they are set before you change anything, make the change, restart Windows, then test.

If the change doesn't have the desired effect, set it back and restart again.

Make one change at a time so you can logically tell what setting has had what effect.

Edited by VBF

I just started EDGE, logged on and straight to this thread (so one tab only).

EDGE is completely clean, I have rarely even started it.

Task Manager shows less than 400 MB memory use  and CPU load below or close to 10%.

Far from dragging down my PC.

A very simple test but enough for today.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I just started EDGE, logged on and straight to this thread (so one tab only).

EDGE is completely clean, I have rarely even started it.

Task Manager shows less than 400 MB memory use  and CPU load below or close to 10%.

Far from dragging down my PC.

A very simple test but enough for today.

I had various problems when first signing in to TVF. Slow, constantly crashing pages etc. Using ME on a one year old laptop with Windows 10. Changed to logging in with Edge and most of the problems disappeared. Still noticeably slower than other sites being driven by exactly the same software.

20 hours ago, VBF said:

@Steps Have you tried Edge and IE browsers (both  incorporated in Win 10)? I have no experience of Brave and very little with FF.

Have you tried Chrome?  IMO the best browser out there (others may disagree, of course) Well worth the 2 minutes or so it will take to at least try it!

Have you tried what Ubonjoe and I were doing earlier in the thread - looking at Task Manager to see what else is running?  Suggest you re-read #7 to #14 especially the tweaks we mention.

(IMO, 4GB of RAM is too low for Win 10 but UJ and I suggested things to look at to help)

Have you tried turning off all other running programs, including those that run automatically at startup and then seeing what happens?

Are you sure the problem ONLY occurs when you're browsing ThaiVisa - no other sites? Your reply to @KhunBENQ   in #5 didn't really confirm this!

Oh and if you make changes to settings, note down how they are set before you change anything, make the change, restart Windows, then test.

If the change doesn't have the desired effect, set it back and restart again.

Make one change at a time so you can logically tell what setting has had what effect.

Thank you for the helpful input. It was definately only happening with ThaiVisa. However, for the last couple of weeks it has not been happening. I have indeed made sure that i do not get unrequired programs running at start up.

With regards to chrome and and Edge, I choose not to use because i have read that they tend to collect a lot of data from their users.

I think it may be the laptop as it was the cheapest i could find at a time when money was too tight to mention!!! It has improved since i done an update and so i will stick with it for now or even untill the thing packs in which may be sooner rather than later as it really heats up. Like I said.... cheapest i could find.

Thanks anyway ?

• Thanks 1