does it help to complain to min of foreign affairs about an imm Office ?

new imm director ; here in chiang saen, chiang rai , we can only report to the local office or Chiang Khong city;

there is some sweet deal there, nepotism, cronyism likely;

in any event today that CK city office didnt accept our bank letter, Bangkok Bank, that morning; nor the passbook;

said i could have forged the letter (coming from C Saen , an hour away) and could have deposited the monies that morning;

i asked them what they thought a passbook was for , updated that morning;

and they started a group lament about the new boss,  we went to a BB branch there in C Khong and the bank manager commiserated and referred to the new imm head as 'the idiot';;

so...would it do any good at all to write the MFA about such behavior ?

we have found out that the deep-seated reason why our own local imm office behaves the way they do is because they report to that same imm off head; everything points to him as the issue

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i accept your logic ;

so to other-speak it, we are to perform the usual act when presented with imm mis-behavior, to wit:

grin, bear-it, swallow logic and pride, swallow everything; then turn over and bare a...

Pretty much like foreigners  in any country. 

any other country.  

Complacency allows strange things to happen.  Imagine if all that had a problem signed an anonymous document,  haha, and sent video and audio evidences to newspapers,  youtube,  Facebook,  tv,  government authorities. Sure something could be done. 

But nobody really wants to do anything about it. I myself am more interested in my morning coffee. 

• Like 1

A complaint made to immigration is taken very seriously and will be investigated and the outcome reported back to the immigration commissioner in Bangkok. They will interview the person who made the complaint and the person against who the complaint was made and try to reconcile them so they can report that everything is well. If everything is not well there could be serious problems, for the immigration officer.

Stories here on the forum are from people who have never complained and can only comment that this is a lawless country. That is less the case and you do have rights that you can use, if you use them wisely. I have seen enough people complaining while the immigration officer was right but there was a communication problem.

Most Immigration officers fear that a complaint is brought against them. In that respect one should not worry about revenge. A new complaint simply doesn't bode well for the immigration office and (s)he would need to have a good story to reject an application without a valid reason or ask for unusual information/paperwork etc. 

• Haha 1

I have had issues with my Thai immigration office, they accused me of having 25 days overstay, and the officer was very unpleasant. I thought it best not to take it any further in case that office made things hard for me in the future.

I have been frightened to do a 90 day report personally ever since.

• Like 1

I  understand completely where the OP is coming from.   However, I am skeptical that a complaint  to anyone would have a positive  affect.  The Immigration Act does lay out what is required for extensions but there is a line at the end that states the IO has the right to ask for any other information he deems necessary.

The Op's extension has not been denied. He has been asked to get added documentation.  There have been many reports of other Immigration offices in Thailand asking for things that are never asked for in other offices.  (i.e., Samui asking for a physical exam for a retirement extension; Nonthaburi asking for an income letter from an Embassy be certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

A complaint in this case would simply  bring his name to the attention of the 'boss' and irritate him to no end.  There are plenty of 'hoops'  they can dream up for future extensions. IMHO- not worth it.   Let it go.

Edited by Thaidream

25 minutes ago, Preacher said:

A complaint made to immigration is taken very seriously and will be investigated and the outcome reported back to the immigration commissioner in Bangkok. They will interview the person who made the complaint and the person against who the complaint was made and try to reconcile them so they can report that everything is well. If everything is not well there could be serious problems, for the immigration officer.

Stories here on the forum are from people who have never complained and can only comment that this is a lawless country. That is less the case and you do have rights that you can use, if you use them wisely. I have seen enough people complaining while the immigration officer was right but there was a communication problem.

Most Immigration officers fear that a complaint is brought against them. In that respect one should not worry about revenge. A new complaint simply doesn't bode well for the immigration office and (s)he would need to have a good story to reject an application without a valid reason or ask for unusual information/paperwork etc. 

"Most Immigration officers fear that a complaint is brought against them". I do not believe that for a minute, though I do believe you are sincere in what you say. How can I be accused of a 25 day overstay when my passport has the correct dates on it?

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

i accept your logic ;

so to other-speak it, we are to perform the usual act when presented with imm mis-behavior, to wit:

grin, bear-it, swallow logic and pride, swallow everything; then turn over and bare a...

yes

7 hours ago, Preacher said:

Hahahaha, long time ago I heard such entertaining reasoning... Complaints taken seriously? They will not even answer you. much less even try to translate your complaint.....  Dream on my friend..

glegolo

14 hours ago, glegolo said:

Hahahaha, long time ago I heard such entertaining reasoning... Complaints taken seriously? They will not even answer you. much less even try to translate your complaint.....  Dream on my friend..

glegolo

Do you have personal experience? I have and also know from others that have experience. And that experience shows you do not know what you are talking about and are only presuming things. 

I have also experience with with writing several Thai ministers. Often indeed you do not get an answer back, but that doesn't mean you letter is not being read or taken seriously. I have seen policy change after I raised an issue and also have been called about further explanation about the issue I was addressing. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:53 AM, Suradit69 said:

Pretty much like foreigners  in any country. 

any other country.  

Unfortunately not so in Australia, any of the left wing touchy freely human rights lawyers brigade will cost our country hundreds of thousands in legal proceedings and administrative reviews should you make a complaint 

On 8/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, Preacher said:

I have seen policy change after I raised an issue and also have been called about further explanation about the issue I was addressing. 

Really , then show us evidence of that ,  I do not believe a word of it.  

Easy, volunteers do no longer require a teachers licence or waver to volunteer at a school. Change came after I raised the issue with the minister of education.

Unfortunately they missed out on my suggestion to require all teachers to submit a police check. (Probably too many departments involved). You can also forget about the 90 day reporting, as that would require a law change. But simpel issues can be raised and they will listen to you. Just strike the right tone. 

I have experience in lobbying lawmakers in my home country and must say that how strange it may seem, but  high ranking Thai government official, including ministers, are actually very accessible. Language is the real barrier.

• Thanks 1