UK Embassy will not accept Union Pay debit cards

16 minutes ago, zmak said:

Because Changing banks is a PITA

For some it seems so, for others it's not a problem.

Must be a reason for that.

18 minutes ago, zmak said:

It was hard enough getting this account and if I shut down this account which is the only way BKK Bank will know then how does them changing their minds down the track benefit me?

They've invested to much to change their minds anytime shortly down the track.

Their banking on more local and online merchants accepting UP down the line.

16 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

For some it seems so, for others it's not a problem.

Must be a reason for that.

In general its been harder as time goes by.  and now I see countless posts on the drama and embassy letters etc. those that cruise through are generally work permit. Any one else its either luck or they prepared to door knock sit in cue for 30 mins only to be told solly mister..(over and over)Oh its a PITA alright!

Edited by zmak

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

After six pages of comment, can anyone name a specific Thai bank that still issues a Visa debit card; preferably with branches in Pattaya?

I live in Chonburi rather than Pattaya but I've opened accounts at both Krung Thai and Thanchart banks in the last year or so and been issued with visa debit cards. I also took my daughter to Krung Thai to open an account two days ago and she was issued with a visa card. In fact no other type of card was even offered.

I also renewed my expired Kasikorn visa debit card at the kasikorn branch located at The Royal Garden Plaza in Beach Road Pattaya about six months ago and was issued with a new visa debit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Kasikorn.

When it became apparent my current Visa debit card (BKB) would only be replaced with the UP debit card, I opened an account at Kasikorn (not Pattaya) and received a Visa debit card.

I use both accounts, but when my current Visa debit card with BKB expires (next year) I'll be transferring all my accounts to Kasikorn.

That's Savings, Fixed term and FC accounts.

I can confirm that Kasikorn (Pattaya Tai Branch) will issue VISA debit cards.

I opened a savings account there about three weeks ago and was issued with such a card (chip and PIN).

I will soon be opening a fixed deposit account with them in order to get a credit card.  That will also be a VISA  card.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I live in Chonburi rather than Pattaya but I've opened accounts at both Krung Thai and Thanchart banks in the last year or so and been issued with visa debit cards. I also took my daughter to Krung Thai to open an account two days ago and she was issued with a visa card. In fact no other type of card was even offered.

I also renewed my expired Kasikorn visa debit card at the kasikorn branch located at The Royal Garden Plaza in Beach Road Pattaya about six months ago and was issued with a new visa debit card.

I am curious as to whether you carefully examined the cards to see if they were regular visa debit cards or visa electron cards (marked "online use only"). I have had a lot of grief in the past getting banks to appreciate why I find the distinction important. For my personal requirements, a visa electron card is essentially useless.

50 minutes ago, zmak said:

In general its been harder as time goes by.  and now I see countless posts on the drama and embassy letters etc. those that cruise through are generally work permit.

I don't have a work permit.

I recently opened accounts at Kasikorn without incident.

i went into Bangkok Bank Jomtien to query this,girl said Bangkok Bank do not issue cards with visa, while i was there the girl rang VISA and i have what is now a card which is VISA VERIFIED (whatever that entails)  and yes i am well aware of the BRITISH Embassy requirements, my mail to them was ,you are guests in this foreign country, you should adhere to their ways not dictate to others ,how to pay, that was my beef with them. answer was,, We use barclay system , visa, tough shit.

3 hours ago, BritTim said:

I am curious as to whether you carefully examined the cards to see if they were regular visa debit cards or visa electron cards (marked "online use only"). I have had a lot of grief in the past getting banks to appreciate why I find the distinction important. For my personal requirements, a visa electron card is essentially useless.

Yes, I checked them when I first got them and they ARE regular VISA debit cards, not the stupid Visa Electron cards some people in the UK get issued with. I also confirmed when they were first issued that active for online payments as well as ATM withdrawals and shop purchases. (my mate got caught out when his Kasikorn ATM card worked for ATM withdrawals and shop purchases but not for on line purchases. That can be activated in the set options at the ATM machine.

Edited by sumrit

On 8/17/2018 at 10:13 AM, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok Bank no longer issues Visa cards. Only Union Pay which is almost worthless other than ATM's and a very few merchants.

You should of kept your account in Bangkok open to keep your Visa Card.

I have a Visa and a Union Pay card now. Keeping my Visa card safe now since it is good until 2022.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Mine expired early August; that's when I was issued with this useless UP card.  Thanks to the above contributors I will be looking to open a KrungThai or Kasikorn account.

Why not just get a visa and mc card?  they are not real credit cards and are more like debit cards anyway.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Why not just get a visa and mc card?  they are not real credit cards and are more like debit cards anyway.  

Have you not read what this thread is about????

The Bangkok Bank are no longer issuing Visa Debit Cards on their accounts. They have changed and now only offer (virtually useless) Union Pay Debit Cards.

Unless, in the unlikely event Bangkok bank change their policy, to get a Visa Debit Card their customers will now have to open an account at a different Thai bank.

• Like 1

Thank you Tanoshi for the link.  I still have my original BB ATM cards from 1995.  They still work in tandem with the Be1st debit cards I have. The Visa Debit/ATM network is part of the Plus system of ATMs worldwide. Mastercard uses Cirrus.  Especially travelling overseas you will need Visa for charges and ATM withdrawals.  So after these cards expire,  I suppose I will open another account with a bank that offers Visa debit.  This causes great consternation.  If it ain't broke,  don't try and fix it, as they say.

16 hours ago, sumrit said:

Have you not read what this thread is about????

The Bangkok Bank are no longer issuing Visa Debit Cards on their accounts. They have changed and now only offer (virtually useless) Union Pay Debit Cards.

Unless, in the unlikely event Bangkok bank change their policy, to get a Visa Debit Card their customers will now have to open an account at a different Thai bank.

he was talking about Visa credit cards, not debit cards. I don't use my Bangkok Bank UP debit card for anything except ATM cash.

I use my Bangkok Bank visa CREDIT card for all purchases. They changed my cards to chips a year ago and there is no difference FOR ME

Edited by NCC1701A

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

he was talking about Visa credit cards, not debit cards. I don't use my Bangkok Bank UP debit card for anything except ATM cash.

I use my Bangkok Bank visa CREDIT card for all purchases. They changed my cards to chips a year ago and there is no difference FOR ME

But, as I said, this thread is about Bangkok Bank no longer issuing Visa  DEBIT cards, we're not discussing credit cards.

People here are well aware that, providing they deposit and tie up many thousands of baht into a type of Bangkok 'guarantee account' that they can't use freely, they can be issued with a visa credit card from Bangkok Bank. A lot of people here simply don't have Thousands savings available that they don't need to use at times and can effectively 'give' to the Bangkok Bank for the lifetime of that credit card in order to 'BUY' the name VISA on it.

Edited by sumrit

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

But, as I said, this thread is about Bangkok Bank no longer issuing Visa  DEBIT cards, we're not discussing credit cards.

really? so someone can't make a suggestion about a alternative solution?

2 hours ago, sumrit said:

A lot of people here simply don't have Thousands savings available that they don't need to use at times and can effectively 'give' to the Bangkok Bank for the lifetime of that credit card in order to 'BUY' the name VISA on it. 

I was happy they provided me with a Visa CREDIT card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Easier said than done in practice nowadays for retirees and others without work permits, though.

Come on, steady. You just know someone going to comment about "only this week I opened six accounts with just my yellow book and pink ID card".