Bangkok Bank jobs-worths - angry customer!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/20/2018 at 10:10 AM, kokesaat said:

The question I always ask.......when looking at the smorgasbord of bank books I have is......Why is Thailand still using bank books?

Because... and this bit may be a hard for the average stroppy farang with aspirations for the good old days of the Raj to grasp, they can.

6 hours ago, fanjita said:

It all sounds very dramatic.  None of the Thai/UK couples I know have experienced what you've described.  Becoming a pensioner also didn't preclude a positive outcome.  

UK settlement and citizenship statuses are one of the easiest to attain in the western world but not necessarily the cheapest.  The visa process does require a lot of homework and perseverance but really isn't insurmountable.  

Sorry but you are wrong and there are spouses of foreigners who now live alone because they were retired before their partners got naturalised. Once that happens under UK immigration rules you are stuffed unless you have a lot of money or a huge income by pension standards.

. But go ahead and live in your dream-world, we had the reality.

On 8/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, Daryle said:

Why do they need your Passport when they already have a copy on file when you opened the Account. Mindless polices and robots at work.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Simply keeping customer databases current in face of increasing global banking oversight maybe?

I would wager that despite most Thai banks asserting that compliance with anti-money laundering and tax laws and other rules imposed by western governments on their banks does not really apply to them, they will have increasing levels of grief in their forex and overseas remittance departments. Since it is claimed ~80% of international inter-bank transfers are cleared through New York banks alone... well, you can see where this is going. For example, the time-served and reliable US funds transfers via Bangkok Bank's NYC branch to your BB account here has been recently overhauled so that the name and residential address of the recipient must be on file in the US and not just the name, account number and branch in LOS. The FATCA laws required this and Bangkok Bank complied with it.

In the real world, most people holding UK offshore accounts have already had to update their bona fides to comply with EU mandates on tax domicile. Opening a new offshore account recently with Citibank in Singapore required, I, a UK national, had to submit a completed W-8 which is a US tax status declaration mandated by US Federal law.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:13 AM, cliveshep said:

... I have the ID the Thai Government require in abundance without carrying the original passport around - my pink card, driving licences, and laminated colour scans of all relevant pages in my passport PLUS a colour scan of the 90 day notice in date. The scans are hi-res and so good I often send back the 90 day report with the wrong one I'm sure as we are unable to tell the difference. ...

Yes, yes, yes... all very well and good but it's clearly not what the bank wants for ID is it?

On 8/21/2018 at 8:00 AM, richiejom said:

Thought screw this and withdrew all my cash out at ATM and told my wife don't worry I've got a Krung Thai account, walked over and got a ticket there... 30 minutes later out of Krung Thai with new bank book, new ATM card all up dated. Never had any rudeness at Krung Thai only professional service

...but you haven't lost your Krung Thai pass book in the UK yet have you?

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Imaginative, but ultimately still wrong.

Why else would they tell me to report a bbook that was left in the UK to the police on beach road?  as the OP said the welcome smile turns to fight face the moment you say you've left something behind (I had my passport)

Anyhow I know they were just being unhelpful as I went over to Krung Thai and had no problems...never had problems at Krung Thai and Netbank is better thank Kasikorns site

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...but you haven't lost your Krung Thai pass book in the UK yet have you?

I didn't have my Krung Thai book either, in fact my Krung Thai ATM card was broken and they still served me, got a new card as well!

Any way I'm not looking for an argument, just airing my experience

On 8/21/2018 at 8:15 AM, Stewart John said:

Exactly its not so new rule Thai should show their I'd cards..

Thai account holders can use either their Thai ID or Thai DL as both will have the same national ID number, ie. they are consistently the same.

A foreigner's Thai DL may have his Thai alien ID (if he has one), OR his Tax ID, OR his WP number, OR his passport number OR even his expired and invalid passport number, ie. a bit of a lottery viz consistency.

Hence Thai's can rightfully use either the ID card or DL for banking ID while foreigners, even the most vocal Mr. Angry types, have no choice and have to use their passport.

21 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Maybe my fault for going to a mall branch instead of a main bank and agreed - even my wife said I needed a passport - but I still say it is evidence of a backward attitude - if one has Internet banking plus a debit card why not make it possible to order a new book on-line or from a machine and have it posted out?

Not maybe. You were TOTALLY at fault.

The importance of the 'home bank branch' is lost on many non-immigrants as they cling to the alternate normalcy and faded recollections of dealing with the branch on the High Street... any High Street back home.

Pay attention! There will be a test in the morning.

...or rather there should be a 'Life in Thailand' test like they force on the Thai émigrés.

12 hours ago, cliveshep said:

Paradise?? I mean I like it here but I'm here because my own Government would not allow my Thai wife to remain with me so we both came here. If not here it might have been the Philippines and still might!

Make sure your Thai wife is aware of your backup plan, ok?

10 hours ago, richiejom said:

Why wouldn't they let her remain with you?  leave to remain isn't that tough is it?  I hope not thats what I'm going to try for eventually

Maybe the failing the PTPI Test pre-empted the LTR and its Life in UK Test?

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and this is exactly why I bank at Bangkok Bank. They have the best security. They don't cut corners. 

they had the Chip ATM and Credit Cards years before other Thai banks.

and the most secure mobile banking and online banking in English with English speaking employees.

..and PromptPay rocks!

22 minutes ago, richiejom said:

I didn't have my Krung Thai book either, in fact my Krung Thai ATM card was broken and they still served me, got a new card as well!

Any way I'm not looking for an argument, just airing my experience

Thanks for sharing.

The need for any loss and/or theft to be supported by a police report in LOS despite being largely a box-checking exercise, doesn't need to be too onerous. Despite the fact that it could be still be in the nightstand in Brixton or in a drawer in Udon Thani, don't over complicate it. Tell the police you dropped it somewhere in the parking at Mega Bangna and they will sign and stamp. They don't investigate anything let alone requests for loss/theft reports.

That's another snippet for passing the Life in Thailand test.

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Hey whats the best bank to open an account on a tourist visa...i need to start seasoning some dough.....

Best start another thread specifically stating where you live as it is a total lottery out there between banks, branches of banks and location of branches of banks.

Or sift through the more recent entries in the following thread.

not surprised.

without a work permit or condo deed, bangkok bank at silom wants a new "letter from the embassy" [passport authentication....passport not good enough] each time opening a new account.

already have a couple savings accounts, fixed account, mutual fund account. 

want a second fixed account?  need embassy letter, old one expired.

On 8/23/2018 at 3:23 AM, NanLaew said:

Best start another thread specifically stating where you live as it is a total lottery out there ...

The stars have to be in perfect alignment for special service at the Bangkok Bank customer service desk hoping to open an account.  You can also help yourself a great deal by being courteous and respectful.  

Polo shirts and linen slacks also don't open accounts.  

On 8/29/2018 at 2:22 AM, fanjita said:

The stars have to be in perfect alignment for special service at the Bangkok Bank customer service desk hoping to open an account.  You can also help yourself a great deal by being courteous and respectful.  

Polo shirts and linen slacks also don't open accounts.  

Casual attire has always worked for me, but I've never tried opening one in a wife beater with pizza and beer stains, shorts and flip flops....yet! ?

Archived