Bangkok Bank jobs-worths - angry customer!

Went into the Big C Suwintawong branch of Bangkok Bank today. Updated my passbook, and it ran out of pages. So, being naive I requested a new book, showing them where I had just updated mine but could not complete the update.

They refused to issue a new one without my passport.

I confess that this pissed me off big time, I had with me my original Pink Thai ID card, my original yellow Tabien Bahn, my UK Visa Debit card, my Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card, my Thai 5-year car driving licence, my Thai 5 year motorcycle Driving Licence, and laminated full colour copies of every single page in my passport with anything on it, and also my UK photocard driving licence. All of the Thai stuff needed the passport to get issued, including my Bangkok Bank debit card so you'd think any sensible person might reflect on that fact. No way!

Any normal person might think that it was a bit of overkill to also demand the original of the passport given that my bag was full of all sorts of ID,  much with my name and photograph. BUT this is what they demanded before issuing a blank pass-book/bank book. Notice I didn't want to withdraw money, I had already printed up 4 pages of the book, I had my Bangkok Bank Visa Debit card, I could have withdrawn money in front of them, but I didn't want money, I wanted my bank book renewed so I could complete the updating - hardly rocket-science. Stand at a machine, oh look, book full - please can you give me a new one?

"Sure, no problem, we don't want any of the ID or your passport scan all of which has your name and address and photo, just the original passport so we can take an inferior and grainy thoroughly illegible black and white photo copy you can sign!" I mean - we've all seen their crap photo-copying dating back to the 1930's probably.

So I invited them to partake of sex and travel  and stormed out - I was so angry at the sheer mind-numbing crass stupidity of it all.

You will probably think I was wrong, and out of order, but I had driven quite some distance to get to the bank, I was hot, tired, had a back ache, a belly ache, constant pain from torn ligaments in my shoulder and by then a very sour attitude! I need the passbook to be updated, got caught out last year when it would only update the last 30 entries as I had left it too long, and the I.O at Chang Wattana made me go off and get statements so didn't want that hassle again.

Just venting frustration really, no matter how long I live here the rampant and frustrating "rules are rules" idiocy  thing gets right up my nose. I also have a Kasikorn account - I wonder if THEY would be as bloody awkward, if not I might close out Bangkok Bank and stay with them. I just didn't want all my eggs in one basket before!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They want see the original document which is saved in their database (which in your case is the passport). Even think, that maybe if you have a newer passport than the one is in their system.. also to bring the old passport with you.

You can ask to change the ID to your PINK ID? At least at Kasikorn it is possible, but they not recommend to do this.

The staff at my local bank know me by sight. Every time I want counter service, I have to present my passport, which they photocopy.

It's the same routine every time. It's not just you. No passport, no counter service.

Unless you are updating for extension of stay purposes, I suggest you use their internet banking app.

Carrying around a little paper book is a bit back in the day.

The account was opened with the passport, so thats what they want to see the orginal passport, not a hard concept to understand, further none of the other documents lists are cinsidered "official" ID in Thailand...

So the bank is 100% correct in this instance, and the farang doth complain too much

For a farang your passport is your core ID.  Yes, you may have a Yellow Book, Pink ID card, Drivers License, and even your name & photo tattooed on your forehead, but your passport is your core ID.   You used your passport to open your bank account because that is what a bank requires of a farang, that is your core ID, and that is what the bank requires to issue a new passbook.  

If you close your Bangkok Bank bank and at some point in the future when needing a new passbook issued from your new bank (i.e, Kaiskorn, SCB, Krungsri, etc) you will be required to provide your passport.   It could get old closing your bank account every time you need a new passbook.  

When needing a new passbook recommend you take your passport to the bank.

OP: do not blame you but these Banks and other institutions actually seem to take pleasure in wielding their power, and often lack common sense or any idea of proper customer service.

That said, maybe if it was a Thai customer without his or her ID card the situation would likely be the same...so....

58 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

The question I always ask.......when looking at the smorgasbord of bank books I have is......Why is Thailand still using bank books?

Bangkok Bank does not issue them now with new accounts.  You have to use Internet banking air ATMs to get a statement.  Other countries did this long ago but I think for many people passbooks are still useful and maybe needed.

I have internet banking, but it does NOT allow viewing of statements nor printing of them, i can view balance and pay bills but that appears to be it.

I also have a Kasikorn account but never used it, stuck money in it, got the debit card and that was that until now.. My Thai wife says no-one likes Bangkok Bank and that Kasikorn is better and gives better transfer rates. 

Anyone got any comments on that? 

I went to another branch today to get my pass-book, spread out pink ID, driver's licences, laminated scans of passport and passport and asked for someone who spoke English. The manager had about 20 words, the girl serving me none, my wife wandered in, saw the girls frozen face and legged it back to the shops. Some total - passport only. Not only that but the evil little monster asked for 3 signatures, decided they weren't all identical - and anyone will tell you they seldom are, demanded more until she had 2 she decided were the same. I signed so many times I was close to poking her in the eye with the pen and it ran out of ink! 

But - I finally got a new pass-book. 

4 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I have internet banking, but it does NOT allow viewing of statements nor printing of them, i can view balance and pay bills but that appears to be it.

I also have a Kasikorn account but never used it, stuck money in it, got the debit card and that was that until now.. My Thai wife says no-one.....Kasikorn is better and gives better transfer rates. 

Anyone got any comments on that? 

Regarding statements the wife and I have accounts at three different banks....Bankgok Bank, Krungsri Bank, and KrungThai Bank....three different ibanking systems...none of them provide statements like you are use to seeing in many western countries....but you can accomplish and printout transactions going back in time up to six months...it's looks very similar to a monthly statement....more than satisfactory.

You can compare rates by looking the exchange rates on each back's website...or your can use below website that will show most major Thai banks.   Based on a snapshot in time of  USD-THB and GBP-THB today, Bangkok Bank had the best rate of Thai banks...Kaiskorn was middle of the pack.

https://daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

image.png.0ca885b0b91db9b981341edf4524b672.png

image.png.e51ebc4bd1b971d158b065c97af7d720.png

Pib - thank you for that. And after a year or more of struggling with Bangkok Bank online I have discovered the way to access transactions like the statement. I had fruitlessly clicked everything before but so simple-  clicked the account number and it changed screen from balance to transaction records. The muppet who designed their website needs to stand in front of me and hold one of my paper targets! Anyway, it is no longer hidden and thanks to you for telling me it works for you as it made me look harder all over again!

7 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Pib - thank you for that. And after a year or more of struggling with Bangkok Bank online I have discovered the way to access transactions like the statement. I had fruitlessly clicked everything before but so simple-  clicked the account number and it changed screen from balance to transaction records. The muppet who designed their website needs to stand in front of me and hold one of my paper targets! Anyway, it is no longer hidden and thanks to you for telling me it works for you as it made me look harder all over again!

Yeap....click on the account name/number and you are now in a query type screen where you enter a beginning to ending date to query on.  So if a person wanted a monthly statement of transactions for July 18...just set the beginning date to 1 July and ending date to 31 July.      Glad it worked for you....works same-same on Krungsri and KrungThai ibanking.

Whats the big deal? No passport no service.

other rules

1. lose your bank book you have to file a police report!

2.And then you have to travel to the branch that issued it to get a new one. To bad if you got it in Bangkok then moved to Chiang Mai

22 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I was so angry at the sheer mind-numbing crass stupidity of it all.

Which is why it's completely OK to simply ignore bank books. 

I mean really, I was thrilled to get my first one..... when I was 9 years old...... I felt so grown up.  But I had to chuckle when I got my first one here all these years later, well after Al Gore invented the internets. ? 

Reading the posts of the OP,  IMHO he has anger management issues. All banks in Thailand require passport ID from non-Thais. Abusing the staff is a guaranteed way to ensure non-cooperation in future.

5 hours ago, kokesaat said:

The question I always ask.......when looking at the smorgasbord of bank books I have is......Why is Thailand still using bank books?

I love my savings bank books, because they are inherently scam-proof. Which is more than I can say for debit/credit cards or internet banking.

Maybe you should get the bank girls at the counter to know you better ? ... take them out for a few drinks one night....and on the next night, invite the cutest one for a light diner, just you and her with a nightcap later on at your place and have se*x ......you will be much better served ! ?

13 hours ago, anchadian said:

Always carry your ORIGINAL passport.  You know it makes sense, or you should.

That is a far more valuable document than a bank book and I leave it locked away safely. I have the ID the Thai Government require in abundance without carrying the original passport around - my pink card, driving licences, and laminated colour scans of all relevant pages in my passport PLUS a colour scan of the 90 day notice in date. The scans are hi-res and so good I often send back the 90 day report with the wrong one I'm sure as we are unable to tell the difference. The law requires I carry ID, no where does it say I must carry my passport - I'm not a tourist.

So as far as law is concerned I have the required ID at all times I am outside my village. 

As for anger management - I do not suffer fools gladly it's true, I find it frustrating that banks who know bloody well who I am have these draconian internal rules and I'd stay with my debit card and international bank IF that would be acceptable to the I.O's but it is not - they want to see money in a Thai bank only so one is trapped into this circle of idiocy.

4 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

That is a far more valuable document than a bank book and I leave it locked away safely. I have the ID the Thai Government require in abundance without carrying the original passport around - my pink card, driving licences, and laminated colour scans of all relevant pages in my passport PLUS a colour scan of the 90 day notice in date. The scans are hi-res and so good I often send back the 90 day report with the wrong one I'm sure as we are unable to tell the difference. The law requires I carry ID, no where does it say I must carry my passport - I'm not a tourist.

So as far as law is concerned I have the required ID at all times I am outside my village. 

As for anger management - I do not suffer fools gladly it's true, I find it frustrating that banks who know bloody well who I am have these draconian internal rules and I'd stay with my debit card and international bank IF that would be acceptable to the I.O's but it is not - they want to see money in a Thai bank only so one is trapped into this circle of idiocy.

The fact remains you opened the account with your passport and its the passport they want see, the "do you know who i am" doesnt cut it...the bank was correct in process and procedure and you are wrong..

Further as regards "draconian internal rules...Thai bank only so one is trapped into this circle of idiocy"....i also bank in Singapore one of the most advanced finanical centers in the world, and my account was opened with ? You guessed it...my passport and if i walk in a branch in Singapore and ask for something...they want to see ? Yes you guessed it...my passport, not Thai drivers license, not my library card..my passport 

So it seems the only fool in this instance was you 

16 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I went to another branch today to get my pass-book, spread out pink ID, driver's licences, laminated scans of passport and passport and asked for someone who spoke English. The manager had about 20 words, the girl serving me none, my wife wandered in, saw the girls frozen face and legged it back to the shops. Some total - passport only. Not only that but the evil little monster asked for 3 signatures, decided they weren't all identical - and anyone will tell you they seldom are, demanded more until she had 2 she decided were the same. I signed so many times I was close to poking her in the eye with the pen and it ran out of ink! 

But - I finally got a new pass-book. 

…"I went to another branch today to get my pass-book...Some total - passport only...".

You should have done that in the first place instead of complaining about the bank's not breaking their long-established an well-known rules that protect the security of your money just for your convenience.

"Not only that but the evil little monster asked for 3 signatures, decided they weren't all identical - and anyone will tell you they seldom are, demanded more until she had 2 she decided were the same. I signed so many times I was close to poking her in the eye with the pen and it ran out of ink!"

You seem to have a bit of an attitude problem, not surprising that they stick to their rules.  Any chance you may be rubbing them up the wrong way?

"But - I finally got a new pass-book".

Wonder why? Oh, yes, you gave them the only document they ever asked you for.  How odd.

18 hours ago, harrry said:

Bangkok Bank does not issue them now with new accounts.  You have to use Internet banking air ATMs to get a statement.  Other countries did this long ago but I think for many people passbooks are still useful and maybe needed.

I need one to get my Non Imm O extension, how is it going to work in BB doesn't issue with new accounts?

15 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Maybe you should get the bank girls at the counter to know you better ? ... take them out for a few drinks one night....and on the next night, invite the cutest one for a light diner, just you and her with a nightcap later on at your place and have se*x ......you will be much better served ! ?

Judging by his posts here I can't imagine any of them wanting to spend any more time with him than it takes to complete his transactions never mind what you suggest Bangkok Bank girls are good for.

Archived