Bangkok Bank jobs-worths - angry customer!

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

As for anger management - I do not suffer fools gladly it's true, I find it frustrating that banks who know bloody well who I am have these draconian internal rules and I'd stay with my debit card and international bank IF that would be acceptable to the I.O's but it is not - they want to see money in a Thai bank only so one is trapped into this circle of idiocy.

A foreigner having to show his passport to conduct a transaction in a bank, the same way that a Thai has to show an ID card, is draconian?  What?  It's only "draconian" because you forgot your passport!  Whose fault was that?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Judging by his posts here I can't imagine any of them wanting to spend any more time with him than it takes to complete his transactions never mind what you suggest Bangkok Bank girls are good for.

One suspects he would be on here the following morning complaining about that as well and stating he is an angry customer

On 8/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, cliveshep said:

I was hot, tired, had a back ache, a belly ache, constant pain from torn ligaments in my shoulder and by then a very sour attitude!

None of that is the bank's problem. You can whine and cry for sympathy all you want, but the bank staff have to comply with security safeguards to protect their clients' accounts.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:21 PM, cliveshep said:

got caught out last year when it would only update the last 30 entries as I had left it too long

Your stupid mistake, not the bank's.

On 8/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, cliveshep said:

I also have a Kasikorn account - I wonder if THEY would be as bloody awkward,

I can confirm Kasikorn can be as bloody awkward...I arrived back in Thailand 2 months ago and wanted to deposit some cash in my Kasikorn account...told the welcome girls as we walked in at Central Pattaya that but I'd lost my bank book back in the UK... they said report it to the police (I was raging inside, they wouldn't even let me get a new one with my passport, didn't look at it or ask for it)   

Maybe because I'm mid 30's and bit of rivalry towards my wife who's not Issan? , this was a customer service problem nothing to do with protocol

Thought screw this and withdrew all my cash out at ATM and told my wife don't worry I've got a Krung Thai account, walked over and got a ticket there... 30 minutes later out of Krung Thai with new bank book, new ATM card all up dated. Never had any rudeness at Krung Thai only professional service

The frequency of "they required my passport" threads is quite high currently.

There must be something in the air.

Boring.

Counter service/transactions at the bank: passport!

And for a little variety:

want a new ATM card? Passport AND bankbook.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The frequency of "they required my passport" threads is quite high currently.

There must be something in the air.

Boring.

Counter service/transactions at the bank: passport!

And for a little variety:

want a new ATM card? Passport AND bankbook.

I didn't need my bank book to get a new ATM card at Krung Thai

They need your passport if you want to take money out over the counter. It is just a reasonable way to check that it is you who owns the account. Why get upset about it? You would be very upset if someone else had your details and you lost money.

Might be a good idea to think things through before going off the deep end.

Thais have to provide their ID card. Your passport is the same level of identification

2 minutes ago, upu2 said:

They need your passport if you want to take money out over the counter. It is just a reasonable way to check that it is you who owns the account. Why get upset about it? You would be very upset if someone else had your details and you lost money.

Might be a good idea to think things through before going off the deep end

He didn't want to take cash out though, he just needed a new book

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

He didn't want to take cash out though, he just needed a new book

He still has to show that he is the account holder. You cant just go in and ask for a new book irrespective if you have one that is full without demonstrating it is actually your account

8 minutes ago, upu2 said:

He still has to show that he is the account holder. You cant just go in and ask for a new book irrespective if you have one that is full without demonstrating it is actually your account

True, I'm not really on any side of the debate here, just agreeing they can be awkward/rude.  

In my case it was worse, the girl door blockers in Kasikorn Pattaya didn't seem the slight bit interested in helping me get a new bank book and I had my passport & ATM card with me... thats why I will use Krung Thai from now on. I opened both accounts at the same time so I had backup

3 minutes ago, richiejom said:

True, I'm not really on any side of the debate here, just agreeing they can be awkward/rude.  

In my case it was worse, the girl door blockers in Kasikorn Pattaya didn't seem the slight bit interested in helping me get a new bank book and I had my passport & ATM card with me... thats why I will use Krung Thai from now on. I opened both accounts at the same time so I had backup

For me I have always found them to be helpful, but if you go in with an attitude then they most likely wont be helpful and lets be honest can you really blame them? They are only doing their job so there is no real reason to get irritable with the counter staff.

I use Bangkok bank and they have always been really helpful

3 minutes ago, upu2 said:

For me I have always found them to be helpful, but if you go in with an attitude then they most likely wont be helpful and lets be honest can you really blame them? They are only doing their job so there is no real reason to get irritable with the counter staff.

My mistake was saying I lost it in the UK when in fact I didn't lose it I just left it behind in, that gave the girls the green card to fob me off and I think they were looking for an excuse...  technically I had my passport and ATM card that should have been enough to get a new one

Unfortunately for them I only had to go over to Krung Thai and had no problems at all

7 minutes ago, richiejom said:

My mistake was saying I lost it in the UK when in fact I didn't lose it I just left it behind in, that gave the girls the green card to fob me off and I think they were looking for an excuse...  technically I had my passport and ATM card that should have been enough to get a new one

Unfortunately for them I only had to go over to Krung Thai and had no problems at all

Until you want a new passbook lol. I am glad you got sorted out with it

1 minute ago, upu2 said:

Until you want a new passbook lol. I am glad you got sorted out with it

I can get everything at Krung Thai, it was just Kasikorn because of those gate keeper women on the door, I think they get jealous with other girls going in with their husbands. Don't really need a book for Kasikorn

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

I can get everything at Krung Thai, it was just Kasikorn because of those gate keeper women on the door, I think they get jealous with other girls going in with their husbands. Don't really need a book for Kasikorn

You could be right.

17 hours ago, upu2 said:

Agreed i have had dealings with the likes of SCB, K-bank and BKK over the years and always found them to be very helpful, accomadating, professional in their conductand customer service had been far better than the condesending BS service i received from a well known bank in UK...

If one deals with a situation like this the way many farangs deal with things in Thailand, all gobby, demanding, full of self entitlement banging their hands on the counter etc, while wearing flip flops, a wife beater, and with last nights girlfriend in tow, well understandable why they dont get the service they are demanding...

2 hours ago, Scottjouro said:

If one deals with a situation like this the way many farangs deal with things in Thailand, all gobby, demanding, full of self entitlement banging their hands on the counter etc, while wearing flip flops, a wife beater, and with last nights girlfriend in tow, well understandable why they dont get the service they are demanding...

What a load of self-important <deleted> you spout - I went in to a Big C branch both times, they are unhelpful in the extreme. My own initial issuing branch, a "proper" Bank in it's own building in Lamlukka as opposed to a lock up in a mall, and also the other Bangkok Bank in Ramintra, with their own building, couldn't be more different. Friendly, helpful in the extreme, professional and there to help. In the Malls they cannot be bothered, the fake Thai smile greets you but there the helpful attitude tends to end. Maybe because they are too busy and underpaid.

We are well known in both Lamlukka and Ramintra and always laugh and joke with the staff, by contrast the face of the girl in the Big C branch would have soured milk after the initial fake smile - no intent to be friendly. The same attitude prevails in the Kasikorn Branch in Hathai Rat - their building is staffed with lovely people.

Maybe my fault for going to a mall branch instead of a main bank and agreed - even my wife said I needed a passport - but I still say it is evidence of a backward attitude - if one has Internet banking plus a debit card why not make it possible to order a new book on-line or from a machine and have it posted out?

Even my Lloyds Branch in the UK post stuff, like my new card that came last week.  A pass-book in no way allows you to take out money, it is a statement record only, I fail to see why for example, if you lost it you must notify the police? In the UK it would have the same level of importance as losing one's shopping list!

6 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I fail to see why for example, if you lost it you must notify the police? In the UK it would have the same level of importance as losing one's shopping list!

I "lost" mine, in fact probably just left it in the UK. We told them we left it in the UK but they told me to report it to the police.  (Right I'm on my way now to Beach Road police station to tell Dam Ruat I left my bank book in the UK..hmm makes sense)

The girls at the door in Kasikorn Central seem to think they are better than you... I told them I had my passport and my ATM card...(I wanted to pay in)  Anyway their attempt at ruining my day failed because I withdrew all my Kasikorn cash at the ATM and went 30 seconds across to Krung Thai where I had no problem without bank book (Only had my ATM card there also)

I think its pretty <deleted> up to whinge about shit like incompetent bank employees when you are living in paradise and not in a place where someone will chop you up and eat you.

It's the bloody lack of perspective in life, you could be alive on Lenningrad on 1942 or hey, lets be a small shopkeeper in Lombok.

Get a grip dude. That small ache means your alive. It's a wonderful day.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I think its pretty <deleted> up to whinge about shit like incompetent bank employees when you are living in paradise and not in a place where someone will chop you up and eat you.

It's the bloody lack of perspective in life, you could be alive on Lenningrad on 1942 or hey, lets be a small shopkeeper in Lombok.

Paradise?? I mean I like it here but I'm here because my own Government would not allow my Thai wife to remain with me so we both came here. If not here it might have been the Philippines and still might!

Leningrad 1942??? Are you on drugs? 

36 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Paradise?? I mean I like it here but I'm here because my own Government would not allow my Thai wife to remain with me so we both came here. If not here it might have been the Philippines and still might!

Ha! Filipinos dont like living in the Phillipines. And while I did wake and bake, I can assure you that in a historical sense, a bad bank clerk pales in a comparison to a blizzard in Buffalo or an Invasion.

Life is good. I would have had fun with the clerks! 

1 hour ago, cliveshep said:

Why wouldn't they let her remain with you?  leave to remain isn't that tough is it?  I hope not thats what I'm going to try for eventually

and this is exactly why I bank at Bangkok Bank. They have the best security. They don't cut corners. 

they had the Chip ATM and Credit Cards years before other Thai banks.

and the most secure mobile banking and online banking in English with English speaking employees.

32 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Why wouldn't they let her remain with you?  leave to remain isn't that tough is it?  I hope not thats what I'm going to try for eventually

You need to earn more than £18,600 and be a citizen to have a foreign spouse and even then you have to cough up £800 plus every 2 years for a visa extension and jump through Theresa May's draconian hoops. After a period your spouse can take the Life in the UK test that periodically changes and that many English doctors, MPs and the like took and failed so it is not easy even for educated British folk. I mean it is really important for foreigners to know the relevant dates for the Good Friday Agreement and also how many golf courses there are in Scotland.

Get my drift - it was designed to promote failure and was instigated when Theresa May was Home Secretary as part of her tough stance on immigration. She would not be able to limit EU coming in - that was treaty and in any event as we all now know she is a staunch remainer still which is why the country is in such a mess.

Anyway, in our 3rd year in the UK I retired and no one gets an £18,600 pa State Pension and my wife was facing forcible deportation on that basis even though she was working. The UK may allow in thousands of so-called refugees but trust me, for a Thai wife there is no compassion whatsoever. 

So we sold up and came here. 

3 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Anyway, in our 3rd year in the UK I retired and no one gets an £18,600 pa State Pension and my wife was facing forcible deportation on that basis even though she was working. The UK may allow in thousands of so-called refugees but trust me, for a Thai wife there is no compassion whatsoever. 

So we sold up and came here. 

So to sum it up in one sentence then it was because of your pension not meeting the £18,600, did your wife take the life in the UK test?

Hopefully Theresa May will be out soon, I detest her as well ....perhaps someone good will get in as Prime Minister like Rees Mogg

She did the practice tests and we bought all the books (twice because they updated them) at £40 a throw from memory, but no, we could see that she could possibly fail and in any event the income from the pension would put us in a position of danger if she did fail. Immigration officers in the UK make house calls in the early hours of the morning and we didn't fancy big boots kicking the door in. Remember, there are NO human rights in the UK for any migrant spouses or their British spouses, they took that out of the law some time back. There is NO protection in law against them. 

So we sold up and got out before we were pushed. A wise move I think given they summarily arrested and deported those some of those 50's Windrush people  in a move that even for the UK was utterly shameless and won international opprobium. All part of Theresa May's "Hostile Environment" where after 50 years people are denied health care, stopped from working, and facing deportation. Thailand is getting tough on over-stayers but we live within the law which can be irksome but better than what the UK tried to force on us.

2 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

She did the practice tests and we bought all the books (twice because they updated them) at £40 a throw from memory, but no, we could see that she could possibly fail and in any event the income from the pension would put us in a position of danger if she did fail. Immigration officers in the UK make house calls in the early hours of the morning and we didn't fancy big boots kicking the door in. Remember, there are NO human rights in the UK for any migrant spouses or their British spouses, they took that out of the law some time back. There is NO protection in law against them. 

So we sold up and got out before we were pushed. A wise move I think given they summarily arrested and deported those some of those 50's Windrush people  in a move that even for the UK was utterly shameless and won international opprobium. All part of Theresa May's "Hostile Environment" where after 50 years people are denied health care, stopped from working, and facing deportation. Thailand is getting tough on over-stayers but we live within the law which can be irksome but better than what the UK tried to force on us.

Do you think there is a way Theresa May will be forced to resign soon?  What are all the tory MPs doing, on their summer breaks... they could be doing something to force her out...a few weeks ago I was reading about all the votes of no confidence/resignations but now its gone quiet

Shes the one making the pound low as well... if we'd had a Leave PM we might have a different story now

Anyway I digress.... if she gets kicked out we can only hope there will be commonsense laws on foreign spouses then

4 hours ago, cliveshep said:

What went wrong with getting your wife to settle in the UK?  My wife's settlement and citizenship applications were a pain but entirely uneventful.

2 hours ago, cliveshep said:

It all sounds very dramatic.  None of the Thai/UK couples I know have experienced what you've described.  Becoming a pensioner also didn't preclude a positive outcome.  

UK settlement and citizenship statuses are one of the easiest to attain in the western world but not necessarily the cheapest.  The visa process does require a lot of homework and perseverance but really isn't insurmountable.  

Archived