Police shakedowns are the main reason I never returned

OnMyWay2

20 hours ago, OnMyWay2 said:

The good news is I did find a place I do enjoy (which shall not be named). I ended up buying my own condo, and am planning to purchase at least 2 more.  And no shakedowns!  The police apprently have better things to do.

So in the end it actually worked out ok for me.

good luck on buying more condos front. rather you than me.

• Haha 1

Give the OP a break.  These checkpoints are illegal according to the current Thai Police Chief,  They still go on anyway and their sole purpose (as always) is to extract money. They have no bearing on safety and in may instances are a detriment to road safety causing traffic jams.

I have been driving in Thailand for almost 50 years.  Bangkok used to be the worst but now they hardly have the shakedowns- too much traffic.  Pattaya is now the worst- whenever I go to Pattaya- there is always some type of checkpoint.  The last time I was stopped for making a turn without stopping. Actually, I did stop and made the turn. Perfectly legal and he knew it too.Naturally 400 Baht fine- license kept. Cop insisted I had  to go to the station to pay. A queue of about 2 hours then back to get my license with the receipt.  Absolutely ridiculous and a pure scam.  I would never buy anything in Pattaya and now avoid the place. For a city that claims it wants tourists- they do everything possible to irritate them.

In all my years in Thailand I must have been through hundreds of checkpoints and I have found each and every one to be a complete waste of time and simply a trick to get money out of people.  Normally, they just wave me through  but Pattaya is  the worst.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Give the OP a break.  These checkpoints are illegal according to the current Thai Police Chief,  They still go on anyway and their sole purpose (as always) is to extract money. They have no bearing on safety and in may instances are a detriment to road safety causing traffic jams.

I have been driving in Thailand for almost 50 years.  Bangkok used to be the worst but now they hardly have the shakedowns- too much traffic.  Pattaya is now the worst- whenever I go to Pattaya- there is always some type of checkpoint.  The last time I was stopped for making a turn without stopping. Actually, I did stop and made the turn. Perfectly legal and he knew it too.Naturally 400 Baht fine- license kept. Cop insisted I had  to go to the station to pay. A queue of about 2 hours then back to get my license with the receipt.  Absolutely ridiculous and a pure scam.  I would never buy anything in Pattaya and now avoid the place. For a city that claims it wants tourists- they do everything possible to irritate them.

In all my years in Thailand I must have been through hundreds of checkpoints and I have found each and every one to be a complete waste of time and simply a trick to get money out of people.  Normally, they just wave me through  but Pattaya is  the worst.

But you didn't leave the country. He did. As he says in his post, this is the reason why.

20 hours ago, OnMyWay2 said:

The good news is I did find a place I do enjoy (which shall not be named). I ended up buying my own condo, and am planning to purchase at least 2 more.  And no shakedowns!  The police apprently have better things to do.

So in the end it actually worked out ok for me.

If it's the Philippines or Scambodia.  Then you're welcome to both. 

Been that, done there. They both make Thailand look like the very best of Japan in comparison. 

Do you seriously think being coy is going to make any difference to your little slice of paradise? 555 Okay! 

55 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

how the hell can you take a step backwards from Pattaya?

I gave you a 'like' for that one.  But believe me,  I have just come back from a year split in both Cambodia and The Philippines. (I've heard to many negs about Veitnam to even bother.) They're worse than Pattaya on every measure, but price. 

There's a reason these places are cheap, and Cambodia is no longer cheap. Sihanookville looks like Macau now.  In the PI you go for an evening stroll and burning garbage makes it look and smell like a war zone.  

I visited several islands.  Same same but different. 

Thailand is the best of a mediocre bunch,  just don't move to Pattaya! ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeffkp said:

ut you didn't leave the country. He did. As he says in his post, this is the reason why.

NO, I did not leave and won't but I find these checkpoints are ridiculous and for some people- it can be a game breaker.  Why should the OP spend his money in a country that has so little respect for not only it's own citizens but the foreigners who actually abide by the laws.

In most civilized countries- the police do  not stop people unless they have reasonable proof they are breaking the law- speeding (a radar device);  illegal lane change- the police have a camera that records it and so on.  The Thai police checkpoints are set up solely to try and get money and often the police make up a violation.  the checkpoints themselves are against the law unless they have prior approval from a high ranking officer indicating a necessity for traffic control/

The lack of a credible police force is why I would never live in Pattaya and many people avoid the place.

19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

In 30+ years 1 attempt for a traffic shakedown for 200 THB, didn't pay and moved along.

When I first moved into my village there was a checkpoint, I just carried on and gave the cops a wave.

one of the cops told my GF what I did, I just told her I could not be bothered stopping.:cheesy:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lol - leaving because of the "police shakedowns". What a load of crap.

I've been stopped a few times over the last 14 years that I've been riding a motorcycle (scooter and Harley) in Thailand. Had to pay a fine a couple of times (once because I'd left my IDP on my other bike, once because my idiot passenger didn't put her helmet on after I'd told her 3 times that there were possible police checks ahead).
The first one was my fault. 400 baht fine and I was on my way. Boo hoo.
The 2nd one pissed me off, but only because of my idiot passenger. I laughed when the cop told me to pull over and I pointed to my helmet. He smiled and pointed behind me. I looked and there she was, sitting there with the helmet in her hands and a dumb look on her face. Had to go to soi 9 to pay that ticket and she had to go find a new "teerak". 
No "shakedown" or "under the table" business.

Been stopped a few other times, in different parts of the country, including a few times in Pattaya. Showed my (Thai) driving license and was waved on without question. Once I was given a breathlyzer test at a stop. Blew into the machine, the guy showed the result to his boss, his boss waved at me to carry on (I was perfectly sober so I wasn't worried).

Never been hit up for "tea" money or had someone try to "shake me down" whether I was on my scooter or the Harley, in the city or up country.

So if you've been "shaken down" so often that it cause you to leave, either you were deliberately screwing around because you think you are better than everyone else and the law doesn't apply to you, or you're just full of ****.

I think it's a little of both.

Correction. A lot of both.

"and the law doesn't apply to you",   The law does not apply to me either unless I agree with it.

Though I always obey sensible and fair laws.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

NO, I did not leave and won't but I find these checkpoints are ridiculous and for some people- it can be a game breaker.  Why should the OP spend his money in a country that has so little respect for not only it's own citizens but the foreigners who actually abide by the laws.

In most civilized countries- the police do  not stop people unless they have reasonable proof they are breaking the law- speeding (a radar device);  illegal lane change- the police have a camera that records it and so on.  The Thai police checkpoints are set up solely to try and get money and often the police make up a violation.  the checkpoints themselves are against the law unless they have prior approval from a high ranking officer indicating a necessity for traffic control/

The lack of a credible police force is why I would never live in Pattaya and many people avoid the place.

Very interesting post Thaidream. so if I am ever stopped by the police, and there is no LT/Col or Maj/Gen or whatever, I can just say to the police, I do not stop at illegal checkpoints Bye Bye, and be on my way.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Very interesting post Thaidream. so if I am ever stopped by the police, and there is no LT/Col or Maj/Gen or whatever, I can just say to the police, I do not stop at illegal checkpoints Bye Bye, and be on my way.

Go ahead- but I wouldn't recommend it.   Unfortunately, in Thailand the law is what the police say it is at the time.  I remember when the new Thailand Police General took over the job- he states no more police checkpoints unless specifically authorized.  I have been through 3 checkpoints in one day.  I seriously doubt that all 3 in a 20 KM area were authorized.

• Like 1

Truth being told you only have yourself to blame for not having Thai DL.

500 baht is hardly the end of the world when you consider you riding illegally without a license.

Compare it to your home country where you get booked for parking at a wrong angle , or too close to the corner or 1 min over the allowed limit and fines are 5000 baht not 500.

You buying or not buying condo is not police interest , why would they care? Why would anyone care for that matter? Besides the guy who is selling it.

I realize Thailand , Pattaya is not for everyone , but should try to fit in, instead of expecting others fit in with you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

I'm sorry but that is absolute rubbish. Yes - you should obey the law (get a driving license etc...it's really not that difficult) and yes the same laws do apply to locals (I see them being stopped and paying the fines just like you - although maybe not as much!?). I have been here 5 years, I drive a 4x4 toyota - never been stopped once by the police. I'm guessing if you end up in the States or Europe you will follow the laws and have a license, be fully insured and not drink and drive!? Why is that when people come here they believe the same doesn't apply and when they get collared for it they kick up a fuss and moan that they are not coming back!!??? It mystifies me...

A word to the wise my man

Take a butchers at POST 7 if you had done that before posting it would of saved your face somewhat

There are people who are never happy . If you are legal when driving usually you don’t have a problem , unless you have a bad attitude. The OP is so negative about Thailand yet posted on the Thai forum , so obviously still monitoring what goes on in the place he hates so much . Then of course boasting about his great wealth , ok he has maybe bought a few cheap condos , as he was boasting that he almost bought a condo (80.000 usd) but Thailand had lost out . Move on Sir and enjoy life , don’t spend time dwelling in the past .

10 minutes ago, BestB said:

Truth being told you only have yourself to blame for not having Thai DL.

500 baht is hardly the end of the world when you consider you riding illegally without a license.

Compare it to your home country where you get booked for parking at a wrong angle , or too close to the corner or 1 min over the allowed limit and fines are 5000 baht not 500.

You buying or not buying condo is not police interest , why would they care? Why would anyone care for that matter? Besides the guy who is selling it.

I realize Thailand , Pattaya is not for everyone , but should try to fit in, instead of expecting others fit in with you

See POST 46, just follow the instructions within and go to POST 7

If truth be told I dont know if it will help in your case

38 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

See POST 46, just follow the instructions within and go to POST 7

If truth be told I dont know if it will help in your case

Sadly it’s pretty clear already and glad you chose to go back , already plenty of “ challenged” foreigners around .

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Sadly it’s pretty clear already and glad you chose to go back , already plenty of “ challenged” foreigners around .

Not to you it wasn"t as the OP claims to actually have had a Thai DL

Then again perhaps you are that "challenged" that you have forgotten what you Posted

I dont want to assume you have deliberately forgotten

22 hours ago, OnMyWay2 said:

I had a Thai license.  They stop you for the license shakedown.  If that doesn't work they find something else...

What else did they find?

They don't charge you 500 baht if you have a license, registration, and insurance, with a helmet of course, just like all the other countries of the world.

What didn't you have?

30 minutes ago, BestB said:

I have considered this for a while and decided to come down on the side of education so here goes

OnMyWay2            Oldlakey       Its called spot the difference