SRT Prepares For The Construction Of Skytrain and Subway Extensions

Jai Dee

SRT prepares for the construction of BTS Red line; Bang Sue – Taling Chan

President of State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Siwa Saengmanee (ศิวะ แสงมณี) will discuss on the construction plan of BTS Red line; Bang Sue – Taling Chan (บางซื่อ-ตลื่งชัน), today. He has affirmed that the strong baht currency will not affect Japan Bank of International Cooperation’s (JBIC) consideration on approving loans for the project.

Mr. Siwa said that he will today discuss with the SRT Interim Governor, Mr. Thawiln Samnakorn (ถวิล สามนคร), and relevant officers on the BTS construction framework. As for land required to construct the BTS route, he believes that obstructions will not be placed as all land are owned by SRT. However, a committee team will be set up to examine the area and negotiate with encroachers, to prevent the delay of the construction.

Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) Governor, Prapatr Jongsa-nguan (ประภัสร์ จงสงวน), referred to the financial institution for loans. The Finance Ministry is also negotiating with JBIC and other financial institutions. He said that the government might issue bonds to mobilize funds; however, the government has yet make decision.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 07 Febuary 2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is both a plus and a minus for me, I live near the intersection of 'sam yaek fai chai' where the BTS will come through from Siriraj hospital and then about 300 metres up the river from me, so one way I'll be looking at lovely old Thai houses and people selling fruit and roasted duck from boats and the other way I'll be looking at a big grey bridge and a skytrain every few minutes :D

On the plus side of it I'll be able to walk out of my soi and instead of begging the taxi drivers to take me to MBK/Pratunam/Sukhumvit etc I will be able to simply hop on the BTS :D

Nikkijah :o

p.s. can't really see it happening for years and years though :D

This is both a plus and a minus for me, I live near the intersection of 'sam yaek fai chai' where the BTS will come through from Siriraj hospital and then about 300 metres up the river from me, so one way I'll be looking at lovely old Thai houses and people selling fruit and roasted duck from boats and the other way I'll be looking at a big grey bridge and a skytrain every few minutes :D

On the plus side of it I'll be able to walk out of my soi and instead of begging the taxi drivers to take me to MBK/Pratunam/Sukhumvit etc I will be able to simply hop on the BTS :D

Yeah, there still hasn't been any talk about funding that extention line yet (BTS from National Stadium to Pran Nok.) I would guess that they will reconsider this line again after they have completed these five new lines which will probably be about five or six years from now. :D

Yeah, there still hasn't been any talk about funding that extention line yet (BTS from National Stadium to Pran Nok.) I would guess that they will reconsider this line again after they have completed these five new lines which will probably be about five or six years from now. :D

I can live in hope(and fear)

This link takes you to the proposed finished project...

planned routes

unfortunately you will have to right click on the main image and save to your pc to view it fully in an image previewer or photo editing software

Edited by Nikkijah

This link takes you to the proposed schedule of work, I assume we can simply follow the colour coding to see which line is which, also using the thai dates I would say EVERYTHING is well behind schedule :D

timescale

Nikki, that's the timeline for BTS extension from On Nut - Bang Na which is under construction right now. I'd say it's still pretty much on schedule. But yeah....the other lines are about 2 years behind the original plans (if not more).... :o

This link takes you to the proposed schedule of work, I assume we can simply follow the colour coding to see which line is which, also using the thai dates I would say EVERYTHING is well behind schedule :D

timescale

Nikki, that's the timeline for BTS extension from On Nut - Bang Na which is under construction right now. I'd say it's still pretty much on schedule. But yeah....the other lines are about 2 years behind the original plans (if not more).... :o

So doesn't the colour-coding mean anything? I can't read Thai yet but the colours and dates tell a story alone...

Nikkijah :D

So doesn't the colour-coding mean anything? I can't read Thai yet but the colours and dates tell a story alone...

The color coding probably was intended to help make it easier to read. If you look at the years and months (numbered from 1-12), it should make more sense to you. I can try to roughly translate the items on the left hand side column for you. (I'm Thai)

They are:

1. Public announcement of the project

2. Tree removal

3. Telephone line removal

4. Power line removal

Putting the powerlines underground

Removal of powelines: 69/115 KV (Kilo Volts)

Removal of powelines: 24 KV (Kilo Volts)

5. Removal of drainage on the footpath

6. Elevated Railway construction

7. Station construction

8. Laying the rails (Not sure what the correct English term for this is.)

9. Installing the train system.

:D

the project you link to was scraped by the new government in november from 8 to 5 lines and they even changed colour code.

For example the taling chan line use to be pink and suppose to run directly to the new airport and now is red and runs to bang su.

wait for yet another government to further reduce the rail project

the project you link to was scraped by the new government in november from 8 to 5 lines and they even changed colour code.

For example the taling chan line use to be pink and suppose to run directly to the new airport and now is red and runs to bang su.

wait for yet another government to further reduce the rail project

The color code has always been the same, and I don't remember the pink line was ever the taling chan line. If the memory serves me right, it's always been the Pak Kret line that would run along Chang Wattana Rd. It's not on the map that Nikki posted because it was deemed a low priority.

And I'm pretty sure that the five lines that have just been approved by the cabinet will be built. As for the rest, I personally believe that they all will be built eventually...but when I don't know. :o

BTS extension routes are ready to be implemented

The Director of the Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning Office, Mr. Maitri Srinarawat, stated that the transport system of five BTS extension routes is ready to be implemented.

As for the progress of the project, the Cabinet has already approved the project, saying that the auction will start soon. The auction of the construction of BTS Red line; Bang Sue – Taling Chan (บางซื่อ-ตลื่งชัน), under the responsibility of State Railway of Thailand (SRT) will start on April this year, and its construction is expected to begin on December. The construction will take three years.

At the same time, the auction of BTS Purple line, Bang Sue – Bang Yai (บางซื่อ- บางใหญ่), will start on June, and its construction will be implemented on December.

Bang Sue- Tha Pra (บางซื่อ-ท่าพระ) BTS route will be auctioned on October and constructed on April next year.

Bang Sue –Rangsit (บางซื่อ-รังสิต) BTS route will be auctioned on November. Meanwhile, Baering – Samutprakarn (แบริ่ง-สมุทรปราการ) will open for auction this December.

There is no land expropriate for the construction, adding that the budget of the construction is estimated at 165 billion baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 10 February 2007

• 1 month later...

Transport Ministry insists on constructing of 5 lines BTS

The Ministry of Transport will continue the construction of the five-route skytrain project as it would be an important part of the transportation system in Bangkok.

Transport Minister Admiral Thira Haocharoen commented on Finance Minister Chalongphob Sussangkarn's policy to decrease the number of skytrain routes to be constructed, saying the construction plan will be based on the financial condition. Admiral Thira has suggested that the construction should start with the red line between Bang Sue to Taling Chan and Bang Sue to Rangsit. However, the issue needs to be discussed with the Ministry of Finance by next week.

Meanwhile, Mr. Sansern Wongcha-um, the Deputy Minister of Transport, said the Ministry of Finance will be responsible for the budget of the construction, adding that the financial support will be provided by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC).

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 March 2007

There has to be maps some place. Between that and the yes we do and the no we don’t need it fights I am confused what is going on and what is on hold. Other than the construction past On nut and the new stations past Saphan Taksin I don’t know what is going on where.

Any map links?

Acquiesce and John K., you guys can look at the "planed routes" map that Nikkijah provided in post #4. That's the pretty much what's been approved by the current gov't so far, bar the orange line and the purple line that will go underground. Bang Sue-Taling Chan part that will be first constructed is on the west side in the map.

Here's the latest news regarding the five transit lines from Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/13Mar2007_news16.php

All five transit routes in capital to go ahead

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The Finance and Transport ministries yesterday ended the confusion over the future of the city's mass transit lines with a promise to push ahead with all projects that the government had already approved.

Instead of limiting Bangkok's new electric railways to two lines, Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said the government's decision to build five lines remained unchanged.

The five electric railways are the 27km Blue Line (Hua Lamphong-Bang Khae and Bang Sue-Tha Phra); the 23km Purple Line (Bang Yai-Bang Sue); the 41km Red Line (Rangsit-Bang Sue-Taling Chan and Makkasan-Hua Mak); the 14km Light Green Line (Onnuj-Samut Prakan) and the 13km Dark Green Line (Mor Chit-Saphan Mai).

Mr Sansern added that the bid invitation for the Bang Sue-Taling Chan section of the Red Line would be delayed from next month for two more months because the State Railway of Thailand would hire a consultancy firm to estimate the investment and draft bidding terms first.

JBIC has yet approved loans for Thailand to construct BTS-extension route

Deputy Finance Minister, Sommai Pasee (สมหมาย ภาษี), has indicated that the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) has yet approved loans for Thailand to construct BTS-extension route.

In regard to the meeting between Deputy Finance Minister and JBIC officer, Mr. Sommai said he received positive signs from the bank. However, he said the JBIC has yet decided on whether it will grant loans to Thailand to construct BTS-extension rote. He said that JBIC is currently considering details, saying that the approval of the loan must go through various processes, including the consideration of Japanese House of Representative.

At the same time, JBIC has reminded Thai government to implement the construction in a transparent manner.

Mr. Sommai said that the government will take loan from the financial institute in the country to construct 41-kilometer BTS Talingchan-Bang Sue (ตลิ่งชัน-บางซื่อ) route. The construction costs 53 billion baht.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 March 2007

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/21...ss_30029814.php

Ascon will yield to Japanese partner on train project

Ascon Construction is ready to give a new Japanese partner 20 per cent of its proposed stake in a joint venture set up to bid on the electric-train projects.

Ascon executive chairman and CEO Pattanapong Tanumathaya said yesterday it had signed a primary agreement with German-based construction firm Starbag to set up a joint venture to bid jointly for the extension of five electric-rail routes linking Bangkok with its suburbs.

In spite of uncertainties, he expects the first line to be opened for bidding to be the Red Line's Bang Sue-Taling Chan section. This line can be opened for bidding without JBIC loans.

However, he said bidding for this section was unlikely to take place as scheduled next month, because the State Railway of Thailand was seeking new consultants to redesign its construction plan, a process that was expected to take four months.

Previously, Sombat Kitjalaksana, managing director of Bangkok Metro, operator of the subway, said the company and its partners were ready to bid for operation of all five electric-rail routes. He added that parent firm Ch Karnchang was also ready to bid to construct the lines.

Meanwhile, Italian-Thai Development is also ready to bid jointly for the project, in an attempt to control at least 30 per cent of the Bt165.4-billion budget, the company's management said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/22...ss_30029910.php

Siemens ready for five routes

German-based Siemens is ready to bid jointly for the extension of five electric-rail routes, says Lothar Herrmann, president and CEO in charge of Thailand, Cambodia and Burma.

"The company is in talks with many local firms to jointly establish a business alliance, but whom we will be participating with has not been concluded yet," he said, adding that it would depend on the bidding conditions from the government.

Herrmann is confident that the extension of the electric-rail projects will go ahead, because Bangkok is a big city in which convenient mass-transit systems are needed. Considered one of the world's leading international suppliers to the railway industry, Siemens is ready to support the projects.

Herrmann said the company had supplied electric-train facilities to other projects in Bangkok, such as the Skytrain and the subway, as well as the Airport Rail Link project expected to open over the next few years.

He said Siemens was also studying the feasibility of constructing an electric-train-carrier assembly plant in Thailand.

"If the company won the bidding for any electric-rail route project, it would still be interested in setting up an electric-train-carrier assembly plant in Thailand. This is aimed at using some of the local raw materials in the country, " said Herrmann.

In addition, he said the company had invested in training 400 staff in repair and maintenance of transport systems. "In the future, Siemens will invest more in technology transfer," he said.

Herrmann said it was possible to have an electric-train-carrier assembly plant in Thailand, depending on support from the government, as well as business allies and favourable returns. "If all factors are favourable, the company will make a decision to invest," he said.

MRTA to select new consultants of underground train route-extension project

The Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) decides to reconsider the hiring of a consulting companies for the underground train route-extension project. The reconsideration will be made as the Transport Ministry wants MRTA to carry out an auction to select new consulting companies.

MRTA Governor Prapatr Jongsa-nguan (ประภัสร์ จงสงวน) reveals that MRTA earlier approved the AEC Group and the BMTA Group to be consultants of the underground train route-extension project. The project includes the Bang Yai (บางใหญ่) – Bang Sue (บางซื่อ) purple route and the blue route which starts from Bang Sue to Bang Kae (บางแค). The consulting company’s task is to study construction documents and the Joint Venture Act.

MRTA has planned to spend 53 million baht to hire a consulting company for the purple underground route and 223 million baht for the blue route.

According to Mr Prapatr, Deputy Minister of Transport Sansern Wongcha-um (สรรเสริญ วงศ์ชะอุ่ม) requested MRTA to reconsider the hiring to avoid criticism about the project’s transparency. Mr Sansern suggested that MRTA should deploy an auction method to select new consulting companies. MRTA will hold a negotiation with the old consultants if they want to ask for damage compensation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 March 2007

Bidding to start soon for three rail-route sections

The government insists it will move ahead with three sections of two new mass-transit rail routes within its term, which is expected to run to the end of the year.

Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen said yesterday after meeting with Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um, Finance Minister Chalongphob Sussangkarn and other participants that the three rail lines were the Red Line's Bang Sue-Taling Chan and Bang Sue-Rangsit sections and the Purple Line's Bangkok Yai-Bang Sue section.

"The government will proceed with these three sections, while other ones will not be scrapped, but rather continued by the next government," Theera said.

He expects bidding for the Bang Sue-Taling Chan section of the Red Line to open in May or June and for the Bang Sue-Rangsit section within the next two months.

The Purple Line's Bangkok Yai-Bang Sue section is expected to start the bidding process by year-end.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/24...ss_30030110.php

Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning will hire a company to conduct a feasibility study and later carry out a preliminary design for 3 new mass transit routes (Yellow Line, Pink Line and Brown Line):

1. Yellow line (running from Lad Plao to Srinikarin to Samrong):

YELLOW-LINE.gif

2. Pink Line (From Kae Rai to Suwintawong):

PINK-LINE.gif

3. Brown Line (From bang Kapi to Min Buri)

BROWN-LINE.gif

(Pictures taken from Thaitransport-photo.net: http://www.thaitransport-photo.net/modules...56&start=40 )

The process is expected to finish 16 months from now.

The Office of Transport (mis) Planning again.

If these guys were to actually LOOK at the piles of paper submitted by several large consultancy groups (PCI, DE, PBI, TEC, AEC etc.) over the last 4-5 (or even more) years they would find feasability studies, traffic forecasts and even detail designs for all these lines.

But of course, these studies were all done during different administrations, so we have to do it again, and again, and again.

Now where were those old files, just need to change some dates and I can go to the pub :o

Rather than continually talking about it they need to get into gear and JFDI!!! (Just Fxxxing Do It).

Indeed. It's pathetic.

And tasty. According to the gvt the bid... for those line should be completed.... before the end of the year (at least for 2 lines).

And now, "feasability studies" for the next 16 months ? :o

Before his fall, Thaksin was upbeat about "mega projects". It sounded good. It was like 400 more kilometers of mass transit !

It was train party.Nobody believed it of course. Excepted the thai voters.

You remember the "meeting" 1 year ago they had with foreign diplomats ? To present the "megaprojects" ? They gave a... CD-Rom. And the bottom line was : "you have one month to give back your proposals".

And the foreigners said : "okay, but what do you want... exactly" ?

Then 12 lines, then 7, then 5. Now it's should be 3 (but the new Finance Minister disagree with the Transport ministry who want 5 lines).

Anyway, who knows ? And who cares ?

The bet is easy : those lines won't see the day light. At least, before we have a real (elected ?) governement.

Meanwhile, the chineses are able to build hundreds of km of highways, all the venues for olympics games 2008 (AHEAD on the schedule), train lines, airports, etc.

I know it's unfair to compare. But still, it highlights the problems of Thailand.

The Office of Transport (mis) Planning again.

If these guys were to actually LOOK at the piles of paper submitted by several large consultancy groups (PCI, DE, PBI, TEC, AEC etc.) over the last 4-5 (or even more) years they would find feasability studies, traffic forecasts and even detail designs for all these lines.

But of course, these studies were all done during different administrations, so we have to do it again, and again, and again.

Now where were those old files, just need to change some dates and I can go to the pub :D

Rather than continually talking about it they need to get into gear and JFDI!!! (Just Fxxxing Do It).

Edited by cclub75

Then 12 lines, then 7, then 5. Now it's should be 3 (but the new Finance Minister disagree with the Transport ministry who want 5 lines).

Anyway, who knows ? And who cares ?

Me, me, me!!!! I'd much rather be doing these lines (and being with my wife) rather than Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and (arrrgghhh) Dubai :o

At least the BRT has got off the ground albeit only one route and that truncated from the original design.