PM Prayut insists polls will be held in February

webfact

6 hours ago, tomta said:

Has the coronation date been announced and I have missed it? Prayuth said that the election won't be held till after the coronation.

And the coronation won't be held until after the election? 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

“I have not decided which political party I will join

At least he admits he is running. 

Slippery little fella, will he be able to cope with criticism when the political ban is lifted?

56 minutes ago, coulson said:

Slippery little fella, will he be able to cope with criticism when the political ban is lifted?

He is not running like taking part in the election, the coward he is. Just have his surrogate political party nominate him as PM candidate. No need for him to face the voters.  

2 hours ago, coulson said:

The ban on saying the truth about Prayut and his henchmen will NEVER be lifted - as long as the junta forces remain in control. That is 100% certain.

In Thailand, telling the ugly truth about such persons is a sin worse than murder - and will be punished proportionately.

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He is not running like taking part in the election, the coward he is. Just have his surrogate political party nominate him as PM candidate. No need for him to face the voters.  

That is probably what he is hoping to do, however, unless changed, the outsider PM scenario only is possible if the lower house fails to reach a decision on the new PM. If any of the parties like PT gets north of 200 seats, I don't see that happening. I guess he either runs and risks loosing face or rigs the elections. I think the last option to be the one of his choosing. 

1 minute ago, sjaak327 said:

That is probably what he is hoping to do, however, unless changed, the outsider PM scenario only is possible if the lower house fails to reach a decision on the new PM. If any of the parties like PT gets north of 200 seats, I don't see that happening. I guess he either runs and risks loosing face or rigs the elections. I think the last option to be the one of his choosing. 

Of course he will rig the election - that is the only thing such types know: cheating - and cheating on a massive scale. Every single step this person takes in the 'election' process is provably deceitful and fraudulent and unjust. 

We don't need to be Nostradamus to know - yes KNOW - that he and his ilk will lie and cheat and manipulate all the way to the 'election' and beyond (to its oh-so foreseeable outcome - continued authoritarian, undemocratic, militaristic rule in Thailand).

9 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I have the same sentiment that he will fail. The anti junta feelings are real and powerful and will be reflected in the votes enough to stop the upper appointed house coming to play. Also I seriously doubt that the surrogate political party that nominated him will get more than 25 seats; needed for PM nomination. Days of his cockiness is fast drawing to an end unless he rig bigly. Then we will see civil unrest. 

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I have the same sentiment that he will fail. The anti junta feelings are real and powerful and will be reflected in the votes enough to stop the upper appointed house coming to play. Also I seriously doubt that the surrogate political party that nominated him will get more than 25 seats; needed for PM nomination. Days of his cockiness is fast drawing to an end unless he rig bigly. Then we will see civil unrest. 

Eric,

I admire your sense of optimism and wonder how on earth you have managed to retain it.

22 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Eric,

I admire your sense of optimism and wonder how on earth you have managed to retain it.

I draw strength from the saying that repeating the same idiocy hoping for change is pure insanity. They tried everything including the kitchen sink thrice in the past and democracy still won. Change the constitution, change the party list number, intimidation, junta propaganda and still at the end of the day, the junta can’t change the people attitude nor swing voters to their side. Every military political party faired badly in all the elections. Wouldn’t be different this time. The junta could have some momentum just after the coup but the procrastination to hold election and their corruption have cancelled out that momentum. 

11 hours ago, z42 said:

I hope you're right, but I can't quite see how it is coming to an end unfortunately. Nobody in this country (aside from a few brave students and activists) can see Prayuth for what he is yet and / or don't really care too much about the dire situation the country is in.

The army have form for crushing any internal resistance, and they have managed to whityewash everything to this point somehow, I can't see what has changed, or how it will change, sadly.

I might correct you slightly, 42. As from my witness and exposure, a greater percentage of the population [from all classes] are quite connected and understanding of the long-standing situation. You might be aware that the Junta boys don't have a strong fan base of support and not well liked for the general dispositions. Thais aren't as numb and passive as some make them out to be. Yet, what do you do when you are under the thumb of a powerful military plutocracy for generations?  

Activists - the leadership and followers are anything but uni students [bit of a romantic myth of the rebellious student unions]. The most vocal activists are older intelligent adults, leading business folks, and scholars of various calling. 

I do wonder if many are really paying attention as what's going on - exposure and experience.

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

I draw strength from the saying that repeating the same idiocy hoping for change is pure insanity. They tried everything including the kitchen sink thrice in the past and democracy still won. Change the constitution, change the party list number, intimidation, junta propaganda and still at the end of the day, the junta can’t change the people attitude nor swing voters to their side. Every military political party faired badly in all the elections. Wouldn’t be different this time. The junta could have some momentum just after the coup but the procrastination to hold election and their corruption have cancelled out that momentum. 

Ever noticed the dominate political make-up/character of any Thai parliamentary body for ages? Regardless of standing govt - be it military regime, democratically civilian, caretaker periods, or judicial/coup installed......

This sure looks like a campaign visit. It will be interesting to see what happens when the other political parties are allowed to speak freely. So far the mood of the country is difficult to judge while under the political gag order.  This crowd was likely carefully constructed and the comments quoted in the article reflect that. 

15 hours ago, chama said:

This sure looks like a campaign visit. It will be interesting to see what happens when the other political parties are allowed to speak freely.

That will never happen, or I'll eat a hat full of something synonymous to what comes out of Mr. P's mouth every time he opens it. They will not allow any anti-junta political party to "speak freely". While they might lift the political ban (obviously at the latest possible time), the freedom of speech will be countered by an armada of cyber crime/sedition/whatever charges (with a juridical fast track of course) should someone even try to do something as absurd as "speaking freely". If you praise the junta filth or lay out grandiose plans akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, you'd be okay. Dare to say something remotely negative about the diaper general on the helm; off with your head. 

That is, of course, until after the inevitable downfall of the junta. Until then, any ease of restrictions will be nothing but smoke and mirrors.

"Who watches the watchmen?" 

Archived