Riders of powerful "Big Bikes" will take separate tests and have different licenses to other motorcyclists

webfact

Maybe you should start a pole ?

I do, Bike and Car,  ride every day, use car only weekends, as traffic is just crap
now days, bike much better across town.

I do as well - bike and car - have been riding motorbikes here for 30+ years and prefer it to our cars to beat the traffic in the city - but what I really enjoy is doing week long bike trips in the northern Thai mountain regions. Also the shop where I bought my latest bike organizes day trips with other riders which is great fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, flyingsaucersarereal said:

If you already have a motorcycle license and ride a BIG bike would you have to get another special BIG bike license???

You never know how these things will pan out......logical or ridiculous we will have to wait and see. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

lol.  You suck, Scott!

8 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Maybe you should start a pole ?

Plenty of poles already in Pattaya. Most of them chromed and installed on raised dancing platforms !

But if you were to start a poll to see how many people here (in Thailand) actually have the proper license to ride a bike (of any kind) in Thailand, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to trust the results. Those that do have the proper license would answer but a lot that don't would probably say they did anyways because many of them seem to think the rules shouldn't apply to them.

(And even if they think the rules don't apply to them, most wouldn't answer honestly anyways - "just in case".)

Maybe just maybe they should start by not allowing 13, 14 and 15 yr olds from even being allowed on a bike no matter what size. Last wk went to the funeral of one of my students. Killed in an accident between his bike, on which there were three of them and a car. Died in hospital several days after the accident so is not included in road fatalities stats. He was 13.

All passenger vehicles can use the highways in Singapore. I rode a 125 Vespa there for a couple of years - on the highways all the time. All vehicles in Singapore are fitted with a card holder that is scanned when passing through both highways pay tolls and downtown traffic controls. You don't have to slow down - the gantries are everywhere and not a traffic hazard like here. Prices vary by time of day to discourage non-essential driving at peak times. You can use the same card for parking in carparks and the card can be used at 7/11 or other stores.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:12 PM, possum1931 said:

I wonder what the rules are in Singapore for the motorbikes on motorways and toll roads.

5 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

All passenger vehicles can use the highways in Singapore. I rode a 125 Vespa there for a couple of years - on the highways all the time. All vehicles in Singapore are fitted with a card holder that is scanned when passing through both highways pay tolls and downtown traffic controls. You don't have to slow down - the gantries are everywhere and not a traffic hazard like here. Prices vary by time of day to discourage non-essential driving at peak times. You can use the same card for parking in carparks and the card can be used at 7/11 or other stores.

There is no reason at all for Thailand to not allow bigger bikes on all the carriageways at least, it is just pure bloody mindedness.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There is no reason at all for Thailand to not allow bigger bikes on all the carriageways at least, it is just pure bloody mindedness.

The reason is they would start going between cars and there would be a flood of blood and guts 24/7 when cars change lane and assume there's nobody in there.

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The reason is they would start going between cars and there would be a flood of blood and guts 24/7 when cars change lane and assume there's nobody in there.

Wrong. I am talking about bigger bikes here, say from at least 250cc up, if other countries can allow it then so can Thailand. If the bike riders ride with common sense there would not be any more blood and guts than other vehicles, they could easily cruise at 80 or 90 Ks per Hr in the inside lane.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:34 AM, melvinmelvin said:

good start

and if that could be combined with mandatory training .....

will, of course, be a challenge to find the limit between ordinary and big

400cc is what I read today elsewhere. 

Prompts the question. 

I have a big bike license for Australia and the UK. 

Will this be sufficient for me to change to the new big bike license?

One would think so..

But this is Thailand. 

On 8/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, Scottjouro said:

A wise move i think...the average Thai who is used to riding a motocy struggles with a "big bike" and then we have the dumb ass farangs who cant even ride a motocy properly trying to ride a "big bike" as well...

I would think capping the motocy at 125cc and anything above that is considered a "big bike" 

When I think big bike I'm thinking big enough to get your leg over and throbs between your legs..

I did see 400 listed elsewhere for the bike size thought of as big. 

I went two years before my normal bike license up to 250cc was then revised to open or big bike.

Plus doing the Honda advance ride training. 

Had one since 1968.

Several steps need implementation here. Like yesterday. 

A minimum age to ride a bike. 

No selling bikes to unlicensed people. 

No rental of bikes without proof of license. 

Learner plates displayed for the first year, and no passengers. 

Probation licences after the learning process. One year.

Speed restrictions and zero drink until they are proficient. 

Off the L and P plates.

All bike modification must be registered and inspected. 

Roadworthy certification a must.

Motor bike taxis to have unique license plates to identify them. 

Insurance mandatory to register. 

Helmets compulsory. 

All bikes use the left lane, all driving in the same direction. 

Enforcement of all fines.

No wais or pushups. In lieu of. 

That wasnt hard was it... JFDI.

Pick a date and implement. 

On 8/23/2018 at 6:56 PM, moose7117 said:

do you have a link to where you found info regarding "new big bike licences"

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailands-land-transport-department-to-introduce-big-bike-motorcycle-license.html

One of several. Links.

But the criteria that they state is <deleted>. 

And the size has no relationship to current manufacturers engine size or PWU.

Power Weight Units..

I doubt many Thais have the upper body strength and physical build to handle bigger bikes.

It shouldn't just be an 18 age thing.

Skills competence is critical. 

Let's hope it's not just another special revenue stream for the new testing organizations...

7 hours ago, dallen52 said:

400cc is what I read today elsewhere. 

Prompts the question. 

I have a big bike license for Australia and the UK. 

Will this be sufficient for me to change to the new big bike license?

One would think so..

But this is Thailand. 

think that will vary from dlt to dlt,

I  got bike ticket and car ticket on the basis of my international dl covering car and bike

udon thani that was

I remember when Australia implemented a regulation regarding larger motorbikes, they did it fairly by giving every rider which had a current motorbike licence approval for riding any size (cc) bike.

I was given a motorcycle licence from the Thai DLT 14 years ago, I showed my Australian licence which was recognised by Thailand.

I have owned 3 big bikes in Thailand. A Buell and 2 x 1200 cc Ducati’s, why would they want me to sit for a test and why should I be penalised.

Just start the new laws for new licenced riders as Australia did, K.I.S.S.

BTW, yes change the ruling for motorway use while you’re at it.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, Just1Voice said:

That comment shows that you know absolutely zip about bikes.  You going to say my son's 150cc PCX is a "Big Bike"?  What a joke.  

Of course there are bigger bikes, but when there is only talk of two tests depending on two sizes, big and small, the bigger size could start at any size and we could still consider it the big one, it matters not one jot just how much bigger they do get, the point is where to draw the line in terms of testing, and that would be well served at around 150, like in other countries.

11 hours ago, dallen52 said:

When I think big bike I'm thinking big enough to get your leg over and throbs between your legs..

I did see 400 listed elsewhere for the bike size thought of as big. 

I went two years before my normal bike license up to 250cc was then revised to open or big bike.

Plus doing the Honda advance ride training. 

Had one since 1968.

Several steps need implementation here. Like yesterday. 

A minimum age to ride a bike. 

No selling bikes to unlicensed people. 

No rental of bikes without proof of license. 

Learner plates displayed for the first year, and no passengers. 

Probation licences after the learning process. One year.

Speed restrictions and zero drink until they are proficient. 

Off the L and P plates.

All bike modification must be registered and inspected. 

Roadworthy certification a must.

Motor bike taxis to have unique license plates to identify them. 

Insurance mandatory to register. 

Helmets compulsory. 

All bikes use the left lane, all driving in the same direction. 

Enforcement of all fines.

No wais or pushups. In lieu of. 

That wasnt hard was it... JFDI.

Pick a date and implement. 

Your idea to inspect "all" modifications is bogus. I add a top-box - needs inspection? I add a GPS mount - needs inspection? Not realistic. Have you ever really had to deal with subjective stuff at the LTD? They are not as honest as one might hope.

As for keeping left, for someone who has ridden for so long it beggars belief that you think that is safe. When one class of vehicles is ranked lower than others, especially in a society that is so anchored on knowing ones rank and enforcing it, you invite all other classes to consider themselves superior. And as we know, they already do. Drivers will hound bikes, run them off the road and consider passing a bike within a hair's breadth is acceptable. Either we have physically separate lanes for bikes under a certain size, or bikes are given equal status and allowed in all lanes under the generic model of keep in the left lane when not overtaking. Using the left lane should not the same as keeping as far left as possible as is current instruction.

On 8/23/2018 at 11:18 PM, Stevemercer said:

I reckon the Government could make the biggest dent in the road casualties by enforcing compulsory helmets

But they'll still have accidents, it's all about the mental disorder that the mc/car driver have.

2 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Your idea to inspect "all" modifications is bogus. I add a top-box - needs inspection? I add a GPS mount - needs inspection? Not realistic. Have you ever really had to deal with subjective stuff at the LTD? They are not as honest as one might hope.

As for keeping left, for someone who has ridden for so long it beggars belief that you think that is safe. When one class of vehicles is ranked lower than others, especially in a society that is so anchored on knowing ones rank and enforcing it, you invite all other classes to consider themselves superior. And as we know, they already do. Drivers will hound bikes, run them off the road and consider passing a bike within a hair's breadth is acceptable. Either we have physically separate lanes for bikes under a certain size, or bikes are given equal status and allowed in all lanes under the generic model of keep in the left lane when not overtaking. Using the left lane should not the same as keeping as far left as possible as is current instruction.

I think you are choosing to miss the point.

The intent was to express the benefit of having all bikes in the left lane on dual or more carriage ways. Yes their own lane.

Not weaving in and out, any lane is a good lane, going in the wrong direction. 

Riding on pavements. The list goes on..

Regards to modifications to the bike, it's purpose built for one or two people.

If you add a home made cage and bolt it to the bike.

Then sit granny in a unrestrained plastic chair. !!!

Or a mobile shop on wheels. 

Need I say any more? 

DLT and other test stations are a joke,  we all know that.

Start the engine, check the vin and turn the steering lock to the right,  is not a roadworthy inspection. 

I think you will also find no insurance company will pay out on modified vehicles, if indeed they are insured and the driver has a licence.

Maybe it's time to make that leap towards a more regulated civilised way of driving?

5 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

But they'll still have accidents, it's all about the mental disorder that the mc/car driver have.

Just saw one on the news.

Lady on a bike, pouring rain.

Driving holding an umbrella. 

Right to the point where the truck turned in front of her.

No helmet.  But had an umbrella..

11 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I think you are choosing to miss the point.

The intent was to express the benefit of having all bikes in the left lane on dual or more carriage ways. Yes their own lane.

Not weaving in and out, any lane is a good lane, going in the wrong direction. 

Riding on pavements. The list goes on..

Regards to modifications to the bike, it's purpose built for one or two people.

If you add a home made cage and bolt it to the bike.

Then sit granny in a unrestrained plastic chair. !!!

Or a mobile shop on wheels. 

Need I say any more? 

DLT and other test stations are a joke,  we all know that.

Start the engine, check the vin and turn the steering lock to the right,  is not a roadworthy inspection. 

I think you will also find no insurance company will pay out on modified vehicles, if indeed they are insured and the driver has a licence.

Maybe it's time to make that leap towards a more regulated civilised way of driving?

Somewhat clearer this time...

Where are the stats that show (unlicenced farang tourists excluded), that the injury and death rate is higher for those with big bikes as opposed to those on small capacity scooters? 

Not being a biker myself, I would have thought those that can ride a big bike well probably have better biking skills that those who can ride scooters (even I rode a scooter once, having no idea what  was doing!)

This plan will do nothing to reduce the biking death rate, as its not targeting the main issues. 

So if this is brought into law, does that mean that there will be 2 'joke' bike tests along with the 'joke' of a car test?  I'd have thought a test that actually measures the rider's/drivers ability is the first port of call. What they have now for cars and bikes falls far short.

My ex passed her test in Bangkok and I mean passed without paying the 2000 baht she was told would see her pass without a problem. When she arrived in the UK she had to have 120 hours of tuition to pass her UK test.  I think half of that was to remover her Thai attitude to driving.

22 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

Ive seen a Thai on a big 90s model supersports Ducati, looked totally ridiculous and painful

One hit my friend a few weeks ago near Big A food in Pattaya. 

D. Was on his 125 Honda  waiting to turn right in the middle of the road.

R. Turn indication on.

Ducati man decided to also turn and shot up the wrong side of the road.

(If there is a wrong side to a young Thai on Brand new Ducati)

Minimal damage. 

Ducati was dropped.

Insurance called. 

Mother, uncle, and brother all called. 

The usual. 

Insurance man said give 50,000 to the Ducati rider.

I intervened as I do, and said,

Go Away. 

Will let the insurance companies sort it out.

The young Thai said the bike was one million baht.

And he had only made one payment so far..

It was his first bike...

A lot of take outs from this.

But where's the responsibility of the seller?

Apart from making a sale?

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

So if this is brought into law, does that mean that there will be 2 'joke' bike tests along with the 'joke' of a car test?  I'd have thought a test that actually measures the rider's/drivers ability is the first port of call. What they have now for cars and bikes falls far short.

My ex passed her test in Bangkok and I mean passed without paying the 2000 baht she was told would see her pass without a problem. When she arrived in the UK she had to have 120 hours of tuition to pass her UK test.  I think half of that was to remover her Thai attitude to driving.

One of the UK tests includes a test official stepping out in front of the speeding bike, to test the drivers responses to emergency braking. 

Would be looking for a lot of new instructors if they did that here.

Archived