Angle Eyes Motorcycle Head Light Driving Spot Fog Lamp add on legal or not?

Ken

A few months ago I had a pair of LED lights added to my Honda Rebel 300 (see photo).  I travel a lot and go thru many police road blocks.  Never had a problem with the police about the lights until recently.  Last month going outside Udon I was stopped.  Showed my Thai driving license as usual and all good, but told to turn off the lights.  No fine, just told to turn them off.  Then this past week just outside of Chaiyaphum I was stopped.  Showed my driving license as usual and the police man said ok and waved me on.  But just as I was leaving there was another police man who who waved me to stop.  He pointed at the lights and shook his head in a "no no" direction indicating to turn them off.  I did so and was waved on.  Like I said, almost always never any problem.  All the way to Chang Rai and back twice, no problem.  Anyway, just wondering about the legality of these lights if anyone has any info or insight.

rebel led.jpg

Maybe wrong color? Could be just the photo but to me they look blue. I can't stand blue head lights that some put in their scooters or even cars. They don't illuminate and just blind people. Pretty sure the highway code has rules about colors of lights.

A while ago somebody wrote that in theory every modification you make to a vehicle has to be approved by the DLT. I think this could even be true.

In reality you can of course do many things and nobody cares, but maybe for whatever reasons the police don't like extra lights

Another possibility would be that a law exists that "fog lights" may only be turned on in certain situations (for example when there is fog ?)

Legal or not, your lights look like a problem.

With the angle the picture is taken the light should not be so bright in the camera. It looks to me like you will blind everybody coming in your direction and I can't imagine that is your intention.

Maybe check if you can install the lights so that they don't blind other people. That should be your first priority!

It is daylight and they are not blinding.  The photo I took is miss leading.  Sure they are bright but not even close to blinding in daylight.  Anyway, not been fined yet as I said.  Just told to turn them off twice.  Yet other times which is most times, the police have made no issue with them on.  Yes there is a "blue" tint to them.

5 hours ago, Ken said:

Sure they are bright but not even close to blinding in daylight.  ...  Yes there is a "blue" tint to them.

What about at night? And if there's a blue tint, then maybe that's what they didn't like? I would just ask next time they tell you those are not ok what the real reason is. Right now it's more of a guessing game.

Yea apparently it is just a guessing game. I would ask them but most would not have enough English to tell me and my Thai is limited as well. I have seen a lot of big bikes with these lites in my travels. Don't know if they ever have any problem same as me. Anyway, not really worried about it unless they start asking for money. If that happens maybe then I will find out what the law is.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You could also try one of those PoRoBor shops or the DLT and take someone who speaks Thai with you.

Yes many bigger adventure bikes have auxiliary lights on them but they usually don't leave them running during the day and they also usually don't have a blue tint.

3 hours ago, Ken said:

Yea apparently it is just a guessing game. I would ask them but most would not have enough English to tell me and my Thai is limited as well. I have seen a lot of big bikes with these lites in my travels. Don't know if they ever have any problem same as me. Anyway, not really worried about it unless they start asking for money. If that happens maybe then I will find out what the law is.

Sent from my HUAWEI CUN-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You must be new in Thailand. Police asking for money and laws are independent of each other. Or do you want to discuss with them that their interpretation of whatever law is not correct?

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You must be new in Thailand. Police asking for money and laws are independent of each other. Or do you want to discuss with them that their interpretation of whatever law is not correct?

28 years here, thank you very much.  huh. Thank for your insightful contribution.  I am trying to figure out why you bothered.  Never mind.

40 minutes ago, Ken said:

28 years here, thank you very much.  huh. Thank for your insightful contribution.  I am trying to figure out why you bothered.  Never mind.

After 28 years in Thailand you don't speak enough Thai to ask the police man what exactly his problem with your light is? ?

You could also try one of those PoRoBor shops or the DLT and take someone who speaks Thai with you.

Yes many bigger adventure bikes have auxiliary lights on them but they usually don't leave them running during the day and they also usually don't have a blue tint.

This is true. I never turn on my fog lamps (I have 2 pairs of fog lamps) because its only wasting energy by turning them on at the day and my fog lamps is not a blue tint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived