Jump to content

Work being done nationwide to deal with flooding


webfact

Recommended Posts

Work being done nationwide to deal with flooding

 

PNEVN610823001000201.jpg

 

NONG KHAI, 23 August 2018 (NNT) – While the water levels in the Mekong River flowing through Nong Khai have dropped, they remain 1.4 meters above its tributaries, slowing drainage being done in preparation for more water from the north and forecast rains. 

The level of the Mekong River flowing through Nong Khai province has dropped by 50 centimeters to 12.9 meters, 11 centimeters below its banks. The lower level is still considered high and has slowed drainage from its tributaries. Lam Huay Luang has not yet been able to open its sluice gates and is, instead, using 14 large water pumps to move 1.1 million cubic meters of water a day into the Mekong, helping inundation trapped in farmlands to subside. 

Officials have inspected the Mae Klong River in Samut Songkram province as part of preparations to handle a discharge from Vajiralongkorn and Mae Klong Dams, which are set to release a large volume of water between August 24 and 31. The release will coincide with a high tide off Samut Songkram so residents have been told to prepare accordingly. People in the province in need of assistance can call its Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office at 034-715-835 or its Damrongtham Center hotline 1567. 

Waters in Lopburi province are still manageable with Kut Ta Petch Reservoir currently holding 37 million cubic meters of water, about 80 percent of its 43 million cubic meter capacity. One sluice gate has been opened to 1.2 meters to discharge some of the water in preparation to receive more from the north. 

In Sukhothai province, Governor Pipat Akephaphan held a meeting with relevant agencies to prepare flood prevention and response measures. They discussed supports of the Mae Ya Baan Krachong Bridge in Muang district being eroded by the Yom River as well as barricades for at-risk areas. 

At Baan Suan Tan Village in Nai Wiang sub-district of Nan province, Governor Paisan Wimolrat tasked municipal authorities with repairing a barricade that was eroded by flooding between August 18 and 20. A temporary barricade is to be put in place of the damaged structure in anticipation of rainfall in the coming days.

 
nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-23
Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Work being done nationwide to deal with flooding":cheesy:

 

 

0be718e1bc824cbadca869e383d913cf.jpeg.c1b7e82ba3cf517940e890e7a0e8472c.jpeg

do you have a degree in fluid dynamics....will be along any second now.......anyway............once again..............."there  will be no flooding"  broken record  mode

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kannot said:

do you have a degree in fluid dynamics....will be along any second now.......anyway............once again..............."there  will be no flooding"  broken record  mode

 

I guess you've measured the flow rate before and after they fired up the engines and you have determined that the water isn't moving any faster?

 

If so, I'd suggest you check the calibration on your imaginary flowmeter.

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Work being done nationwide to deal with flooding

How can this be? The self appointed guru on water resource management the Chairman of the Natural Water Resources Committee is busy electioneering for the Junta Party down south in Ranong,  about as far away from the floods as one can possibly get. 

Sharing selfies with the adoring crowd and playing in the wading pool. 

Adoring crowd.jpeg

Wading pool.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

Work being done nationwide to deal with flooding

Yes, it's called moving your stuff to higher ground as officials give lip service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials have inspected the Mae Klong River in Samut Songkram province as part of preparations to handle a discharge from Vajiralongkorn and Mae Klong Dams, which are set to release a large volume of water between August 24 and 31. The release will coincide with a high tide off Samut Songkram so residents have been told to prepare accordingly.

OK, somebody please explain to me why this is a good idea?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks best to sacrifice the poorer areas when sluice gates are opening as they are less likely to have internet connection thus keeping complaints to a minimum? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kannot said:

do you have a degree in fluid dynamics....will be along any second now.......anyway............once again..............."there  will be no flooding"  broken record  mode

No I do not, but I have a dog called "Bear".

 

9 hours ago, impulse said:

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about

And you have just illustrated your point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Pib said:

 

Yes, it's called moving your stuff to higher ground as officials give lip service.

WRONG, this is called total ignorance in disquise

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, tompelli said:

OK, somebody please explain to me why this is a good idea?

Its a bad idea, something the previous goverment did too.. it made the flooding worse. It seems they really don't learn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

12 months time same heading.

I wont take that bet.. because.. its true.. 

 

Only the scale of the flooding changes sometimes its more sometimes its less. Now location has changed a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, impulse said:

 

I guess you've measured the flow rate before and after they fired up the engines and you have determined that the water isn't moving any faster?

 

If so, I'd suggest you check the calibration on your imaginary flowmeter.

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about.

 

It would be an insignificant increase in flow when dealing with such vast volumes a water 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:
On 8/23/2018 at 2:37 PM, impulse said:

 

I guess you've measured the flow rate before and after they fired up the engines and you have determined that the water isn't moving any faster?

 

If so, I'd suggest you check the calibration on your imaginary flowmeter.

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about.

 

It would be an insignificant increase in flow when dealing with such vast volumes a water 

 

You may be right.  There may not be enough installed HP to make a significant difference given the amount of water.   I wouldn't know without a lot more information, like flow rate, HP per boat, amount of water backed up, elevation and grade, and a half dozen other parameters that none of us have.

 

But the concept is a sound one.   The water will move downstream faster.   Only a more detailed evaluation would reveal whether the implementation is helpful in that application, and whether there will be unintended consequences.

 

Just as importantly, you have been respectful enough to address the nature of situation, instead of launching a personal attack on all things Thai, and the indigenous knowledge pool.  I worked for 6+ years with dozens, perhaps hundreds of very skilled Thai engineers.  So I have little patience for the folks who get on TVF and show their own racism by bashing all things Thai.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, impulse said:

 

You may be right.  There may not be enough installed HP to make a significant difference given the amount of water.   I wouldn't know without a lot more information, like flow rate, HP per boat, amount of water backed up, elevation and grade, and a half dozen other parameters that none of us have.

 

But the concept is a sound one.   The water will move downstream faster.   Only a more detailed evaluation would reveal whether the implementation is helpful in that application, and whether there will be unintended consequences.

 

Just as importantly, you have been respectful enough to address the nature of situation, instead of launching a personal attack on all things Thai, and the indigenous knowledge pool.  I worked for 6+ years with dozens, perhaps hundreds of very skilled Thai engineers.  So I have little patience for the folks who get on TVF and show their own racism by bashing all things Thai.

 

Who made a personal attack on all things Thai? I've worked all over Asia Far, Middle, and  South East,what I stated is a fact anywhere in the World 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Who made a personal attack on all things Thai? I've worked all over Asia Far, Middle, and  South East,what I stated is a fact anywhere in the World 

 

I was commenting that you didn't.   Unlike a bunch of other guys who do.  Constantly.  And it gets old.

 

There's a huge difference between "that won't work" and "the guy that designed that has the brains of a flea".   You get the difference.  Kudos to you.  Many of the posters can't seem to resist the personal attack, even against an entire race of people.  

 

Lots of guys chose to live in Thailand and yet, seem to hate all things Thai.   Except the booze and sex.  And I don't get it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Lots of guys chose to live in Thailand and yet, seem to hate all things Thai.

Shocking ? but so true, you have to live in Thailand for what it is, not how you want it to be ?

Off course it has its faults, but its many good points are easily pushed aside by some ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

Shocking  but so true, you have to live in Thailand for what it is, not how you want it to be 

Off course it has its faults, but its many good points are easily pushed aside by some 

 

To be fair, you don't have to.   But I found life in Thailand (and China and...) to be much more pleasant that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Lots of guys chose to live in Thailand and yet, seem to hate all things Thai.   Except the booze and sex.  And I don't get it.

Well, you can definitely buy the booze, that is normally how one gets it. As for the sex, well I am led to believe that there are certain establishments...

?

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, impulse said:

 

I guess you've measured the flow rate before and after they fired up the engines and you have determined that the water isn't moving any faster?

 

If so, I'd suggest you check the calibration on your imaginary flowmeter.

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about.

 

doesnt  appear to be working

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2018 at 1:37 PM, impulse said:

 

I guess you've measured the flow rate before and after they fired up the engines and you have determined that the water isn't moving any faster?

 

If so, I'd suggest you check the calibration on your imaginary flowmeter.

 

The broken record is the guys who bash all things Thai, though they have no clue what they're talking about.

 

be that as it may.......it doesn't work. fact. that's not Thai bashing......but it's true that some involved have no clue........but it's not those commenting ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

be that as it may.......it doesn't work. fact. that's not Thai bashing......but it's true that some involved have no clue........but it's not those commenting 

 

And your "fact" is based on any kind of math or engineering?   Or just your perception? 

 

Using axial flow pumps to move water around is done all over the world.  Boat propellers are axial flow impellers.  In fact, the photo shows that these particular boats were purpose designed.  The concept is sound, and well accepted.   Whether they have enough HP for the amount of water requires some analysis.  Not just a glance at a photo.

 

If you can show the math that proves it doesn't work, great.  Otherwise you don't know.  And then, it's just bashing something (and someone) you don't understand.

 

I'll repeat my question from a recent, similar thread:

 

If you add 30,000 HP in the downstream direction over a period of 24 hours to a river flowing at a rate of  1 million cubic meters per minute, how much faster will you drain 50,000 acre feet of water than it would drain naturally?

 

What's the ROI of building and maintaining that infrastructure that everyone seems to think they need to spend hundreds of billions of baht on?

 

If you can't answer those questions (showing your math) I'd suggest you let the engineers on location do their jobs without commenting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...