Is it possible to extend the 90 day NON IMMIGRANT VISA for 30 days ?

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No it does not.

I am not sure why that statement is even there since it is about "Validity of visa and permitted length of stay".

Thank you UbonJoe ?

I'll be going to the Wang Prachan border is Satun, will let you guys know if there are any problems. 

On 8/23/2018 at 10:58 PM, Tanoshi said:

Yes.

Enter on new Visa - 90 day entry + 60 day extension = 150 days.

Border run - 90 day entry + 60 day extension = 300 days.

Border run - 90 day entry. (only stay 65 days until Visa expiry date). = 365 days.

Border run - 90 day entry + 60 day extension = 515 days.

Renew Visa - repeat.

Posts like this are by far the best way to explain any visa situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Not sure now ? Is this saying I can't do it?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/86306-Validity-of-visa-and-permitted-length-of-stay.html

**30-day visa exemption scheme is NOT counted as extra days you can stay in Thailand.**

I think they are saying, badly, that the 30 day visa exemption scheme doesn't add 30 days to a Tourist Visa Entry. They aren't referring to doing 'visa runs' (exit/entry for a new VE 30 day stay).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

when having non-o 90 days + 60 days extension =150 days at what stage would a person need to go for the 90 day report ??

wbr

roobaa01

You don't need to make a specific 90 day report. The application for the extension of stay at the end of the initial 90 days counts as reporting your address (90 day report).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

I think they are saying, badly, that the 30 day visa exemption scheme doesn't add 30 days to a Tourist Visa Entry. They aren't referring to doing 'visa runs' (exit/entry for a new VE 30 day stay).

Went to the border today, the Immigration officer looked at my passport and asked what are my plans.

I told him I plan on going Laos to get another Non O Visa and asked him I'm allowed 2 x 30 days exempt entries in one year right? He didn't answer, I told him I have 3 kids with a thai wife and said he will help me this time by giving me 30 days. 

I'm not sure I'll risk that again, with him suggesting it was a let off.

I know we're entitled to to 2 x 30 day exempts entries a year but the "up to the officers discretion" still plays an important part towards the end result at the Satun border.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

I know we're entitled to to 2 x 30 day exempts entries a year but the "up to the officers discretion" still plays an important part towards the end result at the Satun border.  

I think the right way of looking at it is that we are entitled to a max of 2 VE entries per year.

You are right that the officers discretion still plays a part. If someone turned up on Jan 1 with a passport full of recent VE entries the IO could still deny entry.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm almost at the end of my last 90 day entry but I can't go to Imm to get my usual 60 extension or renew my visa just yet so my Q is, if I go to the land border, can I get 30 days visa exempt? If I can get the 30 days exempt at the land border crossing, I plan to go to Imm when that finishes and get my usual 60 days ext

On 8/24/2018 at 6:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can do it. But avoid the Poi Pet crossing to Cambodia.

UPDATE:

I managed to get two 30 day visa exempts back to back and I'm coming to the end of my last one so I went to Immigration to do a 60 day extension based on wife / children and a member of staff said I can only get 30 days not 60 days.

Staff said you can't get a 60 day extension off of a 30 day visa exempt stamp based on family, you can only get 30 days for 1900 baht and If I went there at the end of my last 90 days entry I would have got it okay.

I just want to check is this is correct?

16 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

UPDATE:

I managed to get two 30 day visa exempts back to back and I'm coming to the end of my last one so I went to Immigration to do a 60 day extension based on wife / children and a member of staff said I can only get 30 days not 60 days.

Staff said you can't get a 60 day extension off of a 30 day visa exempt stamp based on family, you can only get 30 days for 1900 baht and If I went there at the end of my last 90 days entry I would have got it okay.

No this is not correct. They can issue a 60 day extension to visit your spouse/children for any type of visa entry.

Edited by elviajero
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

That is not correct. You can apply for the extension for any type of entry.

There is no mention of any visa category in clause 2.24 of the police order for extensions.

image.png.bd77980884f7c832081fbbe542a2defd.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

No this is not correct. They can issue a 60 day extension to visit your spouse/children for any type of visa entry.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no mention of any visa category in clause 2.24 of the police order for extensions.

Thanks for quick reply guys, I'm going back there, I hate telling them they're wrong lol the last time I went there for a 60 day ext I was given a 1yr stamp date by mistake and had to go back with my passport, they apologised and corrected it to 3 months instead!  I got a call 30 mins later asking me to go back again to correct that mistake too.

I'll just apply for the 60 days and hope for the best but will show them clause 2.24 of the police order for extensions if I get that lady again spouting the same stuff.

13 minutes ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Thanks for quick reply guys, I'm going back there, I hate telling them they're wrong lol the last time I went there for a 60 day ext I was given a 1yr stamp date by mistake and had to go back with my passport, they apologised and corrected it to 3 months instead!  I got a call 30 mins later asking me to go back again to correct that mistake too.

I'll just apply for the 60 days and hope for the best but will show them clause 2.24 of the police order for extensions if I get that lady again spouting the same stuff.

If they do agree to change it to 60 days your wife or child will need to be with you, and they will almost certainly want more paperwork. ID/Tabian Baan (for family member) and maybe a TM.30 (address) report.

53 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If they do agree to change it to 60 days your wife or child will need to be with you, and they will almost certainly want more paperwork. ID/Tabian Baan (for family member) and maybe a TM.30 (address) report.

Haven't applied for the 60 days ext yet just popped in to ask for forms, then the confusion started lol

On 10/18/2018 at 5:16 PM, BillyBobzTeeth said:

Haven't applied for the 60 days ext yet just popped in to ask for forms, then the confusion started lol

Be aware that different offices make up their own rules, and there is limited oversight to force them to follow the actual rules.  It could be a member of staff is misinformed (can hard to show them otherwise, once they've said something - try to make it look like you "said it wrong" to help them save-face, while showing a Thai-language printout of the rule), or a boss may have made-up the rule for "his" office or desk.  If the latter - oh well.

At some offices, you can come in visa-exempt or TR-Visa, get a 30-day 'tourist' extension, then get a 60-day 'visit wife/family' extension on top of that.  You should (in theory) at least be able to get one 60-day extension - but if they won't do it, you don't have much recourse.

A new Non-O visa in Savannakhet is the solution - avoiding the local office entirely.  I hope you can do that soon.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2018 at 3:30 PM, ubonjoe said:

On 10/18/2018 at 4:15 PM, elviajero said:

On 10/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, JackThompson said:

Be aware that different offices make up their own rules, and there is limited oversight to force them to follow the actual rules.  It could be a member of staff is misinformed (can hard to show them otherwise, once they've said something - try to make it look like you "said it wrong" to help them save-face, while showing a Thai-language printout of the rule), or a boss may have made-up the rule for "his" office or desk.  If the latter - oh well.

At some offices, you can come in visa-exempt or TR-Visa, get a 30-day 'tourist' extension, then get a 60-day 'visit wife/family' extension on top of that.  You should (in theory) at least be able to get one 60-day extension - but if they won't do it, you don't have much recourse.

A new Non-O visa in Savannakhet is the solution - avoiding the local office entirely.  I hope you can do that soon.

So I went to Imm today with all my documents for a 60 day extension.

The lady I spoke to before saw me first ( just my luck ) checked my form and said I needed to change the amount of days from 60 days to 30, my wife asked why and she just gave her the same answer she gave me.

She said she didn't need the copies of my wife's ID, the marriage or birth certificates... after waiting about 20 mins a superior Imm chief explained to my wife that they did now need the copies of the marriage and birth certificates and that I had to sign a new form which was changed back to 60 days.

Whoopie doo! The superior had corrected the situation or so I thought.

I asked why did they now need the rest of the copies and the superior said I got the 60 days BUT because I did the back to back 30 day visa exempts, I'd already had 30 days of the 60.

So I gave all docs for a 60 day extension in the end but I'm only stamped for 30 days in my passport and a note that says ( 2.24 ) the ext is for family reasons.

Are they're saying the two 30 day exempts we get every year can be deducted from a 60 day ext then?

Why did I have to sign a new form that said 60 days as the amount only to stamp me in for 30 days?

Why not just keep the original form which was changed to 30 days? 

I noticed the 30 day exempts rule on the wall which said we're entitled to two a year and entering through international airports will not be affected by this regulation, no word of having a max of 6 via airports ( I took a pic of the notice, if anyone needs to see it )

Edited by BillyBobzTeeth

13 hours ago, BillyBobzTeeth said:

the superior said I got the 60 days BUT because I did the back to back 30 day visa exempts, I'd already had 30 days of the 60. 

The 60-days is an extension to the entry you have, regardless of whatever other types of entries you have made into the country in the past, or your current entry.

It appears you are dealing with an office run by someone who wants to make life difficult for Farangs who don't pay agents and similar schemes.  They seem to think you are one of the Farangs who are "here too much" without paying tribute.

What he could have said is, "I don't like the fact that you have 2 Visa Exempt entries here, so I am using my authority to override the usual 60-days given for this type of extension-of-stay."  I would expect this C&Bull-show to continue for extensions your Non-O Multiple entries, since there is no tribute involved. 

Thanks for the report - good to know what is going on in the various "make up their own rules," offices.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1