Thaksin Tribute Thread

thaimee

Many Thais Ive spoken with, think because the PM is already rich, he will not be interested in corruption. Being poor themselves, they dont realize people, no matter how much money they have, never think its enough. Personaly, I think hes doing ok, considering his predesessors and the lack of anyone better for the job. Seems to me, he isnt disliked so much for his performance but for his personality. But, what the ###### do I know, plus, I dont give a ######

Guest fj2003

who has been in front of TV when the V.I.P, Primiery League has been startet???

so check here now the rules of the game

(bkk post is not dare to print it in postbag)

mai pen rai any comment

The description off football sport and economy!?!

Or how to make more money for rich people!

There are two teams:

“A = the politician and “

“B = the big businessmen“

And of course they need a ball for the game:

“The folk of citizen / everybody else in this country”

The rules are easy: make profit as long as possible, you have to make a point for your own wallet

Otherwise you are out

The ball will be in play as long as there is enough air in (money) and every team has to kick it continually.

But be carefully if the ball once gets a hole it will never fly the direction you kicked it so the game can not go on if people start thinking loud and progressive

The ball is getting its own direction

And then all the forbidden gamblers will lose their odds and bets off football stakes.

A foreigner friend off sport and Thailand

what are your opinion about ??????????????

Good for who? Sure not for the poor and I can't see he getting rid of corruption.

The corruption and his politics is now benefits the rich and the poor do not understand what Thaksin do for them!

To be fair, inthe beginning I had a lot of respect for him. The 30bt/visit healthscheme, government paying the interest on farmers' loans. He also made an example by suggesting dress code in parliament should be less formal so MPs could wear lighter clothes, aircon turned down and energy resources not wasted.

This is also the way he is perceived by many people, the great reformer.

Just saying this to balance all the negative posts a bit.

I am confident that many of us would rate Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as one of the world's most able statesmen. Thailand is a difficult country to govern as it has so many political parties, but Thaksin has in a sense put himself above the political fray by being able to communicate directly with the man in the street or the women in the rice paddy.

Under Thakin's stong leadership Thailand has emerged out of the 1997 Asian meltdown with the second highest GDP growth rate in the region. In our opinion, Thais have every right to be proud of their Prime Minister. Indeed, his Thai Rak Thai Party continues to lead in the opinion polls.

And by the way for those of you who dare critize Thaksin for the breakdown in negotiations over purchase of an interest in the Liverpool football team, please remember that he was doing it to help enhance interest in the game amongst young people -- so that one day Thailand might become a real sports powerhouse. When the negotitions became bogged down because of the greediness of the vendors, the Prime Minister quite correctly backed off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Under Thakin's stong leadership Thailand has emerged out of the 1997 Asian meltdown with the second highest GDP growth rate in the region. In our opinion, Thais have every right to be proud of their Prime Minister. Indeed, his Thai Rak Thai Party continues to lead in the opinion polls.

Are you for real or were you being sarcastic with this entire post???

It was the Democrats who came into power after the 1997 meltdown and made Thailand swallow the tough economic medicine to help improve the economy.

Dear Leader Thaksin then reaped the rewards of these reforms after he took office in 2000. He had nothing to do with the reforms. Au Contrair, he has actually been doing his best to reverse them.

Another thing that people tend to forget it Thaksin was a senior member of the government that was in power when the crash happened (deputy PM I think).

Under his "strong" leadership in 1997 he helped lead Thailand straight down the crapper. People have too short a memory of these things.

The guy should rename his party Thai pumpkin Thai (do the translation). It would be more appropriate.

Another one daring to criticize Thaksins purchase of L.F.C. Is it a normal buissness practice to expect a 50% say in the running of a company for a 30% investment, so who's being greedy. As for needing to enhance interest in the game, I don't think I've ever met a Thai who doesn't know a great deal about football, from who's playing for who, down to how may goals they scored last week. So maybe it was just down to getting the franchise rights for club regalia in S.E. Asia. Which if I understand correctly would have gone to Mr. Taxus while the people woulkd have got a share in a club they could not easily go to watch and a school for football, which would take only a mininmall percentage from the franchise profits.

I'm not up to speed with the politics - I thought Thaksin was a good PM, or that folks considered him to be doing good such as getting rid of corruption (or aiming to at least) and giving benefits to the poor..

Could someone correct me and bring me up to date without too much emotion?

Thanks

Someone said "the great reformer" and then another said "that many of us would rate Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as one of the world's most able statesmen"

Well I don't know who you are comparing him with.

To anyone who is capable of taking off the blinkers they would see the man as being an utter and absolute buffoon.

Whenever he opens his mouth it's not only what comes out, but rather what goes in "namely his own foot" that shows just what sort of IQ level he has.

George W Bush with all his imperfections is not even in the same company of this dumfcuk. (and I ain't no yank either)

The only Prime Minister (of Thailand) of integrity and honesty in recent years goes by the name of Chuan Leekpai.

Chuan could walk on the world stage and not be considered an absolute clown.

Why doesn't someone start a poll (on Thailands best PM) I think you would find that Duangchalerm would get more votes (had he been PM of course)

p.s. sorry about the emotion but yes I despise the man. He is an example of everything that is wrong in the country. Even if the folks in Sankhampaeng love him.

:o

It's getting close to 10k I reckon

If that's the case Meechai can take a well earned rest from his bit to reduce population control.

Time for a holiday for Meechai I agree. It is a pity the bullets are more expensive than rubbers, but there'd be more rubbers than bullets used hereabouts. :D

:D

‘X’cues me, I hope you are not Condom-ing him for his fight against Unseen…………… in Thailand…… :D

Cabbages & Condoms. Rules. O.K............ :D

Great person, Political correctness, me think.... :o

Article in The Guardian (UK) today. Fairly dispassionate summary, I think:

Turning red

The Thai PM's plan to buy part of Liverpool FC is becoming a political embarrassment, says John Aglionby

Tuesday June 22, 2004

It must be hard work being a Liverpool supporter at the moment, particularly if you are one of the football club's millions of Thai fans hoping they might soon own a fraction of their beloved team.

First there's the little matter of whether the new manager, Rafael Benitez, can persuade star players such as England midfielder Steven Gerrard to stay at the club. Then there's the lingering concern that despite securing Champions League football next season by coming fourth in the Premiership, the club won 30 points fewer than champions Arsenal - and only 27 more than bottom placed Wolverhampton.

One of the key answers to both of the above preoccupations is how much money will be available to buy new players and hang on to existing ones. And that depends in a large part on whether the Thais and the Liverpool board can finalise their agreement to sell 30% of the club to a party from the south-east Asian country. That's where the problems really start. Who are Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry and his fellow board members dealing with? At first it seemed that the Thai prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, was going to buy the stake out of his own pocket - which is the deepest in the country. Then he said he was going into partnership with some business friends.

Then he decided it would be more populist to have a lottery and allow the man in the street to own shares in the Anfield outfit. But that was shot down as being both unworkable and, more importantly, like an immoral red rag to the gambling-loving Thai bulls.

So Dr Thaksin was once again left holding the can, but this time in his capacity as head of the government. That situation did not last long, however. For reasons that have never been explained he handed over "the torch", as his chief negotiator Pongsak Ruktapongpisal described it, to Paiboon Damrongchaitham, the head of the country's biggest entertainment group GMM Grammy Plc.

Messrs Paiboon and Pongsak have just met the Liverpool board and are now expected to complete the due diligence started by the Thai government negotiators. Mr Paiboon has said he intends, with about nine other investors, to establish a holding company with four subsidiaries. These would consist of one handling the purchase of the 30% stake in Liverpool, another to manage the commercial rights of merchandising Liverpool in Asia, a third to establish football training centres across Asia and the fourth to revamp the Thai premier football league.

Ambitious as these intentions seem, few commentators believe this will be the end of the merry-go-round, especially as Mr Paiboon's love of the beautiful game is even less well documented than Dr Thaksin's chequered record. So what is really going on, particularly as far as Mr Thaksin is concerned? His carefully-crafted image as a forceful CEO-premier who dominates the country through decisive action appears to be coming apart at the seams. In recent weeks he has appeared to be more of a comedy character than a fearsome leader.

Take his appearance at the recent Thailand-North Korea football international. Thinking this would be an easy opportunity to rack up some good PR points, Dr Thaksin joined the tens of thousands of fans in the stands. Unfortunately his plan went horribly wrong. Rather than the prime minister being able to revel in the south-east Asian regional champions demolishing their northern challengers, Thailand crumbled 4-1 and Dr Thaksin was left looking somewhat embarrassed.

His efforts to retrieve the situation, by criticising the team the following day, backfired. The media lambasted him as a micro-manager who had strayed into unfamiliar territory.

So football, whether the national team or Liverpool, now seems to be off the prime minister's agenda. Perhaps that is just as well, because with the general election getting ever closer - it must be held within eight months - and problems mounting elsewhere, Dr Thaksin needs some successes to stem his sliding popularity.

[email protected]

I am confident that many of us would rate Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as one of the world's most able statesmen. Thailand is a difficult country to govern as it has so many political parties, but Thaksin has in a sense put himself above the political fray by being able to communicate directly with the man in the street or the women in the rice paddy.

And by the way for those of you who dare critize Thaksin for the breakdown in negotiations over purchase of an interest in the Liverpool football team, please remember that he was doing it to help enhance interest in the game amongst young people -- so that one day Thailand might become a real sports powerhouse. When the negotitions became bogged down because of the greediness of the vendors, the Prime Minister quite correctly backed off. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Samran. Maybe he is talking about someone else. Nobody in their right mind, (or anyone who knows anything about Thailand) could possibly be that mis-informed!! Quite the most astonishingly misguided post I have seen for a long time!

Under Thakin's stong leadership Thailand  has emerged out of the 1997 Asian meltdown with the second highest GDP growth rate in the region. In our opinion, Thais have every right to be proud of their Prime Minister. Indeed, his Thai Rak Thai Party continues to lead in the opinion polls.

Are you for real or were you being sarcastic with this entire post???

It was the Democrats who came into power after the 1997 meltdown and made Thailand swallow the tough economic medicine to help improve the economy.

Dear Leader Thaksin then reaped the rewards of these reforms after he took office in 2000. He had nothing to do with the reforms. Au Contrair, he has actually been doing his best to reverse them.

Another thing that people tend to forget it Thaksin was a senior member of the government that was in power when the crash happened (deputy PM I think).

Under his "strong" leadership in 1997 he helped lead Thailand straight down the crapper. People have too short a memory of these things.

The guy should rename his party Thai pumpkin Thai (do the translation). It would be more appropriate.

You beat me to it Chris. Chuan MK II came in well after the crisis in 1997, and Chuan was the one who swallowed a lot of bitter political and economic pills. The 'pumpkin' reference almost made me wet my pants.

I am confident that many of us would rate Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra as one of the world's most able statesmen.

Yeah, he's getting right up there alright, Payne. World class. Anyone selling shares in Sycophants United FC? :o

good reading KA12345, its been hinted that Toxins linked to mafia figures but its just rumour of course, if you are the Brit PM or the Presient of the USA. I believe you are not allowed any outside intrests in private companies as your job is the running of the country and rightly so.

as for the misguided into thinking Toxins good for the Thais and Thai economy it occurs to me that hes creating false unsustainble wealth, of which only time will tell.

I live here and I dont see Thailand as having major growth most Thai products are poorly made from substandard materials, Thais seems to make things as cheaply as possible that dont last two minuets, infact Ive bought things got them home and they just dont work!

unlike the Japanese who take a product and improve on it in everyway possible, eg: look at Jap cars bikes, computers. to name but a few.

also the Chinese who are the number one growth county in Asia, seem to be getting things right.

I am confident that many of us  would rate Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra  as one of the world's most able statesmen.

Yeah, he's getting right up there alright, Payne. World class. Anyone selling shares in Sycophants United FC? :D

I think Mr Payne is still sucking up for his Privilege Elite Card. :D

Check back to a poll on 'Would you fork out 1 million for a VIP card', if I remember rightly he was about the only person with a good word to say for it.

Another one our glorious leaders splendid ideas! :o

Average life span of a government in power in the decade or so before the Thaksin government = 18 months. surely no government could do any meaningful change to a country with all the musical chairs going around. i remember being here in Thailand during the mid 90's and it was no fun seeing business deals fall apart again and again because someone new upstairs has shelved his predecessors' plans. I always believe that some movement is better than no movement at all. And for this simple fact, i am thankful for the stability the present government has brought about.

For many in the business community its a matter of mere idealism whether the PM is on the take or not, what matters is that the airport, or highway, or whatever infrastructure gets built, banking policies are in place, money is spent, goods are ordered, workers get paid, and in the end we are better for it. I have no doubt over the integrity of Mr Chuan Leekpai, i personally find him very likeable, but i don't think the man has enough commercial sense nor the political gumption compared to Thaksin. I don't necessarily like Thaksin the man, but his administration has provided a good enough landscape in the past few years for investment houses to put a buy on Thailand. How bad can this be?

I look after investments for a foreign company in Thailand, and every month my board of directors want to hear from me that Thaksin will stay in power and his government will continue on existing policies. And so i know first hand how important he is to the continued growth and confidence placed in this country. In spite of all the dramatic hand wringing over his arrogance, alledged corruption, conspiracy theories etc., there is the reality of how this administration has helped the course of recovery.

Finally one last minor point, Thaksin may have been on one of the hot seats during the 1997 crash but it would be a stretch of the imagination to suggest that he caused it. The crash was primarily caused by a weak banking system and poor regulatory control, and of course cheap US dollars. If you were in the corporate scene here in the 90's you would recall the legions of Thai companies going to the states for road shows to raise cheap bond money...anyway, there's been a llot written on this already.

the view on thaskin might be rosy from a corporate perspective, but corporations are not known to care too much about the lot of the average person.

the elected are supposed to have the interests of the majority of the electorate in mind, just making sure the corporate profits flow does not nessecarily mean doing whats good for the country. People would have a lot more respect for thaskin and his cohorts if they were taking care of the people and not blatantly serving their own self interests.

encouraging consumer spending through credit is not exactly producing a solid financial foundation. The ability to sell the publics assets may make the balance book look good in the short term.

i wouldn't exactly call the view on thaksin "rosy", we have a realistic look at how he handles policy and where he is going down the track, we like to use the term "cautiously optimistic", but i'd be the first to admit it's just stupid sounding jargon. bottom line is not so much whether he is a great or just an okay PM, its the stability that matters most for businesses. a reasonably predictable future would allow us to better plan ahead and hence assign a lower risk to this country. lower country risk means better credit ratings, which means more institutional participation, which means capital is placed for enterprise expansion. its all good in the long run because there is a trickle down gain for jobs, skills and income.

i also think that unlike indonesia under suharto or philippines under marcos, thailand woud never have so much of its wealth concentrated with the leader. Thailand went through 2 decades of rapid growth before Thaksin arrived and so the economy is mature with a fairly sizeable middle class and its own business barons in different areas of industry. Thaksin will never be able to truly dominate Thailand in the way those other presidents did under a different era of development. but i must say, the idea of it makes very good press...

its also a somewhat broad sweep to suggest that none of thaksin's policies are aimed at the poor, heck isn't that the very reason why they invented the term thaksinomics to explain his seemingly schizophrenic economic approach?