Transformation of Sukhumvit Sois 5 to 19

Mike West

The changes you mention are a reflection in the changing profile of people who visit and stay in the area.  While you refer to it as a dump, there have been some positive changes.

The main one that springs to mind are the absence of the pickpocketing ladyboys who thrived late at night.  10 odd years ago the area around sois 3/1, 5 and 7 was the domain of light-fingered ladyboys late at night who would grab you and try to distract you while pickpocketing your wallet or mobile phone.  As far as I am aware they have long gone from the area and it is therefore a little safer late at night.

I'd expect the area to continue to move in the direction it has been going.  On my recent trip the area was totally dominated by Middle Easterners so it makes perfect sense to open businesses that appeal to them.

• Like 1

When it comes to Indian restaurants one has closed but none added.

A major change, unfortunately, is the sharply increased number of pro-ladies who now cover the most of this distance. Previously mostly an night, but now also at daytime.

6 minutes ago, LALes said:

Soi 11 used to be a happening street.  Now, its all Indians and Arabs.  Congratulations, multi-culturalists.

I hope the folks that are pissed that their playground is being taken over by "the others" are consistent and get pissed when "the others" are taking over their home countries.

I dont mind the demographic changes down there, works to my light skinned, polite, well mannered well groomed, well off, generous advantage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mike West said:

What has happened in the last 10 years? the place looks over taken by Indian restaurants, more arabs and less Thais. What a dump the place has become. 

I thought you were going to say how much more easy it is to walk on the sidewalk now. 

There are some great areas in Bangkok. Most of them are not located between Nana and Cowboy. :clap2:

I lived in Los Angeles for 59 years and it changed too. Weird. And so did London I noticed during the last trip.

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

me too. I'm a chick magnet at Oskar's. :cheesy:

I never seen you there! Lets go!

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I lived in Los Angeles for 59 years and it changed too. Weird. And so did London I noticed during the last trip.

I remember NYC before the Cross Bronx!

I remember dirt roads in the City of Anchorage!

I remember when Hollywood Blvd was fun!

On 8/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, Nyezhov said:

It was always a dump. 10 years ago it was full of westerners, now it's full of......folks who don't tip....

yeah it's full of .....holes who throw money around. I noticed the the average price of fried rice in soi 11 is 190 baht, thanks to guys like you. ?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, LALes said:

Soi 11 used to be a happening street.  Now, its all Indians and Arabs.  Congratulations, multi-culturalists.

Yeah exactly, used to be full of nice good looking ladies. Seems the new folks have scared them away. ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike West said:

yeah it's full of .....holes who throw money around. I noticed the the average price of fried rice in soi 11 is 190 baht, thanks to guys like you. ?

Gee thats funny, the price for me is 30B and because I tip the helper girl 20B, she brings me some fruit for desert, gratis ?

Not even counting the way they wipe the plastic table for me, sit me down, Mamasan hug my and coos to me in Thai (probably saying hey girls, here is that stupid fat falang that tips, its a nice falang so we give it fruit, still make money)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Gee thats funny, the price for me is 30B and because I tip the helper girl 20B, she brings me some fruit for desert, gratis ?

Not even counting the way they wipe the plastic table for me, sit me down, Mamasan hug my and coos to me in Thai (probably saying hey girls, here is that stupid fat falang that tips, its a nice falang so we give it fruit, still make money)

I said the "average price", seems you struggle a bit with English. "Mamasan"? ahh I see. ?

16 minutes ago, Mike West said:

I said the "average price", seems you struggle a bit with English. "Mamasan"? ahh I see. ?

Thats my average price ?

Yep, "Mamasan", learned that a long time ago in Japan. As different from the "Mamasan"...if you know what I mean *winkwink*. Seems you struggle a bit with terminology.

14 minutes ago, Mike West said:

Yeah of course they're gonna take care of their cash cow. They are business people. ?

There ya have it. Everybody is in business. Read your Marx.

4 hours ago, Mike West said:

If you're paying 190 baht for fried rice, I hope you are getting a hummer with that.

Otherwise, it is pure nonsense.

Soi 3 to around 7/1 is grim nowadays. Awful to place to walk any time of day. Feels like you're in a completely different country. 

Soi 11 still has one or two decent places but its decline over the last five years or so is huge. 

Nana / Asoke used to be the place to be when I first came here eight years ago. Now I don't know anyone who either lives in the area, or regularly frequents it. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2018 at 8:55 PM, Nyezhov said:

Thats my average price ?

Yep, "Mamasan", learned that a long time ago in Japan. As different from the "Mamasan"...if you know what I mean *winkwink*. Seems you struggle a bit with terminology.

There ya have it. Everybody is in business. Read your Marx.

so you pay your friends to hang out with you? lol ok ?

On 8/26/2018 at 8:48 PM, samsensam said:

humm... so 'others' somehow have less right to be here than you? or your presence is somehow more 'acceptable ' ? you consider yourself somehow 'higher' than others?

BWHAHAHAHAAHAHA  I love guys like you that try to read between the lines.