Good news for Taco Bell fans in Bangkok

watcharacters

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ricklev said:

Damn, looks like the menu is missing all the  bean only options?  Bean burrito, tostada etc.  Sad!

Maybe they'd do it as a special order request...  Be interesting to find out...  But still probably pay the higher menu price for a meat item.

Actually, now that you mention it, they probably should have had some kind of vegetarian option for their various entree items...for those who don't eat meat period....

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Maybe they'd do it as a special order request...  Be interesting to find out...  But still probably pay the higher menu price for a meat item.

Actually, now that you mention it, they probably should have had some kind of vegetarian option for their various entree items...for those who don't eat meat period....

I had this chat with them, so I don't have much hope....

Rick  Looking forward to your opening. Will the vegan menu in America apply here? https://www.tacobell.com/how-to-eat-vegan. Beans are all vegan? Thanks.7:18 AM
Please answer! ????
9:37 AM

Hi Rick! Our menu will have many items Taco Bell is famous for, including Crunchy Tacos, Crunchwrap Supremes, Quesadillas and Burritos. But we’ll also have some unique items made especially for Thailand that will definitely be worth trying! Check back as we’ll reveal more over the next few days!
10:53 AM
Please think about my question before sending me the stock answer. I want to eat at taco Bell and so do my vegetarian and vegan friends. . I'm asking if the bean are vegetarian? Are there vegan substitution as there are in the
USA. Thanks for your time and reasonable answer. ????
12:01 PM

Hi Rick! Menu will be revealed on 24th January ???? We'll update you on soon on the information you requested.
Thanks! Look forward to hearing back from.
Chat Conversation End

3 minutes ago, ricklev said:

I had this chat with them, so I don't have much hope....

Rick Levinthal Looking forward to your opening. Will the vegan menu in America apply here? https://www.tacobell.com/how-to-eat-vegan. Beans are all vegan? Thanks.7:18 AM
Please answer! ????
9:37 AM

Hi Rick! Our menu will have many items Taco Bell is famous for, including Crunchy Tacos, Crunchwrap Supremes, Quesadillas and Burritos. But we’ll also have some unique items made especially for Thailand that will definitely be worth trying! Check back as we’ll reveal more over the next few days!
10:53 AM
Please think about my question before sending me the stock answer. I want to eat at taco Bell and so do my vegetarian and vegan friends. . I'm asking if the bean are vegetarian? Are there vegan substitution as there are in the
USA. Thanks for your time and reasonable answer. ????
12:01 PM

Hi Rick! Menu will be revealed on 24th January ???? We'll update you on soon on the information you requested.
Thanks! Look forward to hearing back from.
Chat Conversation End

I'm not sure I'd take that as a YES or NO answer to your question.

More like, the usual Thailand business gibberish from someone who probably doesn't have a clue as to the actual question you're asking....

You might have told the chatter, hey, I've already seen your menu, and I don't see any vegetarian choices on it!!!

BTW, when I was there over the weekend, I popped in and asked a couple of English speaking managers who were there whether they had any actual printed or paper menu I could look at. And at  least at that point, they said they didn't have any printed menus. And told me to look to their menu board behind the counter, which is what I posted the photos of earlier in this thread.

Long way round of saying, I'm not sure their overall menu options are going to include anything beyond those things that you can see listed on the menu board behind the counter.

Looks busy...

Think Taco Bell Is Spicy? An Even Hotter Version Is Coming to Thailand

The firms expects to open 40 restaurants in Southeast Asia’s second-largest economy by 2022, Liz Williams, the president of its international division, said in an interview. The first is due to open in Bangkok on Jan. 24 and flavors in offerings such as tacos and burritos have been tweaked to suit local tastes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-22/taco-bell-plans-to-open-40-spiced-up-restaurants-in-thailand

Suspect this'll go the way of other foreign food fancies here? Crowded for a few weeks, maybe another shop or two opens, then closed in a year. Who remembers that coffee bun craze back in the day?

https://www.facebook.com/tacobellth/

the stuff on that picture menu don't look like any Taco Bell I've ever seen and I'm talkin' about 1968...granted the last time I ate there was In Philadelphia in 2006 when on business and then it was 'red and green bean burritos, please and two regular tacos, extra sauce, ta...' everything same same but a lot more expensive than I remembered...that order cost nearly $10...

and then the large black counter woman said ''ta'? would that be like in oo la la or as in cha cha cha?' she had trouble understanding my acquired UK east midlands accent...but she was very friendly...

Mississippi Fred Mcdowell singin' 'I went down to de fancy restaurant and looked at de menu and I throwed it away...and then I got to thinkin' 'I'll try Taco Bell today'...'

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Suspect this'll go the way of other foreign food fancies here? Crowded for a few weeks, maybe another shop or two opens, then closed in a year. Who remembers that coffee bun craze back in the day?

https://www.facebook.com/tacobellth/

I think it'll do fine, yes crowded for a few weeks and become normal traffic once the craze tapers off. I think there is a high demand for mexican food, and this is a "budget" friendly option compare to others such as La Monita, etc. The company behind it has substantial amount of money, so I don't forsee they will have cash flow problems.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So......................... DID ANYONE GO TODAY???

It's evening time already... Someone should be reporting back!!!

I just came back.  The line stretched around the corner, mostly curious Thais.  Credit marketing.  I went upstairs to Savoey Seafood where I didn't have to wait to be served.

BTW, I just saw a photo, AND some important info, on their Taco Bell TH Facebook page:

The important info:

Taco Bell Thailand Hi! We do not have beef on the menu but our menu has many items Taco Bell is famous for,

NO BEEF???? You gotta be kidding!!!

Also, I believe, someone asked them on FB is they have delivery via FoodPanda as yet, and the answer was NO, and only delivery via something I've never heard of called "Get Bike"???

And:

549663930_2019-01-2420_04_23.jpg.01afa0c88b038a4490ced180ae904b39.jpg

They have some videos of the people waiting in line on their FB site, and from the ones I'm seeing, MOST of those waiting in line today seemed to be Thais and/or other Asians.... Saw some, but not many, farangs in the queue.

As for the missing beef, this interesting exchange from their FB site:

NO BEEF??!! ????
Comments
Taco Bell Thailand
Taco Bell Thailand Hi David! We have an awesome menu ONLY available in Thailand ! Definitely worth trying ????

--But what's your reason for no beef?
--People do not go to an international franchise to have a localized menu for that country. They go there because what the get in America, is the same they can get in Russia, China, Japan or wherever. Have you NOT learned from McDonald?

Taco Bell Thailand
Taco Bell Thailand Our menu has been extensively researched with our Thailand consumers. They have loved it so please come and try it for yourself!

:clap2:

37 minutes ago, pegman said:

No beef? Pass!

Some things on their menu, I can handle with chicken or their pulled pork, at least, I think.

But other things cry out for ground beef, like their hard shell tacos. Dunno why, that's just what we're accustomed to, I guess.

Interesting in addition to no beef and no vegetarian specific choices on their menu, there's also no fish or seafood choices either. Probably aimed at keeping their menu prices down.

no beef? well, you know, they could just use some pulled pork (plenty of pork in Thailand) and call it 'carnitas tacos' and then chortle on facebook about the new addition to the menu exclusive for Thailand...

I don't understand as decent ground beef is available at any makro...most of it frozen and imported, however...how can you have yer classic taco shell without ground beef? unthinkable, unknowable and a trick on the unaware that simply wanna be seen queueing up mindlessly on facebook...

and a falang shouts in dismay 'ptooie! how can yew expect anyone to eat that shit???!!!' meanwhile someone inscrutably presses the button for urgent security attendance...who then respond with UFSWAT (unruly falang special weapons and tactics)...meanwhile Mr BJ ponders and a draconian adjustment to immigration policy is declared so that the situation is in hand, 800000 tacos per year or on yer bike and clear off...later to have scenes by human rights organization of thai orphans munching inconsolately on tacos on internet screens thruout the world...

4 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

I don't understand as decent ground beef is available at any makro...most of it frozen and imported, however...how can you have yer classic taco shell without ground beef? unthinkable, unknowable and a trick on the unaware that simply wanna be seen queueing up mindlessly on facebook...

I'm guessing, it's one or a combination of two things:

1. they think that Thai customers, who they presume to be their main market, overall aren't interested in eating beef.

2. despite being available, beef here certainly is going to be more expensive than pork or chicken, and they want to keep their menu prices down and profit up....

I dunno... when Thais are visiting/traveling/studying in the U.S. and come across Taco Bell, are they passing on the beef menu items and ordering chicken tacos instead??  Very strange....

38 minutes ago, ricklev said:

No beans and no beef.  Interesting decisions.

http://tacobellglobal.co/thailand/english/#sourcing

WOW!!!!!   Good find... and BAD news!!!

1. Taco Bell without Beef AND Beans is NOT Taco Bell!!!

2. Onions and lettuce from Thailand AND CHINA is not reassuring....

3. And curious, why chicken from Thailand but pork from Australia???  Something going on with Thai pork that we don't know about???

1462038171_2019-01-2513_16_59.jpg.bf53a3df9c0ec048b6e0f535e2ccac7f.jpg

Interesting... read the comments and customer review sections on the Taco Bell Thailand FB page....

There's A LOT of farang customers asking... where's the beef... But... also a lot of Thai customers/FB users asking exactly the same question and complaining!

Just by my rough count, I'd say the number of Thai posters there complaining about the absence of beef outnumbers the number of Thai posters making favorable comments....

So clearly we're not the only ones unhappy about the menu choices "Taco Thailand" has made.

Archived