Sight Seeing Tips Needed, North UK

simoh1490

I'm in Lancaster for a few months and my wife's coming over next week for about four weeks, but the weather has been poor, cold grey and rain, usual sort of stuff!

So I'm looking for suggestions for places to take her, sightseeing sorts of things. Because we're so close to the Lakes we'll obviously make a few trips there and likely to the Dales also which is similarly very close.

Any other pointers as to must-see places in this neck of the woods that people can recommend as being very special/must see things, day trip stuff mostly?

All useful and helpful input gratefully received.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what the missus is interested in. Liverpool is a couple of hours away so maybe the Cavern club. What about a footy game in L'pool or Manchester because nothing beats a stadium in full song.

If it's soonish then you could do overnighters in places such as Blackpool because the schools will be back but generally most things are open yet. Word on the street is that there will be another fairly warm spell starting end of the first week, September. If not then the missus is going to need a new wardrobe. 

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Lol and that's the first time I ever heard of such a place. Good fun the north!!

They all used to have great visitor centres but these days can't get close at all. Sizewell is a real nightmare now but before you could get free tea and cake.

A few years ago when I was still living in the UK, I was asked to take a group of Thai ladies on a sightseeing trip to Bath and South Wales. My experience was that, wherever we went, the only sights they wanted to see were situated inside the nearest shops.

1 minute ago, Stupooey said:

A few years ago when I was still living in the UK, I was asked to take a group of Thai ladies on a sightseeing trip to Bath and South Wales. My experience was that, wherever we went, the only sights they wanted to see were situated inside the nearest shops.

I can’t disgree, I took my Thai GF  to the UK last year, sightseeing is a waste of time time as they have no idea and probably not interested in the history of the UK basically because they didn’t do the history of the UK at school.

We did the London Tour, at Buckingham Palace all she was interested in was the gardens and flowers.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Heysham, what the hell is there to see at Heysham, except the bloody power station.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

The ferry terminal - a trip to the Isle of Man maybe? I'm born and bred South Lakes - there's more than enough to see exploring the Lakes even in inclement weather. Beatrix Potter Museum in Bowness,  Windermere Lake Cruises, Keswick Cars of the Stars, Beatrix Potter house at Far Sawrey, Wordsworth visitor attraction at Grasmere, Castlerigg stone circle at Keswick etc etc. As mentioned before York is a beautiful city with loads of shopping and ancient pubs - not forgetting Betty's Tea Rooms of course!

1 hour ago, Rc2702 said:

I suspect given the choice of meeting spot the OP is after a quick divorce. 

Lancaster is a great town, it's perfectly sized, nicely located and is home to some of the nicest and friendliest people you'd wish to meet, in the two months I've been here I've not met a single person who was anything less than warm, polite and friendly - considering all factors excluding the weather, I rate it a 9/10, if the weather is included I rate it 2/10 since it appears to have it's own micro-climate which is different from the rest of the country. Moreambe, Bridlington etc....they are depressing places that have great views of the cliffs and the ocean but the towns themselves are mostly decayed, quite sad really that they can't be turned into better places.

Why don't you just take her to a nice warm mall and let her shop? Certainly, no natural wonder can be very far away, if you have a car. Take her there and show her.  Then take her to some movies or music venues and some nice places to eat--show her how bad Thai food can be in UKsville.

16 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

they are depressing places that have great views of the cliffs and the ocean but the towns themselves are mostly decayed, quite sad really that they can't be turned into better places.

Such as?

Tell you what.... I'm in the UK at the moment (L'pool with sister) and she would have been happy as Larry until a couple of weeks back. Lot's off things to see such as castles or stately houses but depends on what the person finds interesting. Someone mentioned not learning about UK history at school but it is history about anything unrelated to Thailand that is not taught, In my mind, and I don't wish to tarnish everyone, a fair percentage of the population appear to be somewhat uninquisitive and I put this down to the education system rather than the people themselves. 

The highlights of my wife's visit to to that area were the boat trip on Windermere and shopping in the big Asda in  Barrow in Furness !

Oh and I frightened the life out of her driving back, just as it was going dark, over the Hardknott pass to Ravenglass, where we were staying.

Just now, smotherb said:

Why don't you just take her to a nice warm mall and let her shop? Certainly, no natural wonder can be very far away, if you have a car. Take her there and show her.  Then take her to some movies or music venues and some nice places to eat--show her how bad Thai food can be in UKsville.

We've done the Thai food in the UK bit in recent years so she already knows, that said we have a local Thai restaurant that is very very close to the real deal - the restaurant also has a Thai food store attached to it hence we can easily buy all the Thai food supplies needed.

Shopping, nah, a person can shop anywhere, I'm looking for the different and unique things that can't be found elsewhere, like the Lakes, like the Dales, like Scotland (already factored in to visit The Borders).

5 minutes ago, notmyself said:

Such as?

Tell you what.... I'm in the UK at the moment (L'pool with sister) and she would have been happy as Larry until a couple of weeks back. Lot's off things to see such as castles or stately houses but depends on what the person finds interesting. Someone mentioned not learning about UK history at school but it is history about anything unrelated to Thailand that is not taught, In my mind, and I don't wish to tarnish everyone, a fair percentage of the population appear to be somewhat uninquisitive and I put this down to the education system rather than the people themselves. 

I don't know, but all the northern seaside resorts, the places where Brits used to holiday before mass overseas travel became fashionable, they're all dead or dying and badly need to reinvent themselves - some are trying to do that but most are the home to 1960's style amusement arcades run by gypsy families and Poundshop equivalents...the North South divide is alive and well when it comes to seaside towns.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

I don't know, but all the northern seaside resorts, the places where Brits used to holiday before mass overseas travel became fashionable, they're all dead or dying and badly need to reinvent themselves - some are trying to do that but most are the home to 1960's style amusement arcades run by gypsy families and Poundshop equivalents...the North South divide is alive and well when it comes to seaside towns.

It didn't become fashionable but rather available to the masses. People head for the sun. Reinvent themselves as what? 

Archived