Sight Seeing Tips Needed, North UK

simoh1490

Across the north yorkshire moors to Whitby, Staithes, Robin Hoods Bay ?

Have a pub lunch overlooking the bays

1 Hour down the A5 to North Wales, lots of castles, beaches

Snowdonia for the scenic routes, take the train up Snowden, can also take the tram up the Great Orme at Llandudno, not sure if the cable car or the mountain sled is still working

There a big zip line somewhere north wales, if you really want to get her scared, its on google

Blackpool, a bit scruffy and run down in places but can scare her to death on the big rides or up the tower

York or, Chester for old roman cities, can walk the walls and still shop

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, notmyself said:

lol

Heysham is just over the way.

Nothing in Heysham except a glass of nettle beer.

Lancaster Castle is a very good tour. Lots of history, Pendle Witches, transportation to Australia, dungeons etc.

Try The Borough Pub (Dalton Square near the town hall) for good food and good beer. Sun Hotel also good.

Blackpool, Manchester and Liverpool all doable in a day trip.

Glasgow and Edinburgh for overnighters.

All the above by train.

Lake district is the most iconic but really need a car to see it properly. Transport links poor.

If you want an overnighter in the Lakes try the Queens Head in Troutbeck. Ancient pub with four poster beds, log fires and good food.

Enjoy!

53 minutes ago, notmyself said:

It didn't become fashionable but rather available to the masses. People head for the sun. Reinvent themselves as what? 

I already told you I don't know, why keep asking the same question!

Available then fashionable, fine, which hair do you want to split next!!

1 minute ago, petermik said:

Plenty of good chippies up north......get her to try a rag pudding....she will love it :thumbsup:

Quay fish and chips is just down the street from me, amazingly high-quality fish and chips, it's the stuff of dreams (and expanded waist lines).

4 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Lancaster ...a veritable legend of a place in terms of racial tolerance and integration

I've been reading on TVF whilst in Thailand about the immigrant issues in the North, have to say, the native Indian and Pakistani population here is very very well integrated and some of the nicest folk you'd wish to meet, there's nothing apart from the visual side of things to tell them apart from other native Lancastrians, I have loads of time for them.

31 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It's the A6 and a bloody site more than an hour from Lancaster!

sorry

meant A55 across to wales

More than 1 hour ?

i used to travel from north Leeds to Old Colwyn in 2 hours, door to door

Mind you, it was usually early morning before rush hour, and before all the cash machines, speed cameras on the roads

Just now, Joinaman said:

sorry

meant A55 across to wales

More than 1 hour ?

i used to travel from north Leeds to Old Colwyn in 2 hours, door to door

Mind you, it was usually early morning before rush hour, and before all the cash machines, speed cameras on the roads

A6 (M6 really). I was born in Lancaster. Once drove to Porthmadog on holiday. 2.5 - 3 hours.

14 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I've been reading on TVF whilst in Thailand about the immigrant issues in the North, have to say, the native Indian and Pakistani population here is very very well integrated and some of the nicest folk you'd wish to meet, there's nothing apart from the visual side of things to tell them apart from other native Lancastrians, I have loads of time for them.

Almost exclusively Pakistani, from the Punjab, all called Patel. Have lived in and around Blades Street since the early 60's. Guy who runs the shop on Blades Street has been a friend since we were at school.

Last time I took my friends to York and parked up in the designer outlet for the park and ride to the city. We never made it to the city as I couldn't get them away from shopping. The deals in york outlet are actually pretty good too. I got a pair of addidas trainers for £11.

For sightseeing York is great but I prefer Whitby. St Mary's church at the top of the 199 steps is really nice, and your wife may enjoy crabbing in the harbour.

Take her to a Thai restaurant. I took a young Thai lady on a tour of the American West, from the California beaches to northern Utah, with a stop in Las Vegas. She fell in love with my daughter's cat. Did a similar tour with a Japanese lady I met on a flight out of Tokyo. She fell in love with the mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving dinner. Keep it simple.

46 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Indeed, as did mine.....we have one week planned there before we return to Thailand.

Funny story, I took a picture of the Mrs standing next to Buckingham Palace front gates, when she got home and showed friends & family they said your Sami's house is beautiful.  ?

Fishing for "dabs and flounders" at Glasson Docks is a good way to spend s few hours...but keep the missus away from the edge unless it has crossed your mind........:whistling:

p.s. take her over Shard bridge first....plenty of photo ops there.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

lFishing for "dabs and flounders" at Glasson Docks is a good way to spend s few hours...but keep the missus away from the edge unless it has crossed your mind........:whistling:

p.s. take her over Shard bridge first....plenty of photo ops there.

Used to go treading flatties (dabs) under Shard Bridge when I was a kid.

58 minutes ago, james.d said:

Holy Island and can get some of the best kippers in the world at Craster.

Wouldn't recommend anywhere on the East coast from Lancaster. Arduous journey by car or several changes on a train. No chance of a return trip in a day.

Best kippers in the world are Manx. Can get them straight off the ferry in Morecambe.

I stayed South of Lancaster a few years ago for a couple of weeks whilst my boy was doing his exams. I enjoyed it. A place called Cockerham. 

Need a car for sure. 

If you are doing a self-catering place. Fleetwood has some great fresh seafood to take home and cook. 

7 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Fleetwood has some great fresh seafood to take home and cook. 

Which reminds me, if you go to Morecambe, go to Yorkshire Street (West End). Fishmonger there called Gerald Hogarth (has appeared in TV documentaries). Has his own shrimp boat and sells his catch in the shop. His wife pots the shrimps to a secret recipe. Ideal spread on toast but can be eaten straight out of the pot. Morecambe Bay Potted Shrimps are Morecambe's most renowned produce. By Appointment to H.M. Queen. Thai ladies would love them.

Also sells Manx Kippers.

47 minutes ago, alien365 said:

If you're not from Yorkshire, you and your wife may need to brush up on the Yorkshire accent first to understand the guides down the pit ?

How could any self-respecting person possibly be from anywhere else - Batley, born and raised.

2 hours ago, davebates20 said:

Try a trip over to the Beamish Museum, just north of Durham, it can take up most of your day. Book on line to avoid the queues.

I took 3 days there, 1 1/2 days looking round the museum, 1 1/2 days travelling, stayed in the Beamish Hotel. Absolutely brilliant. Impossible to do as a day trip from Lancaster.

Archived