Tax-dodging travellers face crackdown

webfact

Tax-dodging travellers face crackdown

By The Nation

e8cc4515cfb658f98eddc5989a393ac6-sld.jpe

If you travel overseas often and bring back luxury items to resell online, the Immigration Division has you on its radar. You have to pay import duties, it says.

“We’ve had reports about people even taking orders in advance for goods to bring back,” Pol Colonel Choengron Rimpadee, the division’s deputy spokesman, said on Sunday.

He said Immigration officials would cooperate with the Customs Department to prevent such tax evasion, in particular at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. 

The tax dodgers most often travel to Singapore, Hong Kong and France on a frequent basis, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30352984

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-27

Periodically, the custom and immigration comes out with these bombastic warning and proclamations to show that they're still relevant, but here's the real picture of the custom in the airport, 3-4 bored looking officials just lounging around hopelessly outnumbered compared to the non-stop influx of in coming streaming past them with occasionally pulling one or two unlucky passengers to x-ray their luggage and all the officials are busy with that passenger, no matter how hard they will try there will be huge holes in the custom system for people to take advantage of...

Problem to come up, they may start hitting everyone they feel like it up for luxury items they carry for personal use. That’s my watch, my computer, my etc and they disregard the personal claim. Easy tag for money. I would hope not, but my experience with customs here for just mail has been not good.

TSays everything about Thailand when Brand name luxury goods are still more expensive than countries that have higher sales taxes! Ah it’s that 100%+ tax the country adds , and wealthy Thais don’t like it . So this isn’t aimed at farang !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

once on a flight back from Hong King to DMK, they pulled everyone aside on that flight to scan their luggage. But it was typical half-arsed organization and I just walked by, otherwise it looked like a good hour wait. One of the few times it paid off to be a farang and looking like a tourist.

Archived