Chiang Mai - Hang Dong area questions

1FinickyOne

Amphur Hang Dong has a fruit market, lots of traffic. But just 2 kms W or E of the main road there are quiet, attractive villages. Also a market where the Saraphi road crosses the river. The old road following the river is great for cycling, all the way to the city. 

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Sorry I seem to have touched a raw nerve with you.  No need to be so sensitive.

But, I think you might like a drive to Doi Saket... because you know it's a MOUNTAIN so not really flat lol.

Sansai also has beautiful mountain views and rice fields.  

You really are saying Hang Dong is not more congested than Doi Saket?  Maybe you might like a nice trip out here and sample some restaurants so you can actually see for yourself how congested it is.

I guess you are the type to like to live in a gated moo baan with a small plot of overpriced land, and go out to Rimping and Airport Plazza to see a Movie and that keeps you entertained, but the OP says he is looking for countryside and large 3 rai land plot.  That will be more difficult to find in Hang Dong, and also more expensive.

From what i have observed and read living in a gated moo baan offers some control over the neighbors unlike simple village life near the rice field. 3 yrs ago when i moved to San Sai i could meander along hiway 1367 with no problems.  Now i must contend with numerous super ugly housing developments, dirty trucks up and down the highway, much more noise, and all the rest that goes with no protection for the environment.

Now  the outer ring road, hiway 121, is being widened with more housing and commerce planned along that divided hiway.  Any location within commuting distance for CM is under threat of population pressure and all its troubles.

On 8/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, eyecatcher said:

The three areas mentioned are only 10/15 minutes drive to the moat and traffic is definately not an issue, however its a given that the 4-7pm is going to heavier wherever you live.

I am in Saraphi and its 5 mins to the makro, home pro, Big c, Tesco.

Places to eat however I would say are poor and limited after 7pm in all those three areas, but again 10mins in the car and you can be eati g on the river in the centre.

The beauty of living in that 10-20km zone from the city is that you can relax from the touristy hustles, escape fellow expats and visit the city quickstix if you want.

Then back to tranquility. As I write now I literally can only hear some birds chirping and my gutters expanding in the heat

Your post is exactly what I would have provided. Promenada is very close also to Saraphi. Saturday nights walking street is pretty cool too.

I lived on the Estate as you go up to the Palace 28 years ago new back then,  cant remember its name anymore.How nice it was then, that funny little Emigration Office, where they gave me a Coffee, and filled the one year form in for me if i was early. We moved to Krabi, after 3 years, cant live happy in Cities and can pop into Krabi in 20 mins.

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Your post is exactly what I would have provided. Promenada is very close also to Saraphi. Saturday nights walking street is pretty cool too.

Congratulations. You must be almost the only customer in Promenada......and Saturday Walking Street "Cool" !?  Only if youre a total newbie or a Chinese tourist!

Hang dong is great if you want cheap rent, that’s the quality of the residents living there......it’s basically an urban rathole, stuck in the middle of the transit zone......no attractions at all, every city has an

area that attracts low life.....hang dong is the winner.

might even be financed by an American president, looks like his kind of place....to the original poster I suggest you look at the Mae rim area which has some truly serene places free of the vibration of truck tires.

you might not get the same caravan trailer trash type rents that attract the hang dongians but that’s not what you are looking for.

9 minutes ago, namatjira said:

Hang dong is great if you want cheap rent, that’s the quality of the residents living there......it’s basically an urban rathole, stuck in the middle of the transit zone......no attractions at all, every city has an

might even be financed by an American president, looks like his kind of place....to the original poster I suggest you look at the Mae rim area which has some truly serene places free of the vibration of truck tires.

you might not get the same caravan trailer trash type rents that attract the hang dongians but that’s not what you are looking for.

Yes, Hang Dong, Namphrae, Nongkwai, Mae Hia...complete "ratholes"....really cheap....but strangely full of expensive new developments, mostly on private land, many with private pools, costing millions of baht....and some of the best places to eat in Chiang Mai,  and a choice of several brand new fitness centres if thats your thing.....so yes, feel free to stay away, thank you, we dont want you around our lovely area with your terrible attitude!

On 8/28/2018 at 9:57 AM, jak2002003 said:

I really don't like Hang Dong.. it has got to be my least desirable place to live here in Chiang Mai.  Its so flat, boring, traffic congestion, and far too many farangs for me.

Flat..

This is Hang Dong district.  Yes, you don't want to be in the tiny strip of flat land immediately South of the airport. Around the canal road or West of it is best, that also gives you two major roads to get into town.  Canal road is being turned into a really big highway at the moment.

image.png.b5c296b4516150afb964a68437aab897.png

On 8/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, kenk24 said:

So, you are suggesting that I change my wife for that? I guess with that logic you would need a new wife every other day.... 

Hmmm.. you may be on to something.. ? 

On 8/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, kenk24 said:

Hi Winnie - - nice place - - is that Hang Dong - your house? I tend to like Doi Saket... I was out near Grand Canyon today but sort of a mess due to road work... 

Nah.  It's a chalet at one of the resort places in Hang Dong.   And building amidst mountains and a stream sounds nice but it's extremely challenging to not get washed away at certain times of the year. 

3 hours ago, namatjira said:

Mae Rim does have some nice looking properties and areas but that road into town - - is it 107? That never seems pleasant when I have been on it... maybe going around on one of the ring roads is a better way to get into town?

Plenty of affordable land in villages near Mae Rim. Mountain views, scenic drives, resorts, hideaway restaurants, and it's close to Makro, dental and medical hospitals. Not saying it's the best, just putting in a word.

On 8/28/2018 at 5:17 PM, BB1955 said:

I ve lived in Hangdong 8 years . Minus 2 months I moved to Hua Hin . Couldnt get back here fast enough. Live not far from the police station and hospital . No plane noise , plenty of places to eat . Traffic no different from anywhere else .

Why? I would love to know why you never liked HH?

maybe you could send me a message as it is off topic in this thread

Cheers

Archived