Chiang Mai - Hang Dong area questions

1FinickyOne

For those of you in the area particularly, [Hang Dong, Nam Phrae, Saraphi] - but all words/experiences welcome.

I hear about great restaurants, and traffic issues - what are your favorite parts of living there, which restaurants, how bad is the off rush hour traffic? I am retired. 

I am looking to buy a home and at the moment prefer Doi Saket area - - but want more info... 

I've lived all around Chiang Mai.

Doi Saket was the most remote, with not much to do, no places to shop.

Hang Dong was OK, but I found the aircraft noise distressing (do you really mean Hang dong, or the second ring which is only half-way)

Mae Rim had a lot more in the way of shopping and restaurant facilities (Inc big Makro)

MaeJo/San Sai has even more stuff to do, Rimping, Large Tesco, new Tops and hordes of restaurants and swimming pools.

But if you want bars and evening activities with fellow westerners, you'll still end up going into town.

The three areas mentioned are only 10/15 minutes drive to the moat and traffic is definately not an issue, however its a given that the 4-7pm is going to heavier wherever you live.

I am in Saraphi and its 5 mins to the makro, home pro, Big c, Tesco.

Places to eat however I would say are poor and limited after 7pm in all those three areas, but again 10mins in the car and you can be eati g on the river in the centre.

The beauty of living in that 10-20km zone from the city is that you can relax from the touristy hustles, escape fellow expats and visit the city quickstix if you want.

Then back to tranquility. As I write now I literally can only hear some birds chirping and my gutters expanding in the heat

Right; I don't think it matters much which direction out of town, as long as the immediate area is nice, and it's not too far from town. 

Hang Dong / Nam Phrae may tick those boxes, and no airplane noise there either.    (The airplane noise is more where the airplanes actually go, which isn't quite where Hang Dong starts and especially not the scenic part where you would actually want to live. )

anigif.gif.a5d33f7b3d8b92da5fed96d23f1af2c8.gif

8 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Right; I don't think it matters much which direction out of town, as long as the immediate area is nice, and it's not too far from town. 

Hang Dong / Nam Phrae may tick those boxes, and no airplane noise there either.    (The airplane noise is more where the airplanes actually go, which isn't quite where Hang Dong starts and especially not the scenic part where you would actually want to live. )

anigif.gif.a5d33f7b3d8b92da5fed96d23f1af2c8.gif

Hi Winnie - - nice place - - is that Hang Dong - your house? I tend to like Doi Saket... I was out near Grand Canyon today but sort of a mess due to road work... 

9 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

The three areas mentioned are only 10/15 minutes drive to the moat and traffic is definately not an issue, however its a given that the 4-7pm is going to heavier wherever you live.

I am in Saraphi and its 5 mins to the makro, home pro, Big c, Tesco.

Places to eat however I would say are poor and limited after 7pm in all those three areas, but again 10mins in the car and you can be eati g on the river in the centre.

The beauty of living in that 10-20km zone from the city is that you can relax from the touristy hustles, escape fellow expats and visit the city quickstix if you want.

Then back to tranquility. As I write now I literally can only hear some birds chirping and my gutters expanding in the heat

Thanks - some of Sarphi seems nice and some busier - I like to be out in nature somewhat... and like to have some land too...

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

She says she likes properties with land... 2-3 rai is nice... We have been living in her family village in the middle of nowhere for 20 years.. 

Find a Thai woman that doesnt come out with that stock answer.

it must be drilled into them at school.

A bit like our stock answer "I would like to live in a castle in Scotland, a chateau on the Loire."

14 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Find a Thai woman that doesnt come out with that stock answer.

it must be drilled into them at school.

A bit like our stock answer "I would like to live in a castle in Scotland, a chateau on the Loire."

??? That is who she is - - she is a country girl - she likes to plant things and then eat them - and we both like the same things... 

So, you are suggesting that I change my wife for that? I guess with that logic you would need a new wife every other day.... 

I live in San Sai area, close to Doi Saket.  I think its perfect for you.  Its still rural, but has lots of things, like markets, 7 / 11s shops and restaurants (even lots of farang owned restaurants), and is only 15 mins from Central Festival.  Most places have nice views of rice fields and the mountains too.

You can still get a country lifestyle, but will the city things too, and you can get land the size you want.

We had 2 Rai at last house... be warned it gets to be a real chore taking care of it... and the cost of maintenance was a drag... like cutting the grass, deposing of garden waste, pruning trees, fences, walls, watering an irrigation in the dry season, pest removal, storm damage etc etc.

Now we still live in the same area but have only half rai of land which is perfect for us (and still room for a few chickens).

I really don't like Hang Dong.. it has got to be my least desirable place to live here in Chiang Mai.  Its so flat, boring, traffic congestion, and far too many farangs for me.

59 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I live in San Sai area, close to Doi Saket.  I think its perfect for you.  Its still rural, but has lots of things, like markets, 7 / 11s shops and restaurants (even lots of farang owned restaurants), and is only 15 mins from Central Festival.  Most places have nice views of rice fields and the mountains too.

You can still get a country lifestyle, but will the city things too, and you can get land the size you want.

We had 2 Rai at last house... be warned it gets to be a real chore taking care of it... and the cost of maintenance was a drag... like cutting the grass, deposing of garden waste, pruning trees, fences, walls, watering an irrigation in the dry season, pest removal, storm damage etc etc.

Now we still live in the same area but have only half rai of land which is perfect for us (and still room for a few chickens).

I really don't like Hang Dong.. it has got to be my least desirable place to live here in Chiang Mai.  Its so flat, boring, traffic congestion, and far too many farangs for me.

Really glad you dont like Hang Dong/ Mae Hia, because I live there and its a perfect place to live, its certainly not boring, it has no more traffic congestion than anywhere else, and as for it being "flat"....jeez, you dont get flatter than Doi Saket and Sansai! Anyway, as you say, "too many" foreigners already so good youre not coming!

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

??? That is who she is - - she is a country girl - she likes to plant things and then eat them - and we both like the same things... 

So, you are suggesting that I change my wife for that? I guess with that logic you would need a new wife every other day.... 

Oh well, a pity sarcastic humour is lost on you which therefore makes my comment look picky.

Everyone else understood where I was coming from.

3 hours ago, EL159 said:

Really glad you dont like Hang Dong/ Mae Hia, because I live there and its a perfect place to live, its certainly not boring, it has no more traffic congestion than anywhere else, and as for it being "flat"....jeez, you dont get flatter than Doi Saket and Sansai! Anyway, as you say, "too many" foreigners already so good youre not coming!

Sorry I seem to have touched a raw nerve with you.  No need to be so sensitive.

But, I think you might like a drive to Doi Saket... because you know it's a MOUNTAIN so not really flat lol.

Sansai also has beautiful mountain views and rice fields.  

You really are saying Hang Dong is not more congested than Doi Saket?  Maybe you might like a nice trip out here and sample some restaurants so you can actually see for yourself how congested it is.

I guess you are the type to like to live in a gated moo baan with a small plot of overpriced land, and go out to Rimping and Airport Plazza to see a Movie and that keeps you entertained, but the OP says he is looking for countryside and large 3 rai land plot.  That will be more difficult to find in Hang Dong, and also more expensive.

I would look above the canal rd., south of Suthep....I think 20K+ per wah.....  Hang Dong Rd. is horrible traffic, and would suck more than a few times per week....ok easy in the middle of the night...big box stores, otherwise mostly rubbish.

19 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But, I think you might like a drive to Doi Saket... because you know it's a MOUNTAIN so not really flat lol.

You really are saying Hang Dong is not more congested than Doi Saket?  Maybe you might like a nice trip out here and sample some restaurants so you can actually see for yourself how congested it is.

I guess you are the type to like to live in a gated moo baan with a small plot of overpriced land, and go out to Rimping and Airport Plazza to see a Movie and that keeps you entertained, but the OP says he is looking for countryside and large 3 rai land plot.  That will be more difficult to find in Hang Dong, and also more expensive.

Well what a narrow judgemental person you are! I think you ve just dismissed out of hand the vast majority of foreigners living here! Pray tell, is there something wrong with living in a Moo Bahn, shopping at Rimping and going to watch movies?! Suppose youre one of those people who ll be telling me next that if I live in Thailand I should only eat Thai food, and that for a hobby I should be a part time rice farmer!

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

Well what a narrow judgemental person you are! I think you ve just dismissed out of hand the vast majority of foreigners living here! Pray tell, is there something wrong with living in a Moo Bahn, shopping at Rimping and going to watch movies?! Suppose youre one of those people who ll be telling me next that if I live in Thailand I should only eat Thai food, and that for a hobby I should be a part time rice farmer!

Please do not take offence.  

The OP wanted a lot of land, countryside, and to avoid congestion on the roads.  Yet you are really recommending Hang Dong?

Read what the other posters say about Hang Dong.... CONGESTION AND BAD TRAFFIC!

How can you say I am a narrow judgmental person... when you are judging me and those 'vast majority of foreigners' that you refer to?

You are even telling me what I am about to say!!

Reread the OP and what he was looking for.  Rimping supermarket, moves and congestion, and living on a small plot of land on a gated Moo Baan is not what he wants.  

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Oh well, a pity sarcastic humour is lost on you which therefore makes my comment look picky.

Everyone else understood where I was coming from.

ha ha - ok - sarcasm - now I get it - - somehow it just sounded like every other silly generalization about Thai people... ok, maybe I don't get it... 

6 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

ha ha - ok - sarcasm - now I get it - - somehow it just sounded like every other silly generalization about Thai people... ok, maybe I don't get it... 

You are correct here.

Sorry you got the raciest Thai bashing, and pointless petty arguments going off topic.

All too predictable on here when someone askes a simple genuine question.

That's why I am out of this thread from now on.

Anyway, best advice is for you to drive around to the places you are considering.  Go a few times at different times of the day to see how the traffic is.  Also have a look on land prices in each area, as well as local amenities you feel you will want to use.

Good luck finding your new home and hope you both will be happy in the future.  When you get your place don't forget to post some photos of it and updates on here.  

I ve lived in Hangdong 8 years . Minus 2 months I moved to Hua Hin . Couldnt get back here fast enough. Live not far from the police station and hospital . No plane noise , plenty of places to eat . Traffic no different from anywhere else .

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

I used to stay with friends who had a lovely villa on a smart estate in Hang Dong BUT it was directly under the flight path into CNX and it was very noisy as the planes were descending.

Just to clarify on a matter of fact, incoming planes DO NOT fly over Hang Dong. They fly in from the East, missing Hang Dong by quite a few kilometres. The approach from the East does fly over the Moo Bahn known as Baan Wan Tan, which is probably where you re thinking about, and indeed, I wouldnt want to live in that particular Moo Bahn either,  but in fact, that Moo Bahn is actually much closer to Chiang Mai City than it is to Hang Dong.   

I will agree with the majority here and say Hang Dong is Terrible!

Planeloads of tourist buzzing ones rice field...

Every Thai fancies himself a woodworker and runs his bandsaw day and night...

There is only ONE Starbucks that looks to be a hundred years old...

One of the major moobaans is reportedly infested with ferrel pomeranians...

I highly recommend no one else move here... :coffee1:

5 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Do you any idea about land price ? 

Average price for 1 Rai in Sansai ?

Haha...hang dong you have to be joking don’t you ?

please tell me this is comedy.....low class farang chasing cheap rents.

shocking traffic and aircraft noise....why oh why would one hang their 

dong in hang dong.....loser central

1 hour ago, namatjira said:

Haha...hang dong you have to be joking don’t you ?

please tell me this is comedy.....low class farang chasing cheap rents.

shocking traffic and aircraft noise....why oh why would one hang their 

dong in hang dong.....loser central

Quite right. Please stay away. Its pretty civilised right now, so the last thing we want is over opinionated fools like you. Please stay at the very boring Sansai, or Doi Saket, or wherever, please dont come here.

14 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Archived