Corrupt traffic police to be sacked, named and shamed, says top cop

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, toolpush said:

I, for one, quite like the prevailing scenario. I have no problem paying off a cop on the scene if it means that I don't have to go to the police station or court. One of the reasons I like living in Thailand: it is not the nanny state my home country has become. I can never figure out why expats here want to change Thailand so that it is like their home country. I like it just the way it was.

yep, great scenario, 60 to 70 dead each day on the roads - so what number do you think the government should aim for, would 100 be OK, or should they set their sights a bit higher?  

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Would be easier to just publish the police internal phone directory, because it is highly unlikely any in there can be deemed honest.

The corruption is organized as a pyramide - it all starts on the top and escalates downwards so it should be obvious were to start the cleaning...:1zgarz5:

If Thailand want to make road rules like Europe. Stop to make roadblocks. Lad the traffic police use traffic police car to drive around to control all traffic. Roadblocks can be put up in special situations. The traffic police car need to have a small PC there can be conected to driving license office at the police.

When see all this then i belive police want to make real police work there function.

All police there work in fx. policestation as policemen/women with theres small police mortor bikes. They not have to controll the traffic with there own mortor bikes.

I just spent 7 hours at one of the driver's license facilities to get my motorcycle driver's license.  Got there at 8:30 an left at 3.  

It took me about 5 minutes to answer 49 or the 50 questions correctly and I got a 47 out of 50 (no idea what I did wrong) on the driving test.

Before the motorcycles can get tested the cars get to do their test first. The first test is to parallel park. Of the 8 cars who tried to park 7 flunked. It was a flucking joke to watch. 

I was told I also had to take in a two hour classroom movie. I came back from lunch and they took my photo and gave me my license. I didn't complain about not having to watch the stupid video.  What is funny is you only get to watch the video after you pass the written test and the driving test.  Too funny for words.

I was also told that Thais do not have to watch the video for a car license only foreigners.  Perfectly understandable as Thais know how to drive of course.

Frankly, in my view they should save themselves time and just give everyone a driver's license because No one here knows how to drive and no one obeys ANY traffic laws. If I hadn't looked at a test online I would have thought it was okay to make a U-turn in an intersection (illegal) and turn right or left from the inside lane. Everybody does it on Huey Keaw turning on to the Super Hwy right in front of the useless police.

As far as the "corrupt" police getting fired as someone said you would need a brand new police force. On fourteen years here I've been stopped about 10 times and gifted all but one.  

Ok, so done venting.  Another day another joke of a time in the Land of Scams.  You just can't make this sheet up.

The best part about this is that they don't take your driver's license after issuing you a traffic ticket. I've always thought this was really stupid and a waste of time. You have to wait a week to go to the police station to pick up your license and pay the fine, which means if you get stopped again, you have no license. STUPID.

I remember going to the police station to pay my 500 baht fine and they went to a cabinet and pulled out a stack of driver's licenses 40cm tall held together with a big rubberband (those are used for EVERYTHING HERE SO NO SURPRISE).. Took about four or five minutes to locate my driver's license. 

How do you keep tracks of the points when you don't have one Nationals systems to track all drivers instead currently from the current system it is logged in one district but even the district down the road doesn't have an idea that the driver possible might already be over the limit?

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maj general Ekkarak are you serious, officers guilty of extortion and taking bribes will be sacked.:cheesy:?

If you follow through with that threat, there would be no traffic police officers left to police traffic.

No cops at alk

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Corrupt traffic police to be sacked, named and shamed, says top cop

:cheesy:

50bba66cdc8ead798e5e6f2334be542ed791701b.png.3b0b51f837a3d5f3740b7ccb33e0ce8d.png

Words of wisdom from Drew Carey that are directly applicable here:
""Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway, the show where everything's made up and the points don't matter"

7 hours ago, cleverman said:

Why is it funny? You and your like have been asking for something like this for years. Now someone has said it is going to happen, your stupid comment. Stop Thai bashing and wait to see what happens. 

just dont hold your breath

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maj general Ekkarak are you serious, officers guilty of extortion and taking bribes will be sacked.:cheesy:?

If you follow through with that threat, there would be no traffic police officers left to police traffic.

Maj/Gen?? Police?? I wonder how much he paid for that rank.:cheesy:

He said that 10 million Thais do not have licenses and it is high time that they are in the system.

Of that number 8 million are motorcycle riders and 2 million car drivers.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Really, if you know those stats have been validated go and locate the 10 million individuals now and get them off the roads......................

7 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You then are the lucky one. In Pattaya they are everywhere. Every day. Yesterday I drove through one, only to get pulled up at another one no more than a kilometer away. There is one at the bottom of my Soi right now.  I have two LINE member groups on my phone that inform me where they are, and every day I get literally dozens of messages. It is worse now than at any point in the ten years I have lived here. 

i need to meet up with you and get those LINE groups

7 hours ago, cleverman said:

Why is it funny? You and your like have been asking for something like this for years. Now someone has said it is going to happen, your stupid comment. Stop Thai bashing and wait to see what happens. 

That's just it, when has someone from the police said something was going to happen and it actually did? ie, the pavements in Bangkok are still filled with moronic motor cyclists.

4 hours ago, Bantex said:

Are they going to start with the senior officers and work down the ranks or start with the junior officers and work up the ranks ?

With all the ranks the police have it will take forever.:cheesy:

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Are you for real...or are you just joking? What do you mean a 'nanny state'. You mean you would prefer for Thais to continue to break the law without having a license? Not to mention those underage m/b riders that are a danger to themselves and others. Other expats want Thailand like their home country!!!??? I sincerely hope others here will give you some flak on that statement. Don't break the law and you won't have to go to the police station or court...not to mention not having to bribe anyone. Geeeeeeeez

That's not true when tea money time comes around. Think about it.

I thought the police in Chiang Mai were getting serious with a 400 baht fine sent to my GF for not having a helmet. Dead to rights, a camera shot of the licence plate and her on the bike. August 4.

However, I'm a bit puzzled by the fact she is not required to pay the fine until December. The only logic I can think of is it's based on the assumption the average Thai needs time to get enough money together.

And please tell me Sir, who lets 10 million Thais drive without a licence ???

I will not believe a word of this until I see the crackdown (which will never happen) UNLESS

the Insurance Companies band together & tell the BIB to get out & do their jobs

9 hours ago, colinneil said:

Just what the average Thai would like to see.. no traffic police so they can continue their daily lives without any road laws or policing!

10 million Thais without licences is an embarrassment, it shows that police are corrupt now because they're still on the roads!!!!

Archived