Corrupt traffic police to be sacked, named and shamed, says top cop

webfact

Corrupt traffic police to be sacked, named and shamed, says top cop

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The senior policeman tasked with the reform of penalties and procedures for driving offences has told the Thai media of yet more plans for the future.

One is to publish a list of sacked officers each month.

Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat told Daily News at their Bangkok studio that in future licenses cannot be confiscated by officers after traffic violations.

Instead there will be a points system with double points being deducted for those who don't pay their fines.

Maj Gen Ekkarak also promised that officers found guilty of extortion and taking bribes would be sacked. He said that a list of those dismissed from the force would be published each month.

He also said Friday that there would be far greater penalties for drivers fleeing the scene of accidents and racing on public roads.

He also commented on the issue of the combining of two 1979 laws regarding driving licences that will see the penalty raised for not having one to 3 months jail and 50,000 baht.

He said the large figure was up to the courts and was really a scare tactic to persuade people to get a license.

He said that 10 million Thais do not have licenses and it is high time that they are in the system.

Of that number 8 million are motorcycle riders and 2 million car drivers.

Maj Gen Ekkarak added that there is also a review of how police officers are rewarded for getting fines.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-27

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Maj Gen Ekkarak also promised that officers found guilty of extortion and taking bribes would be sacked. He said that a list of those dismissed from the force would be published each month.

Sounds great! I'll just wait to see the first published list though, and the regular updates.

Will the publications be thicker than the bible?

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

has told the Thai media of yet more plans for the future.

For the future sir? why not right now, start tomorrow, and if you do, that will be a good move towards tackling this huge problem, not eliminating it, but it's a good start...

A police force that acts like real police and actually do the job? What a silly suggestion. 

But seriously, the Thai citizens have the police force they deserve, the large percentage want to be able to pay off a officer on the street rather than face the public humiliation of a charge. 

Just now, Wiggy said:

That is one of the funniest things I've read on TV......ever ????

Why is it funny? You and your like have been asking for something like this for years. Now someone has said it is going to happen, your stupid comment. Stop Thai bashing and wait to see what happens. 

49 minutes ago, webfact said:

My list of officers to be sacked ( retrospective Ooops)

1.Pol Maj Gen Ekkarak Limsangkat?‍♂️

2  My team of officers?‍♂️?‍♀️?‍♀️

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

:cheesy:

I can only speak for Bangkok - but in my experience roadside fleecing during the day and weekends has been virtually ended here for well over a year now. The comments of incredulity of many on here are misplaced at least as far as the capital is concerned. 

9 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I can only speak for Bangkok - but in my experience roadside fleecing during the day and weekends has been virtually ended here for well over a year now. The comments of incredulity of many on here are misplaced at least as far as the capital is concerned. 

You then are the lucky one. In Pattaya they are everywhere. Every day. Yesterday I drove through one, only to get pulled up at another one no more than a kilometer away. There is one at the bottom of my Soi right now.  I have two LINE member groups on my phone that inform me where they are, and every day I get literally dozens of messages. It is worse now than at any point in the ten years I have lived here. 

10 minutes ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

You then are the lucky one. In Pattaya they are everywhere. Every day. Yesterday I drove through one, only to get pulled up at another one no more than a kilometer away. There is one at the bottom of my Soi right now.  I have two LINE member groups on my phone that inform me where they are, and every day I get literally dozens of messages. It is worse now than at any point in the ten years I have lived here. 

I"m in Bangkok and never been pulled over for any reason however on my way to Koh Chang I was stopped once for a licence check. So I handed him my international licence then he wanted to see my Australian Licence all was good so off I went.

Seems like the police are hard at work in Pattaya .....lots of unsuspecting tourists happy to pay off the police so they can get on with their holiday without having to go to court.

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Maj general Ekkarak are you serious, officers guilty of extortion and taking bribes will be sacked.:cheesy:?

If you follow through with that threat, there would be no traffic police officers left to police traffic.

All "sacked" officers will be recycled after further training in "how to avoid being caught out in the future" and returned to active service......:whistling:

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Maj general Ekkarak are you serious, officers guilty of extortion and taking bribes will be sacked.:cheesy:?

If you follow through with that threat, there would be no traffic police officers left to police traffic.

Not having any traffic police, or other police for that matter, wouldn't make one bit of difference to the well fair of Thailand 

59 minutes ago, cleverman said:

Why is it funny? You and your like have been asking for something like this for years. Now someone has said it is going to happen, your stupid comment. Stop Thai bashing and wait to see what happens. 

Come back in a year to this thread and you'll see why it's funny. I also 'bash' my own country and it is my right to do so. It's called freedom of speech and if you're offended by what I say then that's your problem, not mine, as I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight for the right for you to say it.

What about the senior officer who takes a bribe of 300,000 per year from a leading beverage company. When will his dismissal be appearing on the list? Or is it only the humble traffic cops who take the hit rather than their bosses. 

Anyway getting rid of a few on the lower rung of the distribution lists frees up more for the greedy ones at the top.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

What about the senior officer who takes a bribe of 300,000 per year from a leading beverage company. When will his dismissal be appearing on the list? Or is it only the humble traffic cops who take the hit rather than their bosses. 

Anyway getting rid of a few on the lower rung of the distribution lists frees up more for the greedy ones at the top.

The problem with reducing the lower rug will impact on the share  of the day-to-day smaller amount finding its way up the chain. You don't really expect the high rank guys out on the street in all the heat, dust, and pollution collecting the 100 and 200 Bht donations, now do you? 

So at the end of the day, bugger-all will happen. 

I have a suggestion to the top cops in Thailand who would like us to believe there is no corruption. Take the top 2 cops of every big traffic congested city in Thailand and have them openly declare their wealth and assets to The Nation newspaper for printing in next months edition. Lets see just how much they have accrued on their police pay. 

Someone who put together the information given officially by members of the NLA found the average for 11 policeman in that assembly was a massive average of over 250million thb.

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

I like how your thinking.. but how can you prove it is a bribe (i know that it probably is). But he is just an adviser and you can hire advisers and give them a salary. The bribe part is hard to prove. 

I, for one, quite like the prevailing scenario. I have no problem paying off a cop on the scene if it means that I don't have to go to the police station or court. One of the reasons I like living in Thailand: it is not the nanny state my home country has become. I can never figure out why expats here want to change Thailand so that it is like their home country. I like it just the way it was.

Archived