Spare laptop battery in checked or hand-carry baggage?

NanLaew

5 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Op, do not even think about buying an ASUS battery here or Lazada as they have so many different models with very slight changes. I sourced a cheap copy that did not fit exactly so sent a photo of the battery to ASUS Thailand and they sent the same as the cheap one. Just two of the small plastic lugs were different even though the computer was purchased here.

I had to buy one in Australia (and expensive), but took the computer to their service center in Sydney to make sure it fitted.

I already stated that the laptop was never on the Thai or SE Asian market so the battery isn't available anywhere locally. I bought it in the UK. I only mentioned lazada to stop anyone suggesting I try lazada as it seems to be the easy, go-to recommendation for buying everything these days.

I had that battery compatibility issue you mention with much older ASUS latops (think about 15 years ago) where two outwardly identical, same model laptops (higher end CPU in the newer one) bought about 8 months apart from the same computer store has subtle, physical battery incompatibilities... nothing that a Stanley knife couldn't sort though.

1 minute ago, sencelebi said:

Any kind of batteries has to be in the carry on bag. Don't matter if it's a laptop battery or AAA battery. It's a set international aviation law. 

Already covered by myself on page 1.

Also had the maximum size defined as well.

Thanks.

sometimewoodworker has a good point though with plane changes and en-route airport security transits. My no-hassle experience at Narita was over 8 years ago so probably invalid now with all these newer battery rules. My buddy would be coming through Kaohsiung in Taiwan (flying EVA) so it may be an issue there butwe know who to ask.

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

Well, the airlines don't want smart luggage with their batteries to be checked in. They want the batteries removed and carried in hand luggage. General rule?

Pretty much yes and why the whole concept of 'smart luggage' won't be good investment based on the prevailing power technology and security risks.

Archived