30 Deaths from Heatwaves in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has alerted the public to the perils of the ongoing heatwaves, following the death of 30 individuals from heatstroke this year. Health professionals are advising people to avoid direct sun exposure for long periods, particularly considering the increased COVID-19 risk for susceptible people.

Increased temperatures in the country have led to health problems linked to intense heat. Heatstroke, an often lethal condition arising from the body overheating, is a predominant risk, particularly for those who spend substantial time outdoors in the sun.

Doctors advise drinking plenty of water and using electrolyte solutions for profuse sweaters. Alcohol consumption, which can heighten dehydration, is discouraged. Citizens are also urged to dress in light-coloured clothing that promotes proper ventilation, and avoid leaving people in parked cars where the heat can increase rapidly. 

Thailand's post-Songkran period has seen a rise in COVID-19 infections particularly in the elderly and those with pre-existing health issues. Therefore, those at high risk are encouraged to follow precautions like wearing masks in crowded areas and practising good hand hygiene.

Influenza is also widespread with 128,156 cases reported since the start of the year, affecting all age groups. Vaccination is advocated for the general population, including high-risk individuals, to avert severe flu and COVID-19 complications. 

Moreover, dengue fever has been reported in 24,108 cases, primarily in children aged 5-14 years, resulting in 22 deaths.

The authorities have urged the public to help eliminate mosquito breeding areas to tackle not only dengue but also chikungunya and Zika virus infections. Self-medication is discouraged for symptoms like high fever, vomiting, abdominal pain, rashes, and bleeding spots on the skin with only paracetamol recommended for fever.

As heatwaves continue, the Ministry of Public Health is emphasizing preventive measures and vigilance for COVID-19 and influenza while encouraging mosquito control to curb vector-borne diseases.

Top Image courtesy of Khaosod

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-04-25

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You can add at least one more to that, my elderly cat I've had for 12yrs just died, I'm sure the heat eventually got to her  😢

Sorry to hear that. 12 is not old for a cat. I had two back in the day. The male was 18 and the female 21 when they died.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sorry to hear that. 12 is not old for a cat. I had two back in the day. The male was 18 and the female 21 when they died.

Was that in Thailand ? I hear Thai cats don't live as long, + our cat was not allowed in the house anymore due to her peeing and pooping wherever she wanted.  

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Was that in Thailand ? I hear Thai cats don't live as long, + our cat was not allowed in the house anymore due to her peeing and pooping wherever she wanted.  

No mate it wasn't in Thailand. I did think after I posted that life expectancy might be lower here. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well at least here they don't need the government to broadcast (as I gather they do in the UK in hot weather) messages for old people reminding them to turn off the heater.

17 minutes ago, Boedog said:

and the increased covid 19 risk, really just let it go

Don't  let it go but i d see the connection of heat wave and covid

• Confused 2

I'm surprised they didn't work Ukraine and the Middle East into this story, as most of the other boxes have been ticked.

Climate lockdowns coming soon. 

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

You can add at least one more to that, my elderly cat I've had for 12yrs just died, I'm sure the heat eventually got to her  😢

It died from a Thai "heatwave" outside of Thailand? 

• Confused 4

30 deaths from the heat wave.

I bet they are mostly from the poor background; not having 

air-conditioning at home/work place.

It is always the less fortunate that is worst  impacted by  the environmental changes.

Very sad.

Edited by borderhopper2005
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has alerted the public to the perils of the ongoing heatwaves, following the death of 30 individuals from heatstroke this year. Health professionals are advising people to avoid direct sun exposure for long periods, particularly considering the increased COVID-19 risk for susceptible people.

The Government's gotta do something about this heat ... 😎  Fix this and PM2.5 goes away too :whistling:

People die every day due to many causes, pneumonia, heatstroke, cancer or the #57 bus - it's not altogether avoidable, almost normal, although what does  Covid has to do with heat?  Vitamin D from sun exposure is a preventative, no? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, borderhopper2005 said:

It is always the less fortunate that is worst  impacted by  the environmental changes.

Very sad.

I would bet that they were people with pre existing health conditions, or people who ignored the haat and carried on regardless probably not drinking enough water.   The less fortunate are invariably impacted more by just about everything, that's probably why  they are classed as" less fortunate "

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well at least here they don't need the government to broadcast (as I gather they do in the UK in hot weather) messages for old people reminding them to turn off the heater.

its pathetic in the UK. twenty- something year old TV and radio announcers telling pensioners to drink water and stay in the shade and open a window the moment it reaches 25 deg

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

....and some fell on stoney ground.....😀

that's the second best place for an M&S cardigan,  after the bin  of course. I can't believe anybody would admit to having one, especially here

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, borderhopper2005 said:

Very sad.

What's funny is my horse hasn't broken a sweat but he demands to be showered every hour.

27 minutes ago, arick said:

Its a lot higher then that. Neighbour died last night sitting in his bamboo hut with just a little  fan at 44 Celsius.

It didn't occur to him to wet himself down and sit in front of the fan?  Why didn't he knock on your door and pop in for a cold drink?  You seem like a decent sort who would have helped him out, as would most posters on this board. 

Where in Thailand is it 44c at night?  Most places away from large bodies of water have greater diurnal temperature ranges and cool off significantly at night. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, arick said:

What's funny is my horse hasn't broken a sweat but he demands to be showered every hour.

Please supply a pic of you on your horse. Or just a puicture of your horse. We would all love to see it.