What's the maximum Court awarded child support you've heard of ?

Clifford S

As per a previous thread of mine I'm legalizing the split with the EX-girlfriend (not wife) mother of 3 my children...

So before we go to court I've offered 7,500thb per kid, 25-30k for a house in a gated community, 100% International schooling and 100% medical expenses etc etc

(And the kids would be with me 50% of the time also)

The Ex rejected it wanting a salary too as she doesn't want to work even though she's well (Masters) educated ...

So as per the title I just wondered what the max awarded Child support payments that BMs know of....

I did a 1 hour search last night and the max I found (cant remember the OP and think it was on TV and he was a teacher who the court awarded the Mother 25k for 2 kids which he then got reduced at the Supreme Court to 15k pcm.

I'm happy to pay house and kids child support, just not so keen for the EX to sit around drinking Mont Clair all day which is her desire ...

Cheers,

Cliffy.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, Bannoi said:

If you were not married have you legitimized them and I don't mean just having your name on their birth certificates.

If you have not and you were not married to their mother you have no legal parental rights and also are not legally compelled to pay maintenance.

Child Support for Illegitimate Child

In general, the biological father of the child is not obligated to pay for the child support. However, the father is not barred to enter into an agreement on child support payment with the mother of the child, and such agreement is enforceable once it is registered with the district office."

Please note I am not suggesting you want to avoid paying or abandoning your children just pointing out the legal position as I understand it and I could be wrong so I would advise taking proper legal advice.

This may help https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Child-Support-in-Thailand.php

This is the reason so many Thai men get away with paying nothing in regards to child support.

Knowing your legal responsibility can only help in your negotiations with their mother.

Best of luck personally I feel you have been more than generous.

Hi Bannoi

I/We have legitimized the children on the Thai courts a few years ago so I am the registered/recognized father.

And Yes I have Farang lawyers, just trying to see what the most Courts have awarded from BMs....

Thanks CLiffy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Clifford S said:

Hi Bannoi

I/We have legitimized the children on the Thai courts a few years ago so I am the registered/recognized father.

And Yes I have Farang lawyers, just trying to see what the most Courts have awarded from BMs....

Thanks CLiffy

If it's any help I did have a friend who went through the Thai family court he had two children and if memory serves me right I believe he paid something like 3000 baht per month for each child or thereabouts I think he said it was 5,800 for both of them and he was pleasantly surprised by the Thai family court procedure.

The was either in Udon Thani or Sakon Nakhon not sure which but one of them anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bannoi said:

From this webpage, it appears that your position will be supported and enforced by the courts:

The Use Of Child Support Payments

Child support money should be used for the child's expenses, including food, shelter, clothing, medical expenses, and educational needs but not to be spent for the custodial parent’s own benefits.

Edited by timendres
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Im pretty sure I read it to be 6500 pr child..Dont matter youre income.So the offer you have given is more then generous.This is only for leagal fathers and you are not as far as I can see.Youre biggest issue is to see the kids at all if she wil fight you for it.Hard one to find any good answers to.You better get them leagaliced as soon as you can.I have just done it myself so I can recommend a good lawyer with a set price if you are in or around Udon Thani.Youre best thing to do is to set up a meeting with a lawyer and get her to consent to you being the father of the kids first of all.You might end up loosing youre kids all together over this.Best of luck

Edited by Odin Norway
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, dirtynomad said:

I thought you didn't have to pay anything if you weren't married?

could be a good starting position in negotiations with the mother.

Sorry I added afterwards I am the legalized father via the local Thai courts and therefore have Kor Ror 11 documents for each child...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Are those amounts per month? If so they are much more than any court ordered child suppory I have ever heard of here.

Your Ex has absolutely no legal right to any sort of "salary" or maintanence for herself. The court will consider only child support and expect both parents to contribute.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yup that's monthly...

Noted and thanks, I like to bit about expect BOTH parents to contrubute!

• Thanks 1

Yes correct. If you're not married you should get a local court to document you as the father, you receive a court letter and a Kor Ror 11 for each kid with your name, their name, court witnesses etc etc 

I seem to recall it took maybe half hour in court.

9 minutes ago, Clifford S said:

Sorry I added afterwards I am the legalized father via the local Thai courts and therefore have Kor Ror 11 documents for each child...

In that case I would just let her take you to court.You have nothing to loose.The biggest issue is that you stil need a lawyer to trust and dont ripp you of.

Enough times I have heard lawyers make deals behind the clients backs.

• Like 1

in my (EU) home country child support should allow the child(ren) to continue their lifestyle (education) before the separation...except evidence that the supporting parent has no longer the earlier resources.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

in my (EU) home country child support should allow the child(ren) to continue their lifestyle (education) before the separation...except evidence that the supporting parent has no longer the earlier resources.

I have paid, am paying and will continue to pay for International schools (and University hopefully when old enuf )

• Like 2

Can a court really decide what you have to pay when you are not even married ?

So why I never head about any Thai guy paying ?

I would not give any money and just pay the bills, so I decide where the kids live and what they buy/use, etc...

On 8/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, Bannoi said:

If you were not married have you legitimized them and I don't mean just having your name on their birth certificates.

If you have not and you were not married to their mother you have no legal parental rights and also are not legally compelled to pay maintenance.

Child Support for Illegitimate Child

In general, the biological father of the child is not obligated to pay for the child support. However, the father is not barred to enter into an agreement on child support payment with the mother of the child, and such agreement is enforceable once it is registered with the district office."

Please note I am not suggesting you want to avoid paying or abandoning your children just pointing out the legal position as I understand it and I could be wrong so I would advise taking proper legal advice.

This may help https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Child-Support-in-Thailand.php

This is the reason so many Thai men get away with paying nothing in regards to child support.

Knowing your legal responsibility can only help in your negotiations with their mother.

Best of luck personally I feel you have been more than generous.

guess that depends on where you come from

If I made a hooker in Nana Plaza pregnant, with child to follow, I would have full financial responsibility, for the child, until the child is

18 or 21 if under education.

this is irrespective of marriage or parental rights

legislation in my home country stipulates this

• Haha 1

I am also wondering if anybody who marries and has kids knows that it will end this way ?

Really wondering how it works in people brain ? Please tell me ? As I have been too smart until now to do these things and hope to be smart forever !

You might want to rethink agreeing to provide medical expenses - as Thai citizens your children have access already to free medical care (government hospitals, of course).  While there are some things the government health systems does not provide that you might want (certain vaccines not yet on the list, for example) you could pay for those on a case by case basis, likewise step in if something major or complex should arise where a private consultation seems indicated.  But not need to put that in a formal agreement.  While private hospitals are more convenient, they are not better quality especially when it comes to pediatric care, and they can and will hospitalize children at the drop of a hat (i.e. a common cold or mild flu -- literally) especially if your ex is so inclined, and from sounds of her she might be (and request a "VIP" room to boot!) . And they can be very expensive.

Also make sure you are aware of how much international schools here can cost before pledging to that (though a good idea if you can afford it).

Court will not expect you to do either of those things, especially not anything on medical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

guess that depends on where you come from

If I made a hooker in Nana Plaza pregnant, with child to follow, I would have full financial responsibility, for the child, until the child is

this is irrespective of marriage or parental rights

legislation in my home country stipulates this

Where is this?  Normally paternity has to be established first before child support can be awarded.

Unfortunately, in some places paternity fraud can be rampant if it is strictly "stated" (e.g. there is no DNA test requirement).

There was a situation in the USA where a young male who was [statutorily] raped by his teacher was subsequently ordered by a judge to be liable for child support.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/02/statutory-rape-victim-child-support/14953965/

http://trauma.blog.yorku.ca/2018/05/when-male-rape-victims-are-held-accountable-for-child-support/

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/notorious-teacher-sex-scandals/

Edited by 4evermaat

31 minutes ago, 4evermaat said:

Where is this?  Normally paternity has to be established first before child support can be awarded.

Unfortunately, in some places paternity fraud can be rampant if it is strictly "stated" (e.g. there is no DNA test requirement).

There was a situation in the USA where a young male who was [statutorily] raped by his teacher was subsequently ordered by a judge to be liable for child support.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/02/statutory-rape-victim-child-support/14953965/

http://trauma.blog.yorku.ca/2018/05/when-male-rape-victims-are-held-accountable-for-child-support/

Responsibility my ass.And most people know that US is in their own smal bubble.World series only in their own country and other unbelivable things you only see there.Thai law is also strange at some points.D.N.A is not needed if the mother  concent to you being the father.But if you deny being the father you need to go to court to use it.Should be automatic if a case like this comes up in court in the first place.

Edited by Odin Norway

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You might want to rethink agreeing to provide medical expenses - as Thai citizens your children have access already to free medical care (government hospitals, of course).  While there are some things the government health systems does not provide that you might want (certain vaccines not yet on the list, for example) you could pay for those on a case by case basis, likewise step in if something major or complex should arise where a private consultation seems indicated.  But not need to put that in a formal agreement.  While private hospitals are more convenient, they are not better quality especially when it comes to pediatric care, and they can and will hospitalize children at the drop of a hat (i.e. a common cold or mild flu -- literally) especially if your ex is so inclined, and from sounds of her she might be (and request a "VIP" room to boot!) . And they can be very expensive.

Also make sure you are aware of how much international schools here can cost before pledging to that (though a good idea if you can afford it).

Court will not expect you to do either of those things, especially not anything on medical.

Thanks Sheryl, noted re Medical. They've always been to International Schools so I am familiar with the costs involved ....

3 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

yes, this is following the establishment of paternity

Norway

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only benefit you can have from /not/ taking this to court, but instead making a mutual agreement with the mother, is regarding child custody. Agree with most posters here that your offer is more generous than a court is likely to award. The bigger question is regarding custody, where I don't think 50/50 is a given and would be something your lawyer would need to fight for.

It is also my understanding that there is normally no reason to expect the court will award the mother any kind of alimony from you. It's only for the children.

If 50/50 is what you are happy with, and it's possible to separate with the mother on semi-friendly terms (rather than fighting in court), it may be a better long-term option to offer a bit more than the court would award in a mutual agreement. While expenses for children are to be shared, no court will expect the mother to pay half the fee of an international school, so if you want your children there, you will be the one paying that in full anyway I think.

One should also be aware of the risk that a bad mother may just take the child alimony for herself, and expect you to fot the bill for anything but the daily food. Meaning when the children are with you, you will be the one paying for all clothes, toys, books, and whatever else the children need and the child alimony will mostly be used by mother for her own needs. That is why I would advocate to fight to keep the stipulated child alimony to the minimum, as you can always add more as needed later.

20 minutes ago, Awk said:

I think the only benefit you can have from /not/ taking this to court, but instead making a mutual agreement with the mother, is regarding child custody. Agree with most posters here that your offer is more generous than a court is likely to award. The bigger question is regarding custody, where I don't think 50/50 is a given and would be something your lawyer would need to fight for.

It is also my understanding that there is normally no reason to expect the court will award the mother any kind of alimony from you. It's only for the children.

If 50/50 is what you are happy with, and it's possible to separate with the mother on semi-friendly terms (rather than fighting in court), it may be a better long-term option to offer a bit more than the court would award in a mutual agreement. While expenses for children are to be shared, no court will expect the mother to pay half the fee of an international school, so if you want your children there, you will be the one paying that in full anyway I think.

One should also be aware of the risk that a bad mother may just take the child alimony for herself, and expect you to fot the bill for anything but the daily food. Meaning when the children are with you, you will be the one paying for all clothes, toys, books, and whatever else the children need and the child alimony will mostly be used by mother for her own needs. That is why I would advocate to fight to keep the stipulated child alimony to the minimum, as you can always add more as needed later.

Yeh Awk I agree with your comments especially the last a paragraph where the mother will spend more of the child support on herself than the kids ...

On 8/28/2018 at 4:35 PM, Bannoi said:

If it's any help I did have a friend who went through the Thai family court he had two children and if memory serves me right I believe he paid something like 3000 baht per month for each child or thereabouts I think he said it was 5,800 for both of them and he was pleasantly surprised by the Thai family court procedure.

The was either in Udon Thani or Sakon Nakhon not sure which but one of them anyway.

So you have offered 7500 per child.  I assume that is per month ?  At the end of the day , whilst your offer seems generous on the face of it they are still your children and I assume you are on a good salary.   Would that mean you are an expat where your employers actually pay the school fees and medical insurance rather than yourself ?  If so then that is no cost to yourself. Of course you should be giving as much as you can afford that is fair and reasonable as after all they are your children too.

I fail to see how any offer would prevent your wife not drinking Mont Clair wine and it is your children that should be paramount not your children's Mother drinking habits.   Conversely the more you give her the more of that rubbish she may consume and ultimately could lead to her demise,  so you see, every cloud has a silver lining.