Smoking ban at public beaches in Thailand aims to protect visitors' health

webfact

15 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I live in Surat Thani. Today, I looked up and down my road and couldn't see a cigarette butt. And I didn't notice any in town. Moreover, I didn't even see anyone smoking.  There wasn't anyone at the gym smoking, nor at the restaurant where I routinely eat. I certainly have not seen smokers deliberately hanging around non smokers blowing smoke at them.  And the occasional whiff of cigarette smoke is only annoying in as much as it reminds me of what I'm missing by not smoking.  In contrast I am frequently bothered by car fumes.

Outside of TV, I have never met anyone who believes it is possible to develop cancer from walking past a smoker, or at the beach, etc.  Quite frankly, that is hysteria.

Maybe we are talking solely about Pattaya.  Well, move for heaven's sake.  Everyone knows Pattaya is sex, drugs, and rock and roll!

I am genuinely glad to hear your were not exposed to cig smoke today. That is how it should be for everyone, everyday. It should be a basic human right to be free of cacinogenic exposure based on someone else's bad habit. Your cig habit should be your problem. And i don't mean your as in you. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You seem to have a blind spot regarding traffic problems, including air pollution!

Are you a keen motorist by any chance?

No. I well admit they have a lot of road problems. But i personally do not define them on those stats, but their overal performance in the country. I drive often here and i hate it, and this is coming from a guy who used to love, and i mean love, driving in lawless and very dangeous rural mexico. 

2 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I am genuinely glad to hear your were not exposed to cig smoke today. That is how it should be for everyone, everyday. Your cig habit should be your problem. And i don't mean your as in you. 

Today or any other day!  And when I did smoke, myself and my friends didn't let it intrude on any other person.  And as far as I can tell, that goes for just about everywhere save a gogo bar, and probably some public places in Pattaya for example.

Surely you are fighting yesterday's war!  I do remember during the 70's smokers lit up just about anywhere- looking back it seems unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

No. I well admit they have a lot of road problems. But i personally do not define them on those stats, but their overal performance in the country. I drive often here and i hate it, and this is coming from a guy who used to love, and i mean love, driving in lawless and very dangeous rural mexico. 

Sad fact is that when you drive, and I ride my motorbike, we are polluting the air and most definitely kids are breathing in those fumes.  So, imo, it pays not get be to consumed by the little puff of smoke a smoker is making- after all it's only a bit of burnt vegetation.

I think it would be nice if all natural areas were free of modern day vices.  Yes, that means smoking, and quite a few other things too.

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Today or any other day!  And when I did smoke, myself and my friends didn't let it intrude on any other person.  And as far as I can tell, that goes for just about everywhere save a gogo bar, and probably some public places in Pattaya for example.

Surely you are fighting yesterday's war!  I do remember during the 70's smokers lit up just about anywhere- looking back it seems unbelievable.

I think there are more considerate smokers now, but the evidence by way of cig butt litter is not good. 

One the Thai roadway front, I gotta say i do enjoy their lack of enforcement when driving. In the states you can get stopped and the cop can just say wheteber they want. Total extortion. I would love to see some sort of a middle ground between here and there. 

2 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

And i think you are trolling. What is your argument for smoking in public again? 

Here are some stats for you in support of my argument. Smoking accounts for about 1 in 5 deaths. 

16% of the population smokes, but it is by far and away the number one trash/litter item worldwide. You know why this is? I can guess. Because smokers dread dealing with their own disgusting trash. This also explains why some of these pieces of work don't like to smoke in their own cars or homes, but they do not mind getting it in everyone else's face. 

Also, it is the leading cause of preventable death. Ie if we banned it in public let us just say a lot of people would live instead of dying. 

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/index.htm

What was your sterling argument again as to why we should continue to allow it in public? 

Again, this thread is about smoking on the BEACH, you quote statistics, then come back when you have found one regarding folk getting cancer etc from folk on BEACHES not in a tent....?

Archived