Thaivisa Exclusive: Huge new Pattaya hotel at Terminal 21 will serve no booze

snoop1130

Its most likely purely an economic decision, someone has probably done some accounting and realised that its not much point stocking the mini bar with overpriced alcohol as nobody drinks it, serious drinkers will probably go elsewhere, most buy their own at 7/11 etc, the general hotel demographics dont drink much so why spend money providing it for a minority.

Its probably nothing more than it costs X to provide alcohol and it brings in Y, operates at a loss, so can it. No different to not providing a shoe shine service because everyone wears sneekers and it runs at a loss.

At the end of the day its a hotel right in the middle of 127,000 bars, so why try and compete, the accountants probably worked out years ago it doesn't make money.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

At the end of the day its a hotel right in the middle of 127,000 bars, so why try and compete, the accountants probably worked out years ago it doesn't make money.

Neither would their onsite restaurant make money if it doesn't serve alcohol.

And how does the hotel bar function without alcohol?

The no alcohol policy is due to the personal beliefs of the owner.

He is not a Muslim and this policy is valid for all Centre Point properties, not only Pattaya.

However since bring your own applies, they are simply forsaking the possible revenue associated with alcoholic drinks. Of course this would be a massive amount for Pattaya, so you have to somewhat give credit to upholding one's principle, disregarding possible profit.

17 hours ago, champers said:

Aimed at the Muslim market?

Food Land  & 7/11 had plans to open up Business there, n for the Muslims they like their Beer  & Top Shelf,

Trip down to Jakarta  or anywhere in Indonesia They Love their Beer same as you n me

2 minutes ago, PhilippBKK said:

The no alcohol policy is due to the personal beliefs of the owner.

He is not a Muslim and this policy is valid for all Centre Point properties, not only Pattaya.

However since bring your own applies, they are simply forsaking the possible revenue associated with alcoholic drinks. Of course this would be a massive amount for Pattaya, so you have to somewhat give credit to upholding one's principle, disregarding possible profit.

True but,  it relies on guests being aware before checking in. Turn up tired after a long haul possibly late at night, unpack and then fancy a nightcap before bed. Means having to go and ask where you can go and buy a bottle of wine or a can or two outside the hotel.

On those lines I would hope that it is made very clear no booze sold or mini-bar in the room when you book on line etc.

We stayed at one of their hotels in Bangkok and I didn't realize until now that  they had a no alcohol policy.  We only ate breakfast at the hotel and had lunch and dinners out.   The policy wouldn't bother me and I would certainly book the hotel again as it was good value and location, had a river view, and the room even had a clothes washer/dryer.

As an occasional client of the restaurants in 5* hotels like that, I would much rather take my own decent wine or beer bought at the local supermarket than pay a 300% markup in the hotel's outlet for the same thing. So to me this sounds like good news.

8 hours ago, newnative said:

We stayed at one of their hotels in Bangkok and I didn't realize until now that  they had a no alcohol policy.  We only ate breakfast at the hotel and had lunch and dinners out.   The policy wouldn't bother me and I would certainly book the hotel again as it was good value and location, had a river view, and the room even had a clothes washer/dryer.

That's the Silom property atop Robinsons. So you need only pop down to TOPS via the private entrance in order to fill the refrigerator.

So many people dependent on alcohol....

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

As an occasional client of the restaurants in 5* hotels like that, I would much rather take my own decent wine or beer bought at the local supermarket than pay a 300% markup in the hotel's outlet for the same thing. So to me this sounds like good news.

Exactly. BEST is open until 1am.

If you like Champagne, get down to Tesco Lotus North to pay half the price of anywhere else.

35 minutes ago, smtsetup said:

"Rooms are listed online for as much as 7,000 baht a night."

Aimed at well-off, educated people who need not get drunk to enjoy their holiday.

https://grandecentrepointpattaya.com/assets/factsheet/01-factsheet-grande-centre-point-pattaya-english.pdf

Perhaps for the 98 sq. m. Two-Bedroom Panoramic Suite.

It wouldn't be for me, as I only go for places with full kitchen appliances. This is the first I have seen without them.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:38 PM, KneeDeep said:

Actually there is a BEST supermarket with a dedicated alcohol section across the road. They could do nicely out of it.

But inside Terminal 21 there will be plenty of booze available, from the supermarket and wine shop. Just bring it back to your room . 

This is no big deal really , I never touch the overpriced mini bars in hotel rooms anyway. 

16 hours ago, Deli said:

The 7 k / night keep most of the Indians and Chinese out of the place and maybe doesn't make making  revenue on booze essential.

ONly their most expensive rooms , like suites will cost up to 8k. 

Normal rooms from 1500 baht and up . 

I predict plenty of hi so Chinese and Thais there. 

I'm always amazed at how many guys who would never pay hotel prices for a drink (or 7,000 for a room), cannot stand the fact that a hotel has decided not to serve alcohol.

The same guys who were going to buy their booze at the 7/11 and sneak it in to their 500 baht room anyway. 

If the availability of overpriced toddies is that important, pick another of the 5,000 hotels or 100,000 other places to get it in town.  The hotel may sink or swim, but not on whether they sell alcohol or not.

6 hours ago, balo said:

Ditto here.  I think they'll get a ton of big spending Chinese who will bring their own $200 bottles of Mao Tai and walk out of the T21 Complex with bag upon bag of luxury goods to haul back to China with them.

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its most likely purely an economic decision, someone has probably done some accounting and realised that its not much point stocking the mini bar with overpriced alcohol as nobody drinks it, serious drinkers will probably go elsewhere, most buy their own at 7/11 etc, the general hotel demographics dont drink much so why spend money providing it for a minority.

Its probably nothing more than it costs X to provide alcohol and it brings in Y, operates at a loss, so can it. No different to not providing a shoe shine service because everyone wears sneekers and it runs at a loss.

But they have restaurants and pool areas where you can't buy a drink. At 7k a night i would want to be able to order, not have to go looking outside.

On 8/29/2018 at 6:32 PM, Mickmouse1 said:

Aimed at civilised individuals and to prevent certain individuals who usually make fools of themselves and upset other decent guests.No Booze,if you do not like it move on to Pattaya Soi6 or 8????

Luckily for some they can bring their own...Anyway 7k minimum will be a good deterrent. 5555

'For as much as' does not mean minimum. Quite the opposite.

9 hours ago, balo said:

Come on, is it 7K or 8K a night?

Archived