Law in Thailand regarding the engagement ring in a breakup

drvin

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Duh, it don't matter, where I come from ,if the lady gets pissed of whatever it is an engagement or friendship, ring, a ring is a ring and she Will toss it

I believe you are talking about western women.  I have never known an Asian one to throw money away.  Nor a western one for that matter.

Would like some guidance here.  In thailand if an engagement breakup is mutual before the wedding, what is the custom and the law regarding the return of the engagement ring to the donor.  The ring was bought and given in the USA where the laws are that the ring must be returned, but in Thailand, what laws would apply as the ring is in thailand now?
How romantic a man you must be. You wouldn't happen to be a lawyer by chance [emoji848]

The ring was bought and given in the USA where the laws are that the ring must be returned, but in Thailand, what laws would apply as the ring is in thailand now?

In the US, an engagement ring is considered a gift and does not have to be returned. The only exception I know of is the State of Florida. 

Same applies here in Thailand.

11 hours ago, drvin said:

in the USA where the laws are that the ring must be returned, but in Thailand, what laws would apply as the ring is in thailand now?

There was a case in the media with Tata Young (Thai-American singer, model, actress and dancer) and her 20 million baht engagement diamond ring; and a break up after six weeks, where the ex fiance's mom was going to sue Tata for all of the dowry and jewelry that his family has “put down” for her (totaling 100 million baht).

I'm not aware what this case ended with, but seem like an engagement ring, or whatever given, is considered a gift – might be as one poster said, depending of who broke the engagement...?

12 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Clearly a gift here.    Perhaps you should consider kidnapping her ( if she is not in the US),  take her back to the US where, if what you say is correct, demand the return of the ring !!

Or else just put it down to experience, and next time, if you are so mercenary about giving gifts to people you love at some stage in your life,  just get engaged to yourself !!!

My sentimens too, she's probably best shot.

12 hours ago, Lungstib said:

I am under the impression that marriage in Thailand is solely a paper issued by the amphur. Dowry may be covered by tradition but engagement and a ring, as far as I know, is not part of any Thai tradition. Considering a man gives his woman this ring I would imagine any Thai woman would say, it was a gift its mine.

Agree.

4 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

The country is a “dead end and bottomless pit of money “ when dealing with the so called Law for a non Thai!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Agreed ....... hence the OP should really accept it as a "learning curve" here. Golden rule ..... do not invest or buy anything here that you can not afford to lose .......... good advice from an expat 20yrs ago ......... nothing has changed! 

• Like 1

Would like some guidance here.  In thailand if an engagement breakup is mutual before the wedding, what is the custom and the law regarding the return of the engagement ring to the donor.  The ring was bought and given in the USA where the laws are that the ring must be returned, but in Thailand, what laws would apply as the ring is in thailand now?

There is no such in all of USA but there ARE state laws that apply. Not worth contesting with lawyer fees unless it is a big rock ! I won’t buy a girl jewelry and won’t wear rings, I find them itchy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/money/2013/03/22/news/engagement-ring/index.html