Wine Good News/Bad News

sammieuk1

17 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Thai wine.....the bad news is it is bad....the good news is it is limited..

Bring it (2L)  from your home country...

Limit is 1L per person at Thai customs. You can bring more but risk confiscation and a heavy fine if stopped.

Edited by topt

On 8/31/2018 at 9:16 AM, HarrySeaman said:

Actually those box wines such as Mont Clair were (are?) "fruit wines", meaning that they are real wine that has been cut with fruit juice.  This was done to lower the alcohol content and reduce the taxes. 

Drink box wine and you just might be getting your grape juice.

That's not correct. Reduce taxes, yes, but not cutting with fruit juice. Wine boxes were described as alcoholic fruit juice, to get around the differential tax rates specific to bottled wine. The reason (cheap) wine went up so much is because that loophole was closed at the same time as the new tax rates were applied - so the jump in price reflects the normalisation of boxed product to the rates for bottled product, plus the new tax levels on wine per se. Certain brands even had secondary paper sleeves wrapped around the standard printed carton, to use the appropriate wording implying that they were not 'wine'. Are you seriously trying to suggest that the Mont Clair wine in boxes was not the same stuff as in bottles?

2 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Be careful what you wish for,if the goons are reading these posts gin and vodka could be the next for a 70 per cent hike. 

There has been no price hike on certain products, the price hike was in taxes on alcohol content, and at the same time a tax loophole that fruit wine producers used was closed.

Vodka and Gin are already taxed their fair share, but you may expect them to go up in price as well in the near future.

Spirits have much longer shelf life than wine, so stocks will probably be bigger, but i expect new stock to be more expensive.

Bells whicky has already increased from 345 to 395, and i have seen a few others that had price increases recently.

22 hours ago, nausea said:

Crazy Thais - on the one hand they say they want high-end tourists, and on the other they increase taxes on wine.

Exactly. They’re much more likely to attract a Chang drinking backpacker hostel guest than high end guests in 5 star resorts when they rip them off so much.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:31 AM, IAMHERE said:

I quit drinking wine in m. I get about the same taste and certainly the same kick by mixing vodka with fruit juice; doesn't go bad in a few days either.

I like vodka for its simplicity and flexibility, but haven't touched it in years because my version of drink count became distorted from reality.  A beer is a beer and you can count them, that's all the positive spin I have for it.  I still drink it though.