Is Thailand's climate hotting up like other parts of the world?

Jingthing

Well this summer wasn't as hot as ones before..i remember it being very hot without any rain for months some years ago...that was a real hot summer.

This year BKK had more rain/clouds in March/April/May, it even was a cool summer.

Weather in Isaan can be variable ... but this year has been unusual = driest winter, coolest hot season and the wettest start to rainy season here in Udon in the last 8 years. 2011 maybe had more rain but mainly second half of rainy season. Still one month to go .... or maybe more.

Last year June dry and very hot but then really heavy rain July and August. Cold season has less cool days now than 8-10 years ago. My anecdotal observations.

Funny how there is no discussion on the changes made to the forrest industry in the 90's that is now causing total devastation.  They no longer manage the down timber caused by storms. 

Boundary waters area in Northern Minnesota was completely destroyed because of this. Thousands of downed trees after a storm. DNR was not allowed to go in and clean up. 

Potholer 54

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCljE1ODdSF7LS9xx9eWq0

This guy is not a scientist, but he reads a lot of stuff about the subject of climate change, and therefore he is rather good at explaining and also debunking the people that try to say otherwise.  He also does it in a very entertaining way.

Edited by Slain
clarity

20 hours ago, themerg said:

The news is politically and economically based by the interests of the rich.

I will be here 4 years on September 27, 2018.

Thailand has 2-3 seasons depending where you are, 3 seasons are winter-Season 1,summer -Season 2, and rainy season- season 3. Southern Thailand has seasons 2 and 3.

Thailand is tropical which means NO SNOW, NO FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND ICE.

This is for Chiang Mai which has all 3 seasons..

My first year was very hot and a drought from November, 2014 until May, 2016.

Summer from mid-February until rainy season is mid 90s F to 105 F.

Have had 3 good rainy seasons from 2016 to inclusive of today August 31, 2018.

Rainy season 2018 is very heavy rainy almost every day. Very good for rice, fruit, vegetables and flowers. Winter, from December through mid-February can be cool at night, low of 59 F and highs of 95 F.

Search--Wikipedia for Thailand/climate for an accurate description.

Calling the seaonsreality by western nemesis inaccurate and misleading........ Thailand and the tropics have 3 seasons cool dry, hot and wet seasons some places are misnamed as having only 2 due to variations and expectations by largely western meteorologists of old.

Climate change is not decernable by personal anecdotal experience....it is a combination of chemistry and analysis of long term records and data that has revealed this.

It is scientific theory.or rather a raft thereof......this use of the word "theory"  is linguistically ddifferent from layperson's use of the word.

Like many other scientific theories it has been scientifically challenged and examined and found to be accurate to the highset standards of credibility.

Critics unfortunately are devoid of skeptically or critical thinking and are now placing themselves firmly in the realms of flat earth thinkers.

19 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

What about the long term cooling in other places which is not reported? 

What about unprecedented wildfires in Canada, the US.. Portugal, Spain & France?  What about unprecedented drying of of the UK & most of Europe?  That about unprecedented low ice cover in the Arctic?  What about melting permafrost in the polar regions and escaping methane gas?  What about rising ocean temperatures and stronger and more frequent storms, cyclone and typhoons?  What about resulting devastating flooding in China, South East Asia and central Asia? What about the destruction of coral reefs worldwide from rising ocean temperatures?   What about creeping desertification in Africa?...  Hmmm.. ?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 9:31 AM, Catoni said:

Of course he knows it.  He realizes that we don’t come here to get information about Astrophysics, Geology, Climate Change (which has been happening for about 4 billion years or so, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometime a lot, sometimes a little)

Around 1850 we came out of a bad 500 year long cool period that had shorter growing seasons, longer colder more bitter winters in Europe and North America, famine, failed harvests.  Would people expect it to get colder or warmer coming out of a 500 year colder period?   People have to study and think. Not listen to people with politico/economic agendas and padding their lab bank accounts and collecting book royalties. 

"has been happening for about 4 billion years or so, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometime a lot, sometimes a little"

This argument is so tired and cliched - as if it is some great revelation.... - it is rolled out dos many times as if this hasn't been added to the equation - of co9urse there have been chasers and often we know why - just as we do this time.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, ivor bigun said:

To be honest i thought the weather here was getting cooler and no i am not being silly i really think this.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I would agree with you. In the 10 years I have lived here this is certainly been the coolest. In April we had 2 spells were we did not use the AC, never been known before. In the last couple of months hardly ever had to put the AC on in the evening and the temperature has hardly been above 30.

Year on year my electricity bill has been fairly constant but this year it is currently about 10 percent below previous years. The way the pound is I am grateful for any assistance from above.

• Like 2

Well the older Thais that I know say that it is much hotter than it was when they were young. But climate change doesn't just mean getting hotter.

We've had flood followed by drought followed by flood in the last few years. None of the Thais that I know can remember a drought like we had 3 or 4 years ago.

• Like 1

Well, I have now found an objective source that can provide objective data about my limited scope question:

How Much Hotter Is Your Hometown Than When You Were Born?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/30/climate/how-much-hotter-is-your-hometown.html

I entered Bangkok and they have records going back to 1960.

The trend line is crystal clear.

Over that period Bangkok THAILAND is getting many more days of weather at or above 32 degrees C each year in a straight up line trend.

193 to 276 in that time period.

Check it out!

Edited by Jingthing

On 8/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, ivor bigun said:

To be honest i thought the weather here was getting cooler and no i am not being silly i really think this.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree. In the last year I have not felt the heat sweltering burn that I had in previous years. I have have even began to feel the cool season chill on its way today in mid north Thailand. I am only 40 years old so not because I am very old I am feeling the coolness. You never know there maybe even sleet in the upper north of Thailand this year if things continue this way.

12 hours ago, sandyf said:

I would agree with you. In the 10 years I have lived here this is certainly been the coolest. In April we had 2 spells were we did not use the AC, never been known before. In the last couple of months hardly ever had to put the AC on in the evening and the temperature has hardly been above 30.

Year on year my electricity bill has been fairly constant but this year it is currently about 10 percent below previous years. The way the pound is I am grateful for any assistance from above.

You realise that is not an argument?

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I have now found an objective source that can provide objective data about my limited scope question:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/30/climate/how-much-hotter-is-your-hometown.html

Over that period Bangkok THAILAND is getting many more days of weather at or above 32 degrees C each year in a straight up line trend.

Check it out!

Same as the info graphic I posted earlier

On 9/1/2018 at 11:33 AM, Jingthing said:

Check it out!

Around 1850 we came out of a 500 year cooler period that wasn’t very nice. You should expect it to slowly warm for a few hundred years. 

Civilization has always done better in the warmer periods, like the Holocene Climate Optimum, the Minoan Warm Period, to Roman Warm Period and the Medieval Warm Period and other’s. Historically, we really don’t do very good in the colder times. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2018 at 3:04 AM, kwilco said:

"has been happening for about 4 billion years or so, sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometime a lot, sometimes a little"

This argument is so tired and cliched - as if it is some great revelation.... - it is rolled out dos many times as if this hasn't been added to the equation - of co9urse there have been chasers and often we know why - just as we do this time.

“This argument is so tired and cliched..” 

....and also still a fact!

5555:)

On 8/30/2018 at 11:18 PM, rwill said:

the last couple of years where I live in Ratchaburi it has been noticeably cooler in the hot season, hardly any 40+ days.

Careful of what you say. You’ll get the Gore Bull Warming/Climate Change Alarmists all upset. 

Personally I do not believe all the hype about the climate change , based on some historical and scientific facts.  

In the 16th century the climate was milder in Europe than it is today .  Of course they can only measure it by looking at the geological evidence. And some books that were written back then. 

The sun also has a big part in the climate change , fewer sun spots can lead to a colder climate in certain parts of the globe.

And finally we have the humans and all the life on the planet producing CO2 (carbon dioxide gases) , and its a part of the whole package.   

In my home country Norway , people were complaining about milder winters over a period of 10-15 years  from the early 90's and then the climate debate started.  Then suddenly all that changed and the winters started to  get colder after 2013 .  Why is that ?   

I think it's because we have fewer sun spots and the scientists can't explain why the solar activity is at its lowest since they started measuring the sun . 

There are some people that belieev the sun will die slowly and end up like a dead star , but that could take millions of years. But they believe fewer sun spots could be the start if this process. 

Edited by balo

Personally I do not believe all the hype about the climate change , based on some historical and scientific facts.  
In the 16th century the climate was milder in Europe than it is today .  Of course they can only measure it by looking at the geological evidence. And some books that were written back then. 

The sun also has a big part in the climate change , fewer sun spots can lead to a colder climate in certain parts of the globe.

And finally we have the humans and all the life on the planet producing CO2 (carbon dioxide gases) , and its a part of the whole package.   

In my home country Norway , people were complaining about milder winters over a period of 10-15 years  from the early 90's and then the climate debate started.  Then suddenly all that changed and the winters started to  get colder after 2013 .  Why is that ?   

I think it's because we have fewer sun spots and the scientists can't explain why the solar activity is at its lowest since they started measuring the sun . 

There are some people that belieev the sun will die slowly and end up like a dead star , but that could take millions of years. But they believe fewer sun spots could be the start if this process. 

Too many people getting rich off of the climate change train to stop it. That said, it is interesting how the hysteria has died down with tRump’s election. Bigger fish to fry as it were...
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, balo said:

The primary Sun cycle is the 11 year sunspot cycle.....   more spots... .  less spots...  We have had times in the past when there were few or no sunspots at all.

This is NOT the first time.    Between 1645 and 1715 sunspots were extremely rare. It was a prolonged sunspot minimum that we we call the Maunder Minimum.  The Earth ...already in the "Little Ice Age" that started about 1300, got even cooler, with shorter growing seasons and failed harvests and famine.  The winters in the northern hemisphere longer and more bitterly cold......  There are various other type of solar cycles.. some that repeat every few hundred years... some that repeat over thousands of years.   Still being studied.  

Our star.. the Sun..."burns" hydrogen as its fuel in nuclear fusion...Natually the hydrogen will eventually run out.   

The sun will last for another four or five billion years.. gradually getting hotter... before it goes nova and fries the inner planets in its death as its outer shell expands into the planets..   The Ring nebula in the contellation Lyra is an excellent example...  easily seen in backyard reflecting telescopes of 6" diameter or larger.  (Very nice in an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain)

But in about 500 million years, the sun will be already putting off too much heat for human life to continue on planet Earth.

In order for our ancestors to survive.. they will need to develop interstellar and intergalactic space travel to colonise this galaxy and others before that happens.  

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Thanks 1

In order for our ancestors to survive.. they will need to develop interstellar and intergalactic space travel to colonise this galaxy and others before that happens.  

Hmmm, I was think it was already too late for them....

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

Hmmm, I was think it was already too late for them....

"mogandave"......   No.... actually it's too early for them....  they aren't here yet.   5 5 5 5   ?  

Edited by Catoni
correction