Driver's License Questions?

3 minutes ago, stud858 said:

After checking with Geneva licence treaty document,

Police station officers, insurance companies, and Thai gov law acts you will find no evidence of any such 60 or 90 day rules, but if there is proof I'm happy to check it.

Unless you setup your usual,normal,permanent address in Thailand you are good to go for the year.

Geneva licence treaty document yeah all Thai police and judges know about that. ?

Dunno about the 60 day but the 90 day rule in Thailand is attached like other things to IDP's and home DL's as I understood living here with a permanent address.

Can't remember where officially stated maybe in small print of some vehicle insurance companies.

The reasonable thing to do if you drive in Thailand a lot whatever get a Thai DL licence.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, stud858 said:

After checking with Geneva licence treaty document,

Police station officers, insurance companies, and Thai gov law acts you will find no evidence of any such 60 or 90 day rules, but if there is proof I'm happy to check it.

Unless you setup your usual,normal,permanent address in Thailand you are good to go for the year.

I agree...I was simply warning about conflicting information...Trip Advisor for example.

Always a good reference point:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit/

1 hour ago, John Singer said:

Are the Thai test questions out somewhere in its entirety? How do most Thais prepare for the test? 

I came about a website with about 100 questions but it was mentioned here that the Thai test has a much larger pool of questions.

How about reading the thread your questions are answered.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Geneva licence treaty document yeah all Thai police and judges know about that. ?

Dunno about the 60 day but the 90 day rule in Thailand is attached like other things to IDP's and home DL's as I understood living here with a permanent address.

Can't remember where officially stated maybe in small print of some vehicle insurance companies.

The reasonable thing to do if you drive in Thailand a lot whatever get a Thai DL licence.

Yes decide by good reasoning for your own situation if an IDP or Thai licence is needed.

I only let people know there is no recorded law about 30,60,90 day limitation.

The only recorded law I found close to it is if you set up a permanent address then you must have Thai licence from the start. 

Extension of stay is not permanent. Your permanent address is still your home country.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:53 AM, richard_smith237 said:

That's taking 'the moral high ground' a little too far.... The questions are daft and would have nothing greater than a minimal impact on someones driving ability. 

The test, both practical and questionnaire sections are farcical. 

Really?  You should be able to pass without cheating, then, as so many others have done.

5 hours ago, stud858 said:

Your permanent address is still your home country.

Well your advice is not what I would advise your just trying to be a clever clog's which won't down well in Thailand when there is a serious incident.

I don't have an address in UK  my home address is Thailand whatever you think and is acknowledged as so..

My UK bank knows that,  IPC know that. 

Well your advice is not what I would advise your just trying to be a clever clog's which won't down well in Thailand when there is a serious incident.

I don't have an address in UK  my home address is Thailand whatever you think and is acknowledged as so..

My UK bank knows that,  IPC know that. 

If you feel as though while you are on a temporary visa that you are permanently in Thailand that's ok by me. If that's the case you can't get an IDP at all. Not even for 1 day.

13 hours ago, stud858 said:

If you feel as though while you are on a temporary visa that you are permanently in Thailand that's ok by me. If that's the case you can't get an IDP at all. Not even for 1 day.

You have lost me, I'm on extension to stay, I have 6year DL's I can get a Thai IDP any time I want. 

You have lost me, I'm on extension to stay, I have 6year DL's I can get a Thai IDP any time I want. 

Yes but you can't use your uk licence with IDP from UK to drive in Thailand If your normal address is thailand. You will need a Thai licence, which I think is what you are saying you have.so we are in agreement .

Also if you have a Thai licence and get IDP from Thailand, then you can drive back in UK as you don't have a normal address there. UK may have different or added rules. I am only familiar with the Thai rules.

But I've been side tracked. My stance all along has been there is no such 30 60 or 90 day rules which some posters seem to believe in with no evidence forthcoming.

33 minutes ago, stud858 said:

My stance all along has been there is no such 30 60 or 90 day rules which some posters seem to believe in with no evidence forthcoming.

The problem is there's contradictory mis-information everywhere, as said the consensus is without going into details, if you want to drive in Thailand your home DL & IDP whether it's required or not is recommended.

Staying for long periods or living get a Thai DL.

Here's just a few examples of confusing info & gobble-de-gook :-

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are.

International driving license ( No such thing usually a con, and a western DL is sometimes referred to as an international DL )  An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License.

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce: ... The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

So this implies that for UK drivers, a IDP is not required. However, according to the AA and the UK government website, Foreign travel advice – Thailand, see section on Road Travel: You can drive in Thailand using an International Driving Permit or Thai driving licence.

Driver's License for Thailand. You may drive with an international driver's license for up to 6 months, after which you have to apply for a Thai license. This process is not daunting as many foreigners do not even need to take a driving test as a foreign or international license is usually enough.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The problem is there's contradictory mis-information everywhere, as said the consensus is without going into details, if you want to drive in Thailand your home DL & IDP whether it's required or not is recommended.

Staying for long periods or living get a Thai DL.

Here's just a few examples of confusing info & gobble-de-gook :-

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are.

International driving license ( No such thing usually a con, and a western DL is sometimes referred to as an international DL )  An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver's License.

To ride a motorcycle in Thailand, and remain strictly within the law, you must possess and produce: ... The maximum period that you can drive a hire car or bike legally on an IDP is 60 days on a Tourist Visa, 90 days on a Non-Immigrant O visa. For rentals in excess of that a Thai Driver's Licence is required.

So this implies that for UK drivers, a IDP is not required. However, according to the AA and the UK government website, Foreign travel advice – Thailand, see section on Road Travel: You can drive in Thailand using an International Driving Permit or Thai driving licence.

Driver's License for Thailand. You may drive with an international driver's license for up to 6 months, after which you have to apply for a Thai license. This process is not daunting as many foreigners do not even need to take a driving test as a foreign or international license is usually enough.

The information you use should only be official sources. I've seen all the private websites saying all kinds of things too. If you stick to .gov websites the real regulations will be known without any doubt.

Finally going by general consensus is one way, but I personally check the official information . It's up to all. I just wanted to clear the air that there is no official month limit rules.

Each can make there mind up. I advise on the facts only.

I am not saying everyone should get an IDP. Do your own research and make up your own mind.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, maccastime said:

So as I understand the above I am heading to Thailand next month for 3 weeks will I be able to rent a motor vehicle with just my Australian licence

Yes, no problem.

You may get fined by police though for not possessing an IDP. Is your license car only or also motorbike?

3 hours ago, maccastime said:

So as I understand the above I am heading to Thailand next month for 3 weeks will I be able to rent a motor vehicle with just my Australian licence

When I first came over the shop I rented from didn't even ask for a license. Depends on the shop you rent from. Make sure you do a complete inspection of the bike before you ride away and point out any dings and scratches because if you don't when you return the bike they will say you did it and keep your security deposit.

13 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

When I first came over the shop I rented from didn't even ask for a license. Depends on the shop you rent from. Make sure you do a complete inspection of the bike before you ride away and point out any dings and scratches because if you don't when you return the bike they will say you did it and keep your security deposit.

Yeah one time for me they wanted my passport in one shop, another wanted a deposit, they didn't want my UK DL..

Take pictures of bike/scoot with the shops hirer present on your phone is recommended.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Yes, no problem.

You may get fined by police though for not possessing an IDP. Is your license car only or also motorbike?

I'd change the ' may ' to ' will '  ?  and also Oz DL's are issued in different states they need a IDP to get a Thai DL.

30 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'd change the ' may ' to ' will '  ?  and also Oz DL's are issued in different states they need a IDP to get a Thai DL.

But for  a tourist on a 3 week holiday  not many ( no one) are going to go to the trouble of getting a Thai licence,

if the Ozzie licence is written in English  and has pictograms of  your vehicle entitlements  ie  a car and/or motorbike  and has your photo on it...then hire places and the police will except it...an International drivers permit is just a translation of your licence into various languages  non of which are Thai..so English written on the licence is IMHO acceptable.

Also if you are on a long stay visa or extension then  yes they expect you to get a Thai licence..however  they have never asked to see my visa at a traffic checkpoint...so how would they know if your a tourist or not ?

22 minutes ago, johng said:

But for  a tourist on a 3 week holiday  not many ( no one) are going to go to the trouble of getting a Thai licence,

if the Ozzie licence is written in English  and has pictograms of  your vehicle entitlements  ie  a car and/or motorbike  and has your photo on it...then hire places and the police will except it...an International drivers permit is just a translation of your licence into various languages  non of which are Thai..so English written on the licence is IMHO acceptable.

Also if you are on a long stay visa or extension then  yes they expect you to get a Thai licence..however  they have never asked to see my visa at a traffic checkpoint...so how would they know if your a tourist or not ?

All in all it's all the same. IDP cost 40 bucks oz. Fine 40 bucks oz. If you get caught more than once then you'd wish you had IDP.

Friend of mine on big bike wasn't questioned when showed only oz licence.

Disagree, I think it is 'may'.

Obtaining a Thai DL is not the issue here.

6 hours ago, johng said:

if the Ozzie licence is written in English  and has pictograms of  your vehicle entitlements  ie  a car and/or motorbike  and has your photo on it...then hire places and the police will except it.

I agree but if you have DL from your home country still get an IDP,  if you want to argue with the limited knowledge that Thai police stopping you have well goodluck with that mush.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Disagree, I think it is 'may'.

Obtaining a Thai DL is not the issue here.

Well my Oz mate had to do the full test to get a Thai DL because he didn't have an IDP accompanied with his Oz DL.

The issue here as I see it is you need an IDP with your home DL whether it's required or not because of Thailand's road police right or wrong do not know the agreements about foreign DL's.

Things must have changed big time in recent years.

9 years ago in Udon Thani province I applied for a Thai licence. No test, no video, no eye test,,, nothing!!! I was issued with a licence for 11 years. Runs out in November 2020.

Just paid my dosh (600 baht if I can remember) had my pic' taken and 20 minutes it was all finished.

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Things must have changed big time in recent years.

9 years ago in Udon Thani province I applied for a Thai licence. No test, no video, no eye test,,, nothing!!! I was issued with a licence for 11 years. Runs out in November 2020.

Just paid my dosh (600 baht if I can remember) had my pic' taken and 20 minutes it was all finished.

11 years license? Sounds very strange. Can you post a picture (with blurred out personal details)?

A while ago i talked with somebody here in Udon (Thai, born in Udon) about driving licenses and he said that he has to get a new one every 5 years because when he got his license there were no lifetime licenses anymore (and i've also never seen another type of license than 1/2 years, 5 years or lifetime). He is probably something like 40, so got his license most likely more than 20 years ago (of course not impossible that he just got it a few years ago, i didn't ask him about this)

21 minutes ago, jackdd said:

11 years license? Sounds very strange. Can you post a picture (with blurred out personal details)?

A while ago i talked with somebody here in Udon (Thai, born in Udon) about driving licenses and he said that he has to get a new one every 5 years because when he got his license there were no lifetime licenses anymore (and i've also never seen another type of license than 1/2 years, 5 years or lifetime). He is probably something like 40, so got his license most likely more than 20 years ago (of course not impossible that he just got it a few years ago, i didn't ask him about this)

Yes Jack I can. If this thread has finished I'll send a PM. Maybe I got a lifetime one!!??

Went to the licencing place in Penn (UTProvince) for Mrs Owl on Monday. Soooo busy! Put her name in a book. Has to be there next month at 8-30am.

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

I used to have a 10+ years as well, but when it ran out had to settle for 5+ years.

Archived