Chatachuck night market to close on September 12

snoop1130

Chatachuck night market to close on September 12

By The Nation

chatuchak-night-market-4.jpg

THE POPULAR Chatachuk night market will officially come to an end on September 12, after seven years of operations, as vendors have been told to remove their items by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA).

The night market is north of Chatachuk weekend market, one of the largest markets in Thailand with 15,000 stalls, which will remain open .

The 26-rai of land of the JJ Green Market will be returned to the HM Queen Sirikit Garden Foundation. The area is to be improved as part of BMA’s campaign to return green areas to the capital.

On their Facebook page, market operators describe the area as the shopping district with the coolest shops and night vintage market in Bangkok. It opens between 6pm and 1.30am from Thursday to Sunday.

Supakorn Weerasuwipakorn, director of BMA’s markets, said that the BMA’s rental contract with the foundation expired on August 12, therefore the BMA will return the land to the foundation.

The BMA has asked the public not visit the market since the rental contract expired and told vendors to remove their items from the area before September 12.

After the date, the BMA will close the area in preparation for the return of the land to the foundation.

The renovation of the area will see construction of bridges and walkways to link HM Queen Sirikit public park (196 rais) with nearby Wachirabenjathat or Suan Rofai public parks (375 rais) and Chatuchak Park (155 rais).

The BMA plans to upgrade the area to be the first metropolitan public park in Bangkok to be like Central Park in New York.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353622

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TomnearCentral said:

As I resident of Bangkok for 14 years I am just asking myself where this Chatachuck market may be....?? ?

It is found as "JJ Green Night Market".

Zoom out of this view to see that it is north(east) of Chatuchak market next to Queen Sirikit park as described in the article:

https://goo.gl/maps/7u71hX3LBXD2

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

".....after seven years of operations, as vendors have been told to remove their items by Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)".

The BMA has bigger and fatter envelopes awaiting them. Time to cut the small time players loose and go for the big time. 

• Like 2

What ever did folks do before this icon of Bangkok sprung into existence.....7 years ago.

Y'all act like they are tearing down Wat Pho.

Times change. Smart folks change with them. Everything will be in equilibrium. For those who want the Wild West, there is still Cambodia.

• Sad 1

Word from a different BKK based web site was that the JJ Green management hadn't paid rent in a long time. No idea if it is true.

JJ Green is just down the road from me and was a great place to meet friends and have a bite to eat and then cool down and shake off the meal with a walk around the park.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, dhind1 said:

Realistically while I am not happy about the closure of a thriving night market. Bangkok is in desperate need of more parkland. If they indeed do develop it into a Park then I say well done. I know TIT, so time will tell. 

You can always find a market. You can always set one up in a parking lot.

Not so easy for to make a park

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, bsdthai said:

better to clean these ppl out now. more and more ppl are buying everything online anyway. We do. Its the best way to avoid stress of markets, traffic, etc. 

10 hours ago, The manic said:

You may find markets stressful. Most do not. Shopping on line denudes urban areas of life and energy.

Not to mention it also denudes them of sorely needed income streams. How more shortsighted can we possibly get? This is not the US/UK or any other semblance of a first-world society. If I didn't know better, and I don't, I would be suspicious of a multi-pronged effort to cull the masses. At best the populace is being strangulated by ignorance from all sides.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CLW said:

I am wondering that there is no protest yet like with the Khao San vendors or Doi Suthep housing.
Are Thais really accepting everything from above silently?

The 26-rai of land of the JJ Green Market will be returned to the HM Queen Sirikit Garden Foundation.

Thais don't generally protest when the Royal Family are involved!

• Like 2

Realistically while I am not happy about the closure of a thriving night market. Bangkok is in desperate need of more parkland. If they indeed do develop it into a Park then I say well done. I know TIT, so time will tell. 
I'm actually also in for both sides - markets and green area / parks in BKK.
However, with having two parks already nearby was it really necessary to make space for another one?
Better distribute the green area more evenly over Bangkok.
How about the many areas in downtown that used to be parks (though a lot is private owned therefore the public can not do much) and have been converted to Malls and Condos?
The BMA should do something about this!