Passport got wet

Hi my passport got wet due to heavy rain yesterday. 

The first page which contains the photo was kind of smudged but all are ok. 

Would there be any problem? I will be going to Chaengwattana tomorrow for 90 days and will be flying on the 1st week of october. 

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Does the biometric chip not have a digital file of your photo?

That's way beyond my knowledge level... but when my passport got wet and the photo obscured a bit, everyone including border control said it was best to get a new one.

Hard to tell, depends how badly damaged is your passport ?

There's a chip but i'm quite sure they can still deny you entry or whathever if your passport becomes unreadable.

I would get a new passport by safety, you don't want to get stuck at immigration next time if it can be easily avoided.

3 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's way beyond my knowledge level... but when my passport got wet and the photo obscured a bit, everyone including border control said it was best to get a new one.

From Wikipedia......The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. This is a load of rubbish as I have a UK Passport with digital chip but I have NEVER had my fingerprints taken, and iris scan is impossible from a photo because of the low resolution, and facial recognition can be changed by wearing glasses, shaving or hairstyle. Get a new one mate.

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

From Wikipedia......The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. This is a load of rubbish as I have a UK Passport with digital chip but I have NEVER had my fingerprints taken, and iris scan is impossible from a photo because of the low resolution, and facial recognition can be changed by wearing glasses, shaving or hairstyle. Get a new one mate.

No, this is not a load of rubbish. These are new methods that are being introduced to passport applicants in the UK. Facial recognition is now in common use on all passports, yours included probably. Why do you think that the HMPO is so strict about the standard of your photo?

I have a pal back in the UK who, by invitation, is completing in a trail of iris recognition. All he does, when he rolls up to the desk is stick his eye into an eye scanner. If the scan matches, he's on his way. It hasn't failed yet as far as I know.

The only reason that you haven't encountered these new methods is because you're applying from abroad, where the technology for data capture is not available.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

No, this is not a load of rubbish. These are new methods that are being introduced to passport applicants in the UK. Facial recognition is now in common use on all passports, yours included probably. Why do you think that the HMPO is so strict about the standard of your photo?

I have a pal back in the UK who, by invitation, is completing in a trail of iris recognition. All he does, when he rolls up to the desk is stick his eye into an eye scanner. If the scan matches, he's on his way. It hasn't failed yet as far as I know.

The only reason that you haven't encountered these new methods is because you're applying from abroad, where the technology for data capture is not available.

No no no , I got my new passport at Liverpool in June. I do not believe that facial recognition, distances between parts of your face, can be ACCURATLY obtained from a low res 1 x 2 inch low res photo, let alone iris recognition. I am all in favour of all the new technology, only people with something to hide need worry, but it's not here yet. A list of countries using biometric passports included Thailand ! UK passport about 170 quid, Thai Bht 500.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

No no no , I got my new passport at Liverpool in June. I do not believe that facial recognition, distances between parts of your face, can be ACCURATLY obtained from a low res 1 x 2 inch low res photo, let alone iris recognition. I am all in favour of all the new technology, only people with something to hide need worry, but it's not here yet. A list of countries using biometric passports included Thailand ! UK passport about 170 quid, Thai Bht 500.

New applicants, who have never had a passport before now have to attend an interview with HMPO staff. That is when the data capture takes place. Old dudes like you and me don't count!

Concerning the iris recognition, my pal was invited to take part in a trail when he applied for renewal and when he agreed, he went to have his eye scanned and photographed. It is not lifted from the passport photo.

And as far as facial recognition is concerned, I'm guessing you're not very active on Facebook. I was getting sick to death of my photo being 'tagged' on other people's wall until I discovered how to block it. Their system was recognizing my face out of millions of choices.And that's without an HMPO standardized mugshot!  It certainly does work.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

New applicants, who have never had a passport before now have to attend an interview with HMPO staff. That is when the data capture takes place. Old dudes like you and me don't count!

Concerning the iris recognition, my pal was invited to take part in a trail when he applied for renewal and when he agreed, he went to have his eye scanned and photographed. It is not lifted from the passport photo.

And as far as facial recognition is concerned, I'm guessing you're not very active on Facebook. I was getting sick to death of my photo being 'tagged' on other people's wall until I discovered how to block it. Their system was recognizing my face out of millions of choices.And that's without an HMPO standardized mugshot!  It certainly does work.

Can you imagine how much longer it will take to get through immigration in UK/Thailand/anywhere, if everyone has to have their eyes scanned. The current e-pass scanners do not work all the time. But, of course, it will keep the bad guys out, or in, whichever you prefer. Cheers.

To the best of my knowledge digital data is captured for facial, iris and fingerprint recognition and is collected at the time of applying for a passport.  This is then converted to a readable code and embedded to the chip or digital watermark on an ID card or passport.

When going through a passport control the scanner reads the code and then performs the checks using the technology at the border control point.  Intervention or action by Border Control staff only happens when the system cannot verify the person.  Border control organisations do keep file copies of the data but the checking point does not refer to that database for a match as it would take ages to check against a file containing several million people; far quicker to check against that held on the card/passport.

Fingerprints and irises cannot be changed and facial recognition is based upon several specific identifying points on the face which, when checked together give an accurate reading of the person using it and sufficient to accept as proof of ID; especially when done in conjunction with iris and fingerprint scans.

I renewed my passport a few years ago and I'm fairly certain this new recognition data was collected, it is one of the reasons that the number of issuing offices has been reduced as it would be prohibitively expensive for each Consular office to be equipped to provide this service.

I think the passport photo is just there to embarrass us!

7 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

To the best of my knowledge digital data is captured for facial, iris and fingerprint recognition and is collected at the time of applying for a passport. 

That entirely depends upon what country you are applying for a passport for,.

Most do not do all of that since applications can be done by mail. Just the photo and the info shown on data page is on the chip.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That entirely depends upon what country you are applying for a passport for,.

Most do not do all of that since applications can be done by mail. Just the photo and the info shown on data page is on the chip.

Agreed, I was referring to the more technologically advanced places.  I know for sure that Hong Kong does it for its ID cards.

12 hours ago, berybert said:

Carry a copy and you don't have to put yourself through any of this rubbish. 

Passports get wet, lost, stolen all the time. I lose my copy and what's the worst that can happen, I get home and print off another copy. 

Agreed. I never carry my passport unless I know I'm going to need it, which is rarely.

11 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Agreed, I was referring to the more technologically advanced places.  I know for sure that Hong Kong does it for its ID cards.

I think even countries that can be considered technologically advanced are not going to do it any time soon. It would just complicate the passport application process. Also some have privacy laws that would prevent some of the data being collected.

Thai passports can only be applied for in person so that the photo can be done digitally and they also put fingerprint data that they get from the chip on the Thai ID card presented.

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I believe they use facial recognition techniques like measuring how far apart your eyes are and stuff like that so beards glasses and makeup won't make a difference.

12 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Can you imagine how much longer it will take to get through immigration in UK/Thailand/anywhere, if everyone has to have their eyes scanned. The current e-pass scanners do not work all the time. But, of course, it will keep the bad guys out, or in, whichever you prefer. Cheers.

I've seen it in action. Citizens of China and Macau who commute daily across the land border at Gongbei Port, have a fast track pass card linked to Iris recognition software. They scan the card, look into the eye scanner and if they get a match the barrier opens. Thousands cross that border every day.

Whether a damaged passport is acceptable for entry or not can depend on many variables.  How badly damaged it is, which country you want to enter and even which officer is making the decision on your entry.

If unsure you should contact your embassy for an opinion.  A new document would alleviate all concerns.

13 hours ago, berybert said:

Carry a copy and you don't have to put yourself through any of this rubbish. 

Passports get wet, lost, stolen all the time. I lose my copy and what's the worst that can happen, I get home and print off another copy. 

The OP says he's flying on 1st week of oct. How does your photocopy work for travel?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

They said it was best to get a new one but no one denied you entry? I got a 10 year canada passport that no longer has a gold emblem on the front and my picture is slightly water-marked on the side - all from carrying it in my pocket in Thailand. Now I'm thinking about replacing it 6 years early but so far only one Thai official questioned the lack of emblem on cover. That was mainly because he couldn't find the first page easily and got a bit grumpy. I just told him Canadians don't make good passports like Thais do and he was all smiles again. 

I'm still debating whether or not to replace it before I leave for SEA in october.

Best bet is to get a new one if you have time but as long as it is machine readable should be ok. I left Thailand, entered Australia then exited Australia and re-entered Thailand on a passport where the photo was not discernible after i was caught in the rain. The immigration officer in Sydney when i was leaving just told me to get a new one.  

OB