THAI apologises for flying cockroach?

snoop1130

THAI apologises for flying cockroach?

By The Nation

355f02dcf7c83687d9fc6e9dd3a73aa9.jpeg

Thai Airways International (THAI) has apologised for flying with a cockroach on board a flight from the Japanese city of Sapporo to Bangkok last week.

Facebook page @Hokkaidofanclub on Monday posted a video clip showing a live cockroach on the flight from Chitose Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday.

The post received much comment from social-media users concerning the national flag carrier’s cleanliness and sanitation.

In a statement issued by THAI on Tuesday, it said the company had a normal cleaning process for each plane, both when it reached a destination and before its next flight. 

There is also a big cabin clean during flight breaks and deep cleaning during scheduled maintenance, it added.

However, following the incident on TG671, it has increased the frequency of cabin big cleaning on its aircraft. 

As to the plane in which the insect was found, it had passed the normal cleaning process when it landed at Suvarnabhumi on August 31, THAI said. 

Moreover, the aircraft in question today additionally passed its cabin big cleaning and will receive deep cleaning during scheduled maintenance tomorrow, it added.

For measures to get rid of cockroaches, the carrier has now placed cockroach traps and used gel to trap the insects, as well as spraying an insecticide not harmful to humans, THAI explained.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30353741

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-4
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

For a moment  I thought they  were apologising for flying with a member of the Junta on-board.

For a moment I thought there actually was something to apologise for. Did you noticed the size of the insect? Scary....

1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

That little fellow would have some value on the evening food barrow in Soi 4 Sukhumvit. I see a market and income opportunity here for Thai Airways and their surplus cockroaches. 

Why didnt somebody just scarf it down?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

The last time I flew Thai Heathrow - Bangkok I got a serious case of head lice, I spent the 1st two days in Bangkok in my room washing my hair with salt & vinegar, that really was the LAST time I flew with Thai.

Other considerations apart , why fly Thai ?

Their BKK to LHR direct is the most expensive option in a limited field.

That , plus the fact that the flight crew and pilots regard their passengers as mere cattle being shunted around makes them a very poor choice for any savvy comuter.

• Like 1

I've encountered these obnoxious insects on both city and inter-city buses so it's not a surprise to me to see them on an airplane. Could have gotten on board any number of ways. Could have easily been a stowaway on a passenger's carry-ons.

It's when they establish nests and start reproducing that the problem escalates as I saw on a city bus one day. There were several living inside a spare knitted gear shift ball cover that was dangling from the seat in front of me.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least they have seats on Thai.  My last direct flight to UK was on BA and I had to stand for over half the flight because the seat pan was broken, before I sat on it!  After a couple of hours it was too painful to remain seated as my back started to ache from the abnormal position and stresses.  Cabin crew were very good and apologetic but there were no other seats on the plane as it was January 1st and completely full.  Had to sit in it for the landing and that could have been very dangerous if it had collapsed completely.

Cabin crew made official complaint for me and I received a reply from their Customer Service Head Office in Newcastle acknowledging the seat was broken and they promised to fix it.  They acknowledged the seat was an important part of their service but all that I got was an official apology.  I wrote back and they 'generously' offered me a voucher for 20 quid.  When returning via Heathrow I asked where the customer service office was at Terminal 5.........there isn't one, you have to email Newcastle!

I do not do do Facebook or Twitter so perhaps they check these first to see how much damage you can do online before offering adequate compensation.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER fly BA.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

I got them from the seat headrest, nowhere else, and that WAS on a Thai plane, nowhere else. Perhaps you should do a little research before you comment.

It’s not impossible to catch them from a headrest etc. though it is uncommon. You can’t be certain in any case.

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

That little fellow would have some value on the evening food barrow in Soi 4 Sukhumvit. I see a market and income opportunity here for Thai Airways and their surplus cockroaches. 

I watched the bemused owner of said cart as two young farangs vied with each other to eat one the insects.  The sign said 20 baht (for a bag) but the competitors were giving 20 baht each insect!  The proprietor was delighted.

I'd rather have a cockroach on board than they drench the cabin with some insecticide that remains in the cabin air for God knows how long.
Enough that they have to spray the air sanitizers on every flight to China.
Always gives me a sore throat.