I am almost ready to Pull the plug and leave

Ban Phe Dezza

1 hour ago, transam said:

However, for the vast majority of people, they wish to do more than to exist. They want to live comfortably and to have an enjoyable old age. They want clean water, proper facilities, good quality food, and a healthy environment. They want to be sure that they can access quality health care if something happens, and they don't want to worry about yaba fueled crazies in the neighborhood, or having to put up with noisy neighbors or living next door to Chester the Molester. 20-30-40,000 baht doesn't really get one that

So, what do you suggest OP to do, his income is 40k, no matter how "the vast majority of people" spend their life, suicide?

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The other places you mention will still have financial requirements to qualify for long stay Visa etc. Same situation different country, cost of living probably similar.

I know you have said the thread is not about how to get an extension but if you do the income letter (no proof required) from Australian consulate you can still get visa extension no matter what your finances.

Depending on your lifestyle it can still be way cheaper than Australia and probably the same as the other destinations you mention.

You still have an income better than most Thais, teachers, policemen, bank workers etc. Not sure if you are saying you are having problems living on 40k or qualifying for visa on 40k ?

both atm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

What makes you think moving to another country will be better, rather than just delaying an inevitable outcome in years to come ? If your pension will not rise as fast as any countries inflation each year, your just kicking the can further down the road.

A

Hi it is not the pension that is the real issue it is the current exchange rates also my $ against the strong US $

17 minutes ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

Brit man said I have several friends, too poor to stay in Thailand, who now rotate around Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Philippines **I thought of that but entry to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia cost $ 30 US every time  Philippines free entry on arrival. interesting to find out how your friends do it and average costs 

It appears to be same same but different, friends report similar costs and lifestyle, living on oz pension. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The reality is that Thailand does not want the  impoverished retirees. It has not wanted them for some time. This socio demographic group has been nothing but trouble for Thailand. They are often without medical insurance, live a marginal subsistence existence and take up space that is more profitably allocated to short term visitors and a wealthier demographic. In the coming years, Thailand will make it more difficult for these people to remain, not easier. The future is bleak for this demographic. If they are lucky, they have a quick death over the next five years before the economy undergoes an adjustment and they find themselves with even less income.

Until then, if one comes from an impoverished background. a lifestyle of living hand to mouth, free of worry about the future or care about what happens if he becomes ill, or if one really doesn't want the best for his kids, then all the tales of living on 20,000 or 30,000 or 40,000 baht a month work out.  

It is all relative. Some people are quite  happy living in poverty because they don't know anything else, nor desire to have a different lifestyle. They are fine with low quality living arrangements and poor quality  food.  However, for the vast majority of people, they wish to do more than to exist. They want to live comfortably and to have an enjoyable old age. They want clean water, proper facilities, good quality food, and a healthy environment. They want to be sure that they can access quality health care if something happens, and they don't want to worry about yaba fueled crazies in the neighborhood, or having to put up with noisy neighbors or living next door to Chester the Molester. 20-30-40,000 baht doesn't really get one that, despite all the claims to the contrary. A good quality home costs money. So does  food. So do quality clothes etc.   Claiming that all will be well  at 40,000 is an exercise in denial and self delusion. It won't be , nor can it be in today's Thailand.

So, what do you suggest OP to do, his income is 40k, no matter how "the vast majority of people" spend their life, suicide?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

Judging by some the Posts please excuse me for living

I was asking fellow Pensioner Aussies and Brits who might be in the same situation or had genuine advice to offer I should have just kept my thoughts to my self Moderators i think we should close the Post 

Some responses are way Over the top of my post 

Moderators Please note  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

So you are going to give limited mobility a miss!!

What a crazy comment, maybe you will like me have no choice regarding that.

If you are going to give limited mobility a miss, stay inside your home, never ever dare to go on the roads here, as doing so you could very easily lose your mobility, due to no fault of yours, but others.

hi colin, 

some things in life are unavoidable, and limited mobility is on my list.

• Like 1

The OP should explore the option of combining his income with savings on deposit here. He basically needs 32,500 baht income per month, plus savings on deposit for 3 months of 400,000 baht. If he has not got that much in savings, the future is pretty bleak.

I'd agree with other posters that other Asian countries are not going to be  better in terms of living costs. They also don't have Thailand's infrastructure.

1 minute ago, VincentRJ said:

It seems that this topic is all about money. 
I assume that retirees who decide to live in Thailand do so, not only because the general cost of living is cheaper than in their home country, but also because they like and admire the Thai lifestyle, which includes the general friendliness of Thai people, the 'Mai Pen Rai' attitude, the Buddhist influence which encourages happiness despite one's economic circumstances, and so on.

Roughly, 40,000 baht per month translates to about A$400 per week.
If you owned your own home in Australia, lived in an area with access to public transport, had no debts, and had a garden surrounding your home where you could grow your own fruit and vegetables, you could live comfortably and healthily on A$400 per week.

The point I'm making is that whatever your circumstances, you should use your nous to organize your affairs in the best manner, in accordance with your income.
A serviced apartment in the centre of Bangkok is going to cost much more than a similarly sized, serviced apartment in the outer suburbs. If you are struggling to pay the bills because you live in an expensive area, then consider moving to a less expensive area which provides the same basic services.

There are plenty of places in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where one can rent an air-conditioned room with ensuite for $125 - $170

(AUD) per month. That's 20% of the Australian Age Pension.

In Australia, renting will take 50-60% of pension income.

• Like 1

Having lived in Myanmar for several years, the cost of living here is certainly much lower than Thailand or other south-east Asian countries.  But it is not really an option for the OP because:

- There is no 'retirement' visa.  You can get a one-year (renewable) visa if you marry a Myanmar citizen, or work for a company.

- You'll need emergency evacuation health insurance, 'cos the local hospitals can be very basic.

There are probably ways around these hurdles.  I spend about 10,000 baht a month (excluding accommodation costs - paid by my employer). Lots of fresh and healthy food and healthy lifestyle.

• Like 1