Woman becomes 16th rabies victim this year

webfact

Woman becomes 16th rabies victim this year

By The Nation

rb.jpg

FILE photo

A Tak woman has died of rabies a year after she was bitten by a dog in Surat Thani, raising the rabies death toll to 16 this year, the director general of the Disease Control Department said on Wednesday.

Dr Suwanchai Watanayincharoen said he received a report that the 50-year-old woman died in Tak during the past week.

Suwanchai said the woman was bitten by a dog on the back of her hand in Surat Thani a year ago and had not received any rabies shot. The director general said the dog has no record of receiving a rabies shot either.

Fifteen of the cases were caused by dog bites and another from a cat bite, he said.

The deaths were recorded in Buri Ram, Rayong, Surin, Songkhla, Trang, Nakhon Ratchasima, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phatthalung, Nong Khai, Yasothon Kalasin, Mukdahan, Tak and Surat Thani, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30353788

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-09-05

We'll be getting into the 'strays' issue if we're not careful and that's something that could have risked me getting rabies, about 6 weeks ago, early one morning when I had foolishly changed my cycle route. Approaching a village but still out of earshot, had anything happened, I was chased by this savagely barking labrador-sized mongrel, with slaver oozing from its mouth and managed to give it a good kick, only for me to here this louder, deeper barking on my right side and this BIG slim black lab-type beast. Shit! … I really thought that I was about to get eaten alive, when, first the left-side mutt, maybe fearing another kick, gave ground, only for the RH hound to follow suit. I'd been pedaling so hard - as you do to avoid being eaten - that I was absolutely drained and, as I looked ahead to village activity, only a few hundred meters away by then, I was bound to agree with all the anti-stray and anti-soi dog debate. It was so scary!

RIP, poor woman.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ossy said:

We'll be getting into the 'strays' issue if we're not careful and that's something that could have risked me getting rabies, about 6 weeks ago, early one morning when I had foolishly changed my cycle route. Approaching a village but still out of earshot, had anything happened, I was chased by this savagely barking labrador-sized mongrel, with slaver oozing from its mouth and managed to give it a good kick, only for me to here this louder, deeper barking on my right side and this BIG slim black lab-type beast. Shit! … I really thought that I was about to get eaten alive, when, first the left-side mutt, maybe fearing another kick, gave ground, only for the RH hound to follow suit. I'd been pedaling so hard - as you do to avoid being eaten - that I was absolutely drained and, as I looked ahead to village activity, only a few hundred meters away by then, I was bound to agree with all the anti-stray and anti-soi dog debate. It was so scary!

RIP, poor woman.

Give up cycling!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, webfact said:

The director general said the dog has no record of receiving a rabies shot either.

I just wonder how he still can figger this out after 1y. The dog most certainly dead for a long time and probably a soi dog who never have a medical record available.

If you infrormed well if you do 70% of the population you will eliminate the rabies

Beside that humam also can have prevention too by getting rabies vacine.

I have it for years just as prevention and saved me one time in europe.

It is not expensive.