'I'm no child bride' - Thai girlfriend, 40, of Brit cave hero Vernon Unsworth dismisses Elon Musk’s ‘paedo’ claims

webfact

8 minutes ago, rockthekazbah said:

Ok, forget it. I read all the posts on this topic and you all sounded interested in the Musk/ Vern case. But I guess not, or you just don't want to talk to newbies.

I was genuinely interested in how the Thai visa system works....

Most here are interested in Vern's problem but not interested in HIS visa status, that's his business..

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rockthekazbah said:

I was wondering why a man who lives and has a relationship with a woman in Thailand wouldn't have a permanent visa? I know he still travels to the UK, but it tweaked my interest when I saw it online. So I thought I'd come here and ask, after this site came up on Google. I don't know why I got all the strange comments... I just find the whole case interesting, that's all....and I thought you'd all know about Visas.

You say there are different sorts?

There are a few different visas available.

A lot depends of how often and how long you will be staying in Thailand each time. If you live here permanently, over 50 and can come up with 800,000 or 65,000 baht income per month in your sole name bank account you can get a retirement extension. If you are married the figure drops to 400,000 and 40,000.

If you spend more time out of Thailand due to work commitments it is sometimes easier and cheaper to get a single or multi entry tourist visa.

If you work offshore depending on you nationality you can simply get a visa on arrival. Those guys are known as FIFO. Fly in, fly out.

For 500,000 baht you can get an elite card.

So the answer to your question about Vern is it depends on his job and if he is UK based. If you need to know more you had best contact Vern though I doubt if he will respond, I know that I wouldn't as it is personal to him.

Ok, forget it. I read all the posts on this topic and you all sounded interested in the Musk/ Vern case. But I guess not, or you just don't want to talk to newbies.
I was genuinely interested in how the Thai visa system works....

Visas for Thailand is a bit of a minefield and a lot of folks on here have strong views about the hoops you have to jump through to live here. Most people obtain a visa to enter the country and then get permission to stay which can be extended every year. These extensions can be based on retirement or marriage and you have to show funds in the bank ( or proof of income) to extend your permission to stay.
You have to report to Immigration every 90 days that you stay here and some areas you have to report your address every time you leave the country or leave the province !!

There is no permanent visa ( as far as I am aware) as in other countries where you can get one based on employment or marriage to a local. Permanent residence is available, as is citizenship, but again there are many stipulations and not everyone is able to achieve it.
But there are, tourist visas, education visas, business visas and so called retirement visas amongst others.

As I said it’s a minefield, I’ve covered only the basics, look in the visa forum for the full story !!

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Visas for Thailand is a bit of a minefield and a lot of folks on here have strong views about the hoops you have to jump through to live here. Most people obtain a visa to enter the country and then get permission to stay which can be extended every year. These extensions can be based on retirement or marriage and you have to show funds in the bank ( or proof of income) to extend your permission to stay.
You have to report to Immigration every 90 days that you stay here and some areas you have to report your address every time you leave the country or leave the province !!

There is no permanent visa ( as far as I am aware) as in other countries where you can get one based on employment or marriage to a local. Permanent residence is available, as is citizenship, but again there are many stipulations and not everyone is able to achieve it.
But there are, tourist visas, education visas, business visas and so called retirement visas amongst others.

As I said it’s a minefield, I’ve covered only the basics, look in the visa forum for the full story !!

Yes - plenty of "interesting" reading on this thread:-

"Yet more confusion over the removal of Income Certification Letter for British expats"

21 hours ago, rockthekazbah said:

I was wondering why a man who lives and has a relationship with a woman in Thailand wouldn't have a permanent visa? I know he still travels to the UK, but it tweaked my interest when I saw it online. So I thought I'd come here and ask, after this site came up on Google. I don't know why I got all the strange comments... I just find the whole case interesting, that's all....and I thought you'd all know about Visas.

You say there are different sorts?

Are you Elon's lawyer's investigator?

In Thailand permanent residency isn't easy to get. There's a quota of 100 people per country per year and the requirements are strict. It's not like the US where one can eventually get a green card by marriage.

PR also has few perks. It doesn't allow one to work. And one still has to get a re-entry permit when leaving the country. It's also expensive at around $6k for unmarried people and $3k for married. 

For someone like Vern he has easier and cheaper options- a visa based on marriage or retirement. 

• 4 months later...

Archived