Odds Against Us?

FaFaHead

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai the first week of November. As a result of doing my due diligence regarding many different topics in preparation for the move, I keep coming up against the fact that food poisoning is a very legitimate concern. We are anticipating eating Thai food from the markets and have watched a gazillion YouTube videos on the subject. I know there are obvious risks, but just how prevalent is food poisoning as a result of eating from these markets?

Edited by FaFaHead

3 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Been here for 15 years and never had any food poisoning from markets but once from a restaurant in Bangkok.

Don't worry about it and enjoy the food.

Tip: Choose the stall(s) where many people are waiting for food and not the empty ones.

Thanks. I have watched countless videos on market food and it certainly isn’t very sanitary. Seems like it’s a crapshoot. 

Edited by FaFaHead
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps I have a cast iron stomach, but coming to Thailand for about 13 years now , I have eaten everything put in front of me, Love to go to the night markets with the wife and always buy food. And always try different foods, some I like ,others I don't.

Never! not once have I got sick from it.

That’s good to hear. Thanks!

Just now, Crossy said:

Some people are more suseptible than others, bodies take time to acclimatise to the new bugs in the environment, some never seem to.

In close on 30 years living in the Far East I can count the number of time I've had actual food poisoning on the fingers of half a hand. I can count the number of times I've had a galloping gut rot / the trotts on more fingers (and toes) than I have.

Bring Immodium and take care where you eat, guzzi's advice is good, busy stalls are best.

Thank you. I was also told about charcoal tablets. 

23 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Apparently they work too. 

Wifey gets some local tablets (I'll have to check the name later) which work well to stop up the occasional bout, she has others to get things moving when things get stopped up.

Stock up on your favourite brand before coming out and see how you go.

Actual food-poisoning rather than just having the runs is a serious business. You'll know when you get it, trust me, I know. I ended up in hospital (in India, not Thailand) not very nice at all. Plus, I will never again complain about Thai hospitals!

Thank you for the info. 

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

In 30 years,only had food poisoning once,from a hotel 

in Bangkok,just buy from stalls that freshly cook the food

and are busy,if i ever returned to the UK ,suspect I would

get the shits,different,bacterial flora.use common sense

and don't worry too much about it.

regards worgeordie

Thanks much!

9 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

The phrase "food poisoning" means eating food that is spoiled and your guts are taken over by unwelcome bacteria. You'll know it when you got it, 'cause the food gets rejected from both ends. Food poisoning often requires medical care, mostly to avoid lethal dehydration. Fortunately it's pretty rare. In my 13 years here it's only happened twice, both times from eating farang food like potato salad or chicken salad. It's the mayonnaise, improperly refrigerated.

What happens to many tourists and to plenty of local Thai people is they eat food that simply cannot be digested. Dishes that are too spicy for them, or dishes cooked in overused or contaminated oil. As Crossy said, this will give you diarrhea. Unpleasant but not actually an illness. 

Just have to be careful. Good advice. 

I used to came to Thailand as a tourist 10 years ago

I use to get a little upset stomach

I have lived here permanently for 3 years now

My stomach has settled down i eat both Thai and Western food

I would suggest that you go to places that sell western food first

With plenty of cuatomers

Then gradually start to eat Thai food

Otherwise yo will be using a lot of Imodium tablets

Plus this will make you a little stressed

Just take your time to get acclimatised

Plus there are the expat club that has regular breakfasts and ladies lunches

They can also help steer you in the right direction

I hope this has been off help to you both

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lizard2010 said:

I used to came to Thailand as a tourist 10 years ago

I use to get a little upset stomach

I have lived here permanently for 3 years now

My stomach has settled down i eat both Thai and Western food

I would suggest that you go to places that sell western food first

With plenty of cuatomers

Then gradually start to eat Thai food

Otherwise yo will be using a lot of Imodium tablets

Plus this will make you a little stressed

Just take your time to get acclimatised

Plus there are the expat club that has regular breakfasts and ladies lunches

They can also help steer you in the right direction

I hope this has been off help to you both

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Makes sense to us!

• Like 1

I've been very sick a few times since I have been here. Not being able to keep food or water down accompanied by the trotts. I wouldn't know if it was from street food or restaurants as I was advised incubation times can be 24 to 48 hours and I generally eat 3 or 4 light meals a day.

When you first move here you might find your digestive tract takes a little while to acclimatise to the local bugs. Your body already has done so in your home country. After that, it is usually plain sailing.

As others have said, if the food is moving, it is generally good and tasty. Don't let the look of the market stall be your only guide as to whether the food is good or not.

Enjoy your new life.

• Thanks 1

No, you are right to be concerned. It is not sanitary, however, this really only depends on you.... how well you are resistant to bacteria.

About a year ago I got a food poisoning so bad, that when I got up from the bed (this stuff only happens at night for some reason) I immediately fainted, fell down the stairs and cracked my head open. It was really that bad and I was lucky to be alive.

Also, it is not only food that will make you sick. I was told by doctors that there is often a $ht season just like a flu season in the west, so you gotta be careful around people.

BTW, charcoal tablets are completely useless if you get bad food poisoning. The benefits are also often exaggerated and it may actually kill the vitamins and minerals in your body. Definitely not recommended to use if you are on any medication. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In 17 years here, I've had the GI Blues 2-3 times, but NEVER a case of food poisoning.

In 15 years in 'ultra-sanitary' Japan, I had the GI Blues 2-3 times, but NEVER a case of food poisoning

In the US, I had the GI Blues 3-4 times in 20 years AND food poisoning twice.

You can get the runs anywhere you go, and deal with them easily enough with Immodium or Lomotil.

Three fourths of our meals come from foods bought at the local markets, street vendors, and Thai restaurants. Just be aware of the guy behind the counter. If he looks sick, don't buy his foods.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I've been very sick a few times since I have been here. Not being able to keep food or water down accompanied by the trotts. I wouldn't know if it was from street food or restaurants as I was advised incubation times can be 24 to 48 hours and I generally eat 3 or 4 light meals a day.

When you first move here you might find your digestive tract takes a little while to acclimatise to the local bugs. Your body already has done so in your home country. After that, it is usually plain sailing.

As others have said, if the food is moving, it is generally good and tasty. Don't let the look of the market stall be your only guide as to whether the food is good or not.

Enjoy your new life.

Thanks. We’re planning on it. 

18 minutes ago, clokwise said:

30 years in Thailand, the only times I've gotten food poisoning here was from brand-name chain restaurants (which I won't mention here), eating "western" food. I eat Thai food daily however, but rarely do I buy food from the market or food courts because it's low quality and unappealing.

Thanks

You have been given lots of good advice, some of it conflicts. I am a frequent traveller to Chiang Mai and most often eat street food, never a problem. This may be because I protect my body against "the trots" by protecting myself, pre travel with a product called Dukoral.

I just Googled this bit of information for you.

DUKORAL® is the only oral vaccine available that provides you with protection against diarrhea caused by heat-labile producing enterotoxigenic E. coli (LT-producing ETEC). DUKORAL® is suitable for most adults, and may be prescribed to children as young as 2 years old.

DUKORAL® is a drinkable vaccine. A full immunization requires 2 doses orally (by mouth) taken at least 1 week (up to 6 weeks) apart, with the last dose taken at least 1 week before travel.

Protect and enjoy !

32 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

No, you are right to be concerned. It is not sanitary, however, this really only depends on you.... how well you are resistant to bacteria.

About a year ago I got a food poisoning so bad, that when I got up from the bed (this stuff only happens at night for some reason) I immediately fainted, fell down the stairs and cracked my head open. It was really that bad and I was lucky to be alive.

Also, it is not only food that will make you sick. I was told by doctors that there is often a $ht season just like a flu season in the west, so you gotta be careful around people.

BTW, charcoal tablets are completely useless if you get bad food poisoning. The benefits are also often exaggerated and it may actually kill the vitamins and minerals in your body. Definitely not recommended to use if you are on any medication. 

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I was told that charcoal before a meal helps not after. Imodium seems to be the ay to go with common sense, patience and some luck. 

1 minute ago, neeray said:

You have been given lots of good advice, some of it conflicts. I am a frequent traveller to Chiang Mai and most often eat street food, never a problem. This may be because I protect my body against "the trots" by protecting myself, pre travel with a product called Dukoral.

I just Googled this bit of information for you.

DUKORAL® is the only oral vaccine available that provides you with protection against diarrhea caused by heat-labile producing enterotoxigenic E. coli (LT-producing ETEC). DUKORAL® is suitable for most adults, and may be prescribed to children as young as 2 years old.

DUKORAL® is a drinkable vaccine. A full immunization requires 2 doses orally (by mouth) taken at least 1 week (up to 6 weeks) apart, with the last dose taken at least 1 week before travel.

Protect and enjoy !

Thank you very much for the info and the effort. Looks like we’ll be using this before the trip. Great tip!

Just now, FaFaHead said:

Thank you very much for the info and the effort. Looks like we’ll be using this before the trip. Great tip!

I don't recall anybody mentioning water. Of course you will drink bottle water. But you can not avoid other's use of water, ie, washing of vegetables and food in general. Dukoral will protect you here, BIG TIME.

12 minutes ago, neeray said:

I don't recall anybody mentioning water. Of course you will drink bottle water. But you can not avoid other's use of water, ie, washing of vegetables and food in general. Dukoral will protect you here, BIG TIME.

Dukoral it is. Thanks. 

Occasional GI problems are one thing, but full-on food poisoning is something else altogether. I've gotten it a few times in Chiang Mai over the years, from a variety of sources. There's no way to predict and really no way to treat it. You just ride it out for an ugly 24 hours then gradually start to eat and drink again. 

Only been in Thailand 3 years - whipper snapper to most of you - but only had serious food poisoning once whilst here - and that was from a KFC I believe. Lost a huge amount of weight over 2 weeks.

That said, considering my wife eats some really dodgy looking foods that look all scraped up off the floor and mixed togeher in a bucket and is on the loo about 4 times a day - she might have continual food poisoning 

• Sad 1

Lived in CM for nearly 4 years - I found the smoke/smog much worse than the food - never got true 'poisoning' and only a couple of 'runs'.

Good advice given by others. I would add never eat seafood or any fish type food from a stall/market, and never eat in a restaurant that is empty - only go where there are lots of people and look for places where there are other 'farangs' (who are not tourists).  Never drink/use tap water and only buy your water from shops like 7/11 or Makro - and never let them put ice in your beer (it is standard - they dont know).  Try to make sure any meats in stalls are very well cooked, and anything boiled in hot water is good (except seafoods).  Be very careful of under cooked meat in many places - ask them to cook it for a bit longer and they will no problem. When you are first there I suggest you take it easy with the Thai food and eat it slowly - no big or too spicy Thai meals - let your system get used to it for a few months.