Ford Ranger erratic idle speed

colinchaffers

I have a 3 year old Ranger 3.2l. (The latest version). Over it's life I have a occasionally had a problem on start up (only) where the idle speed becomes erratic and the engine cuts out. I have to leave it for 10 minutes and it normally clears itself.

Ford have not been able to find the problem. But I don't think I can be the only customer with this problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

...or try another dealership?

Definitely a warranty job and at 3-years, that must be closer to expiration? I the OP hasn't left the truck with them for a few days so they can 'catch' this occasional problem, maybe that has to be an option although a bit inconvenient.

I hope the OP isn' in Phuket thought since last I read, all their dealerships there are caga.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...or try another dealership?

Definitely a warranty job and at 3-years, that must be closer to expiration? I the OP hasn't left the truck with them for a few days so they can 'catch' this occasional problem, maybe that has to be an option although a bit inconvenient.

I hope the OP isn' in Phuket thought since last I read, all their dealerships there are caga.

The real issue is that the problem once clear does not happen for two or three months, Ford has had the car twice for "a few days", but once they checked the diagnostic system and could not find the problem they cant do anything else. I suspect I'm not the only one with the problem hence my post. 

The OP should be able to check various online customer sites to see if other people are having the same problem. If that's the case, he should approach the manufacturer directly.

Dealerships around the world hate warranty claims, because it comes off their bottom line.

• Like 1

I had the same problem with my Vigo. Toyota plugged in the diagnostics and said 2 nozzles are partially clogged and need to be replaced at B10,000 each.

I called the local shop I use and was told to buy Liqui Molly Flush B750. Pour it in the tank, fill the tank half way with Shell V-Power, run it to almost empty. He said this should clean all the injectors and nozzles. He was correct the problem went away.

You can buy Liqui Molly on Lazada. For B750 it's worth a try.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yrag said:

You might also want to do a soft reset.....turn key off then on......disconnect negative at battery for 5 to 10 minute .....with key still on connect cable on battery....then turn key off then back on and or start....

A similar strategy was recommended to me by a mechanic for my Vios. Rough idling. Disconnect negative at battery for 30 seconds. Reconnect. Has worked every time, apparently it resets a computer chip.

• Like 1

A similar strategy was recommended to me by a mechanic for my Vios. Rough idling. Disconnect negative at battery for 30 seconds. Reconnect. Has worked every time, apparently it resets a computer chip.
Thanks both, but the problem clears if you wait 10 minutes and start the engine again. But I suspect the problem is related to timing and or software.

25 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Agreed and computer was checked and it was ok.

The ECU will show OK if there is no ploblem when they hooked it up to diagnostics...They need to hook it up when the fault is there...So you have a shit ploblem that will be hard to trace..

On 9/7/2018 at 7:52 AM, Esso49 said:

Most drivers I know with a Ford Ranger are idle and erratic. ?   

It’s a Ford, he’s lucky it starts at all. 

Had the same situation a few years ago with a Ford. They stuck a sensor recorder in the electrical system to trace and record malfunctioning systems. Had it in for a week and despite the problem happening about 10 times, it didn’t pick up any faults!

Needless to say, we got shot of the heap of shit ASAP. ?

On 9/8/2018 at 1:49 AM, whaleboneman said:

Fuel filter and timing problems would be constant not intermittent.

Well then i had intermittent off and on stalling while driving...turn out was fuel filter.....DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CONSTANT

Also have ford fiesta, with many warning lights for brakes, engine, etc.

Timing was off....fixed everything...this happened last week....

6 hours ago, yrag said:

Well then i had intermittent off and on stalling while driving...turn out was fuel filter.....DOES NOT HAVE TO BE CONSTANT

Also have ford fiesta, with many warning lights for brakes, engine, etc.

Timing was off....fixed everything...this happened last week....

You had these symptoms every three months? Or almost every day?