Ford Ranger erratic idle speed

colinchaffers

The ECU will show OK if there is no ploblem when they hooked it up to diagnostics...They need to hook it up when the fault is there...So you have a shit ploblem that will be hard to trace..

If besides being erratic idle, the engine stalls, there should be a fault registered in the computer memory. Probably the garage just cleared the fault.
Erratic idle unfortunately can have many causes. I would rather think it could be MAF (Mass Airflow) this sensor is located between airfilter and inlet. Don’t clean it yourself very sensitive. You can however check this by unplugging the MAF if problem gone you know it is a faulty MAF.
Another possible cause could be faulty coils (wire and cover of the spark plugs) if they misfire because of high-voltage leak you could get this problem. When you wait to re-start after erratic idle the engine heat might have evaporated moisture causing the misfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

If besides being erratic idle, the engine stalls, there should be a fault registered in the computer memory. Probably the garage just cleared the fault.
Erratic idle unfortunately can have many causes. I would rather think it could be MAF (Mass Airflow) this sensor is located between airfilter and inlet. Don’t clean it yourself very sensitive. You can however check this by unplugging the MAF if problem gone you know it is a faulty MAF.
Another possible cause could be faulty coils (wire and cover of the spark plugs) if they misfire because of high-voltage leak you could get this problem. When you wait to re-start after erratic idle the engine heat might have evaporated moisture causing the misfire.

Fink it' a diesel...?

4 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

Really?? Very strange to have idle problems on a diesel.

Oh no it's not...Gone are the days of pressing a button to warm things up to start one, all hi-tech now...In my ol' gray cells the OP's ploblem could well be a cold start arrangement ploblemwhich is controlled by tech..

• Like 1

I recommend the OP sign up to the Australian Ranger forum as pretty much any major, minor, permanent and intermittent Ranger fault from the current PX all the way back to PJ/PK series has been reported, discussed, analysed and pretty much all sorted. They also have a growing Everest-related content.

PS. Some complain about Ford Thailand service (mostly non-Ford owner/operators) but by most accounts, it seems a lot worse 'downundah' as well as being a lot more expensive.

11 hours ago, luk AJ said:

Really?? Very strange to have idle problems on a diesel.

Dirty fuel, vacuum leaks, faulty low pressure pump, faulty high pressure pump, fuel filters, dirty injectors, compression issues - if you work on diesel engines you wouldn't make that statement.

Dirty fuel, vacuum leaks, faulty low pressure pump, faulty high pressure pump, fuel filters, dirty injectors, compression issues - if you work on diesel engines you wouldn't make that statement.

You are right, my last diesel was a tractor in the corn fields

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...