Phuket lifeguards warn beachgoers of venomous sea snakes at west coast beaches

webfact

Phuket lifeguards warn beachgoers of venomous sea snakes at west coast beaches

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1536207422_1.jpg

Sea snakes have this week been found on Nai Yang and Patong beaches. Photo: Screengrab from video by Khomsan Phansangiam

PHUKET: Lifeguards stationed at the island’s west coast beaches are warning beachgoers to be aware after venomous sea snakes have been found on two beaches this week.

On Monday (Sept 3), local resident Khomsan Phansangiam took a video clip after finding a sea snake on Nai Yang Beach. He told The Phuket News, “I found the sea snake between 3-4pm on Nai Yang Beach in an area near the path beside Phuket International Airport. I didn’t know what to do and want tourists be warned that sea snakes are in the area.”

Meanwhile, Somprasong Saengchard, the chief lifeguard for Patong Beach, told The Phuket News yesterday (Sept 5), “We found two dead sea snakes on Patong Beach this morning. Beachgoers shouldn’t be worry as we will watch for their safety.”

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-warn-beachgoers-of-venomous-sea-snakes-at-west-coast-beaches-68538.php#wwY8EwOOVAy6V7Pb.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-09-06

I suspect that these are fresh water eels, not sea snakes.  The eels live in the klongs and get washed into the sea as the klongs empty after heavy rain. They cannot survive in the salt water and try to swim up the beach to escape. There they are dried out by the sun.  I've seen many of them downstream of the klongs on west coat beaches. I don't think sea snakes get beached. 

9 minutes ago, chub said:

I suspect that these are fresh water eels, not sea snakes.  The eels live in the klongs and get washed into the sea as the klongs empty after heavy rain. They cannot survive in the salt water and try to swim up the beach to escape. There they are dried out by the sun.  I've seen many of them downstream of the klongs on west coat beaches. I don't think sea snakes get beached. 

Yup agree.

The 'snake' in the picture certainly looks more like an eel.

9 minutes ago, chub said:

Sea snakes do get beached; I've seen both dead and live ones at Karon. They rarely bite and are back-fanged so although they are extremely venomous, they're not a major danger to humans. Still better to steer clear though!

1 hour ago, chub said:

That in the picture is a sea snake .The venom is akin to  a cobras venom but there is very little evidence of deaths from sea snakes.Like most snakes just leave them be and you will come to no harm.They will swim away from you if they see you.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

I've seen a few while in the Andaman Sea and steered clear. Sea snakes are venomous and it's no joke if you get bit by a real one.

Not that dangerous. Very small mouths and fangs, though I wouldn't tease one.

Iv seen one or sometimes two dead just as in op picture on surf line of patong beach around this time of year near loma park area. About 2 or 3ft long, but not being an expert I really thought they looked more like eels than snakes? But seems seasonal with the stormy weather.

4 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

That in the picture is a sea snake .The venom is akin to  a cobras venom but there is very little evidence of deaths from sea snakes.Like most snakes just leave them be and you will come to no harm.They will swim away from you if they see you.

Sea snakes fangs are very short, the only time they will get aggressive is if you block their path when they are heading to the surface for some air 

So many sea snakes on night dives in the Caribbean.   One time I saw one hunting below me 3 meters away.  As you may know many fish sleep in the rock and coral hiding spots.   All of a sudden this white sea snake sticks it's head into a hole and bites on the back of a pretty big fish. It is then a wild struggle and the fish wasn't breaking free.  I must have taken a deep breath as in the excitement I rose 2-3 meters.    

Maybe I found the exact same 'seasnake' at Naiyang beach, right next to the airport, 2 days ago.  I thought he'd had enough and was following the expats on the next flight to Vietnam.

I threw it back into the sea where it stayed for a while before waves brought it back in.  On the same stretch of beach I found many other dead and dying fish, it had been quite stormy in the night and I assumed they'd been washed up from old age or sickness or something.

Interestingly there was also at least 10 unopened Coke cans, all from the same batch, and about 10 more that were unopened but had dents in the side (so were not full of Coke), from the same batch.  I drank a couple of the full ones, tasted fine.

Here are some pictures:

G0647394.JPG

G0937430.JPG

G0957432.JPG

G1017446.JPG

G1137458.JPG

G1177462.JPG

GOPR7412.JPG

G0591519.JPG

G0687399.JPG

G0847418.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2. ItI    t   Sea 
Banded Sea Krait

There are actually 31 different types of sea snake and here on Koh Tao we only get the Banded Sea Snake or otherwise called Banded Sea Krait - Laticauda colubrine.

The snake is blue or blue-grey with 20-65 black bands and a yellow or cream colour underside on a cylindrical shaped body. The snout, upper lips and a bar above the eye are yellow and the tail is oar liked and provides propulsion.

The males can grow up to 75cm long and the females 128cm long. They are a unique from the majority of sea snakes as their courtship, mating and laying of their eggs takes place on land. Their food of choice is eels and small fish and they use their venom to paralyse their prey.

Banded Sea Krait

All sea snakes are dangerous to humans as they have such highly toxic venom and carry enough of it to kill approximately three adults.

After being bitten, side effects generally do not appear for 20-30 minutes, at which point severe pain is experienced in the affected limb. droopy eyelids, respiratory weakness and muscle pain can occur. You should apply a broad ligature between the injury and the body and wash the wound, CPR may be necessary. Medical assistance should be sought as soon as possible.

Banded Sea Krait

However the Banded Sea Snake is generally a pretty shy and docile creature that is not aggressive by nature. Plus their fangs are really tiny, only 2-4mm in length so would have trouble penetrating a wetsuit.

CONTACT INFO

25/8 Moo 2, Mae Haad,
Koh Tao, Amphoe Ko Pha-ngan,
Surat Thani 84360

Map

+66 (0)77 456 459

[email protected]

© Copyright - Master Scuba Divers Co L

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Beach goers shouldn’t be worry as we will watch for their safety.”

Time to worry !!!

If you have any sence you will keep well clear 

But there will be some dumb muppet that wants to show off by anoying the snakes then will expect sympathy when it bites him probably fatelly (we can only hope   go with darwin  )

NO ONE is safe from dangerous creatures ask   steve erwin ..... oh no you cant even he got it wrong

Edited by travelling wilbury
Error