What I miss about Thailand.

thaibeachlovers

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

For me at least, after moving back home I miss nothing about Thailand.

Mrs G, misses the ability to go and buy noodles in the road, but other than that, not much either

Aside of her father, my wife doesn't miss anything either although we do have stores in Florida that carry all the Thai food you could ever imagine, 25 pound bags of Jasmine rice, and all the fresh Thai vegetables and fruits she could ever want. Climate is about the same, tropical, although warmer in Thailand than in Florida. Have a lot of Thai people and restaurants here as well.

We have a 55" flat screen display in the house that has around 100k of Thai photos on a memory stick. We usually turn that on when visitors come over.

The other day while waiting for some visitors I was sitting and watching the display rotate the Thai photos and remembering what a good time this was and that was.

Then there were the other photos like the flood of 2011, which reminded me of the not so good times.

The few things I miss are very minor in nature, not enough to ever consider going back at this point.

Life here is a lot less stressful and much more comfortable for the whole family

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Aside of her father, my wife doesn't miss anything either although we do have stores in Florida that carry all the Thai food you could ever imagine, 25 pound bags of Jasmine rice, and all the fresh Thai vegetables and fruits she could ever want. Climate is about the same, tropical, although warmer in Thailand than in Florida. Have a lot of Thai people and restaurants here as well.

We have a 55" flat screen display in the house that has around 100k of Thai photos on a memory stick. We usually turn that on when visitors come over.

The other day while waiting for some visitors I was sitting and watching the display rotate the Thai photos and remembering what a good time this was and that was.

Then there were the other photos like the flood of 2011, which reminded me of the not so good times.

The few things I miss are very minor in nature, not enough to ever consider going back at this point.

Life here is a lot less stressful and much more comfortable for the whole family

Unlike you, I do miss Thailand and my life there. I hate being cold, which I am, all the time I'm outside.

I didn't have children there, so things are obviously different, but everything was easier for me. I didn't have to have a car, I could afford to live in an hotel, with all the benefits of that. Even takeaway food here is more expensive than a nice meal in a Thai restaurant there. The only thing easier here, is not having to front up at immigration, and that was only every 90 days.

The girls are prettier in LOS, the weather is always warm, the food cheap. Just medical is way better there, as long as one has insurance or doesn't have serious illnesses. All the drugs I bought over the counter there are prescription here. Even Voltaren 75 SR is prescription here. Way too much nanny state here for my liking, and the PC is unbelievable.

Whatever the pros and cons, life in LOS was warmer and more interesting than what I have now. Even when things went wrong, there was always something to be learned. Here, when things go wrong, it's just a hassle and always expensive. I had a m'bike puncture repaired in LOS for a few baht. Here they wanted $30 for a bike tyre repair. A new tube was cheaper, so I did it myself.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unlike you, I do miss Thailand and my life there. I hate being cold, which I am, all the time I'm outside.

I didn't have children there, so things are obviously different, but everything was easier for me. I didn't have to have a car, I could afford to live in an hotel, with all the benefits of that. Even takeaway food here is more expensive than a nice meal in a Thai restaurant there. The only thing easier here, is not having to front up at immigration, and that was only every 90 days.

The girls are prettier in LOS, the weather is always warm, the food cheap. Just medical is way better there, as long as one has insurance or doesn't have serious illnesses. All the drugs I bought over the counter there are prescription here. Even Voltaren 75 SR is prescription here. Way too much nanny state here for my liking, and the PC is unbelievable.

Whatever the pros and cons, life in LOS was warmer and more interesting than what I have now. Even when things went wrong, there was always something to be learned. Here, when things go wrong, it's just a hassle and always expensive. I had a m'bike puncture repaired in LOS for a few baht. Here they wanted $30 for a bike tyre repair. A new tube was cheaper, so I did it myself.

"The girls are prettier in LOS"

That is because no girls in their right mind in the west would give a dodger even a glance that is 20, 30 years older, on a pension at that

Curious if you miss it so much, why did you move in the first place?

• Sad 1

Get back to us after 7 years where you are now

I think it’s one of those ‘bright shiny things’ that over time the shine wears off. And It builds up over time

I loved Thailand for the first 6-7 years, then it just began to irritate me, from driving, immigration, cost of living(which I don’t think is that cheap anymore), power going off after 2 claps of thunder. And the weather didn’t do it for me either, hot and sticky all the time wore on me.

Now I love going back for a few weeks vacation, it’s bright n shiny, again, but its a few weeks I  can get back the plane a leave before the absurdity of the place kicks back in.

The newbies, and the ones who cant afford to leave, love it and will defend it to the point of insanity.
But if you’re really lived for a long time, you kinda get it

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

That is because no girls in their right mind in the west would give a dodger even a glance that is 20, 30 years older, on a pension at that

What pension is he on ?

• Like 1

There is a wee difference. In Los the geezer gets the Gf experience the effect being he loses his marbles and hands over a new house.

In the West they just clock watch... Way cheaper [emoji23]

Soo, what's your point? It's like you came up with some great revelation saying old guys in the west can't have 20 yr olds unless...…...unless they have money of course. The only difference is that in Thailand less money is required. There is no difference.

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

. Relax it was a genuine observation from the grass is green side

After all your still posting on TV so you havnt even cut the cord yet

I think you’re missing my point.

We still have our house in Thailand, and spend the winter there, so of course I still have interest in the place, just I know I can’t live there full time anymore.

And as for posting on TVF, well that just provides endless hours of free fun and at times hilarity

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Pension or not, dodger or not. The issue is in Thailand  girls and sex and romance and frienship and P4P are all better here. UK women are dull, insular and unavailable except at great cost. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

6 here--year home--repeat....

That’s how to do it. 

Full time for many of us eventually drives you nuts.

I’m always bemused by the ones who don’t get that for some of us we just tire of the place, at least to live there. It’s almost like they are harboring a secret doubt

On 9/7/2018 at 3:02 PM, smotherb said:

Yeah, I guess I will have quite a different perspective.

I like Thai food, so it will be more expensive back in the States.  However, I also like Western foods; much cheaper there than here--good beef, good crabs and oysters, breads, cheeses, wines, beers, spirits; my backyard has oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, avacados and strawberries--good burgers, wings, and pizza are everywhere; and if you like that god-awful American fast-food, it is much cheaper there than here.

I don't use public transportation except for flying; so I would not miss it. My Harley, Camry, and F-150 are all much cheaper there and so is the gas. I live in Florida, so weather there is not  a problem.

Things happen after 10pm; there are no stupid hours when you cannot buy booze; and  the entertainment venues are unbeatable, but very expensive. I have my lovely wife with me, so I will have companionship. However, girls are available, but more expensive, but just rationalize that you are paying by the pound.

Certainly, other expenses are greater--e.g., housing, taxes, insurance, hired tradesmen, and my favorite personal services are ridiculously more expensive there--and fewer issues can be solved with a bit of graft. They actually enforce traffic and other laws, but they don't stop you on the street for tea money. The other drivers don't try to run you off the road. It's not immediately your fault because you are there.

Damn, I've almost talked myself into leaving. However, those things that are more expensive there are so severely so, that they make it worthwhile to not be there.  That, and I have spent so much of  my life in SEA, it is home for me. Most of my friends and relatives are here.  So . . .

Your  post certainly earns a +1 or whatever it should be called  and  is recognized by me as being  intelligent and rational.

No ding on Thailand but a definite recognition of  some aspects of other countries that may be  a tad more  preferable.

Damn,  Florida sure has some king sized insects.    I loved the time I spent in the state.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2018 at 11:15 AM, bwpage3 said:

Have to agree with you 100%.

The defense of some foreigners defending Thailand, which is not their motherland, is insane.

Most of these I imagine have to continuously talk themselves into the fact they are stuck there forever.

Not stuck here. I Visit the outside world frequently.  A month or two is enough before I return to Thailand. Regarding Defense of Thailand: many Thai bashers are crass and so deserve putting down.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, bwpage3 said:

Actually that is the difference.

The majority of people are in Thailand because they have limited money and can get a 20 year old for 5 bucks.

If there were no cheap and easy women, how many expats would live there just because it's Thailand?

That's the difference.

I am amazed. There comes a guy along, that describes in a few sentences as to why Farangs live in Thailand.
Yes, it's the low cost of living, the low cost of female companionship (even Thai-Wifes are cheaper than Farang-Wifes back home).

A bold but true statement by bwpage3, especially as his comment is not "politically correct".

I have been following up on many a Farangs "career" in Thailand over the last 22 years. In the end, when everything is said and done, it's still the low cost of living and the "uncomplicated interactions" between Males and Females as the main reason why Farangs prefer Thailand over Eastern Timbuktu.
Ouups! Another "politically incorrect" statement. My apologies.
Cheers.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

My new motto :

“Home is where you are happiest” and right now I’m happiest in Thailand !

Some of us are finding we are mutating into existential citizens of nowhere, whether two or three places, no single place ticks all the boxes for one reason or another. What I find does change is the respective amount of time spent in each place. Thailand/Elsewhere for me is currently ~ 8/4 months. That still doesn't stop me missing aspects of Thailand while I am away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:03 AM, bwpage3 said:

Off on a complete tangent about something that was not even mentioned, I see. Girls are pretty or not pretty, regardless of whether they are ageist, or not. Girls in LOS are on the whole, prettier than where I am.

If you want to discuss young women going out with old men, that should be discussed on a different thread.

I moved for health reasons, among others. Not being a multi baht millionaire, and being unable to obtain insurance, Thailand is no place to live at an age when severe health problems are  happening, as they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:59 AM, swissie said:

I am amazed. There comes a guy along, that describes in a few sentences as to why Farangs live in Thailand.
Yes, it's the low cost of living, the low cost of female companionship (even Thai-Wifes are cheaper than Farang-Wifes back home).

A bold but true statement by bwpage3, especially as his comment is not "politically correct".

I have been following up on many a Farangs "career" in Thailand over the last 22 years. In the end, when everything is said and done, it's still the low cost of living and the "uncomplicated interactions" between Males and Females as the main reason why Farangs prefer Thailand over Eastern Timbuktu.
Ouups! Another "politically incorrect" statement. My apologies.
Cheers.

Not the only reason. For the last year and a half I lived in LOS because I liked my life there, even though I rarely went in a bar and never had a woman during that time. Just being warm all the time and having no hassles with owning a car were enough. 

When I first discovered LOS, I admit that the wimmin were the attraction, after living in a country where to get a decent looking GF one had to have a very full wallet, and over 30- forgetaboudit.

Not the only reason. For the last year and a half I lived in LOS because I liked my life there, even though I rarely went in a bar and never had a woman during that time. Just being warm all the time and having no hassles with owning a car were enough. 
When I first discovered LOS, I admit that the wimmin were the attraction, after living in a country where to get a decent looking GF one had to have a very full wallet, and over 30- forgetaboudit.
Your honesty is refreshing. When we all first got here most of us were as happy as a dog with 2 dicks. Eventually the monotonous drone of the bar girl qualifying questions got annoying and paying for sex got less exciting.

Throw in the need for good medical cover which let's face it most (not all) don't have and the time eventually arrives when it's time to go home
  • Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, JAFO said:

I get it.  I was not criticizing you in anyway I just always wonder where folks live that experience so much angst. I understand it's a personal preference thing.

I love where I live and enjoy a stress free easy life with all creature comforts. My immigration deal is 5 minutes(10 tops).  Weather is always nice even in summer.  Traffic is nothing and my cost of living is incredibly low. 

I am currently in the states right now visiting family and friends and can't wait to return home. I laughed the other day as my wife and I stopped to have lunch at a Noodle house here and 1 bowl was $11.25 ( total for 2 with tax and tip was $25.00) My wife and I just laughed as we know we can get the same for about $2 back home. But it is what it is.  4 week here in the US is just enough for a visit and then return back.

In London Chinatown, satay was a quid for 1 stick, in LOS I got 10 sticks for the same price, takeaway shop I was in today had "salapow" for twice the price I paid in LOS.

As time goes by I miss LOS less, not because I'm adjusting to high prices and being cold, but when you are busy, as I am, I find the present crowds out the past, and I just think about LOS less. I often find myself thinking that something would have been cheaper there when I go shopping, so it's not entirely forgotten. I guess one day in my future, LOS will have become just somewhere I used to live, rather than an obsession, as it was for so many years.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In London Chinatown, satay was a quid for 1 stick, in LOS I got 10 sticks for the same price, takeaway shop I was in today had "salapow" for twice the price I paid in LOS.

As time goes by I miss LOS less, not because I'm adjusting to high prices and being cold, but when you are busy, as I am, I find the present crowds out the past, and I just think about LOS less. I often find myself thinking that something would have been cheaper there when I go shopping, so it's not entirely forgotten. I guess one day in my future, LOS will have become just somewhere I used to live, rather than an obsession, as it was for so many years.

I got 20 sticks of Satay in Africa for the same price as 5 in Thailand.

So what is your point?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1