Parmesan Cheese? I don't think so.

giddyup

5 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The cheese in the OP isn't parmesan, smartpants.

Apparently a percentage has to be by law, in this case percentage unknown, but you did say Parmesan was made with pasteurised milk.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, giddyup said:

According to my Thai partner the 63.7% is listed as "pasteurised milk"

That's what they make cheese out of, parmesan also.

Edited by giddyup

Well I don't think any Italian would like my Tandoori chicken pizza, complete with mango chutney!!!!!

Seriously though, I can see where he's coming from and I don't think it's as black-and-white as you state in this post as I believe he is saying something along the lines that "the original is best".

Not surprised someone would think that way because I've had some truly awful cheeses over here and none more so than the grated Parmesan stuff, which I ceased buying some time ago, but I do buy the Grana Padano and shave it myself when I am making an Italian pasta dish.

I can see why certain countries and areas want to preserve their regional products and I'm all for it, after all, I would hate for some other country to produce a "Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc" (as an example) to piggyback on what has come to be regarded as a class wine worldwide from NZ.

But back on track, the US is capable of making fine products and I have eaten/drunk some of them, and if it's anything like their wine industry, then they have made great progress and are now recognised worldwide. 

• Like 1

I was making a point about anything especially food and cheese does not have to be made in the original place and in the original manner to be a great product.  So I'll restate it about Parmesan cheese.  They make good Parmesan all over the world and the only way to see if you like it (why else eat it if you didn't like it?) is to taste it.  I eat the same cheese from the same monks as Charlemagne ate.  I don't eat it because Charlemagne ate it.  I eat it because I like it.  Sorry you took offense.  I was commenting by allegory about Parmesan cheese. 

• Like 1

giddyup I looked up the grated cheese you bought it Macro.  Redwood farms is the economical brand of producer Bella Pac a Wisconsin company.  The main ingredient is Parmesan Cheese, around 75 percent I figure.  All the products made it that company are certified organic. Next time buy the Grana at Macro, made in Italy.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

giddyup I looked up the grated cheese you bought it Macro.  Redwood farms is the economical brand of producer Bella Pac a Wisconsin company.  The main ingredient is Parmesan Cheese, around 75 percent I figure.  All the products made it that company are certified organic. Next time buy the Grana at Macro, made in Italy.  

Is the Grana a block Parmesan or powdered?

Just now, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

It is block, you have to grate it.  I buy it to eat straight with bread.  The last time I went shopping I bought a grated cheese from Australia (Perfect Italian) and I am ok with it.

I'll look for it next time I'm there. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

No no no no no no no..... another one just making it up as they go along :)

Organic food starch,  organic powdered cellulose and organic Potassium Sorbate?

You misunderstood my friend. Unless it states USDA Organic on the packaging, it is not certified organic.

So what they meant was, if it has that label, then those products are certified. Not all of their products have that label. I'm sure most do not.

Apart from that, their website is atrocious.

All are proudced in accourdance with the USDA National Organic Standards.

rwp_big2.jpg

On 9/8/2018 at 6:57 PM, unblocktheplanet said:

Okay, so I'm too lazy to read six pages! Can somebody please tell me where the best price for quality Reggiana or Grano Padana can be bought in the capital? 

The only interesting message here !

Other messages are just posted by pseudo expert who do not even know that a lot of cheese sold and eaten in the world is now not even cheese, it's fake cheese made with vegetal oil, which is of course a lot cheaper to use than milk based products.

On 9/7/2018 at 7:57 AM, KneeDeep said:

No my friend. That is not 'Parmesan'. Much less "real Parmesan".

Even ignoring that it was made in the USA, real 'Parmesan' is matured for a minimum of twelve months. That thing is matured for ten months. Closer to a Grana Padano.

Then likely there are very many other regulations that are likely flouted in making this cheese.

It's just a travesty that they are allowed to call it Parmesan.

But if you are used to eating low quality products, how would be expected to know better?

We don't allow those crappy products to be sold.

Blah blah blah.....Europe is so wonderful, all those nice cheeses and such as compared to those barbarians in America that only eat *h*t.??

Must be tough to accept your minor place in the world, protected by yo Daddy Uncle Sam.

Kraft is just fine to sprinkle on some pizza. As is Stella. As long as it is cheese, and yes I do every once in a while buy a hunk of "real" (meaning coming from Europe) cheese, just to remind myself of the pretentiousness that some folks have.

In America, we dont lift our pinkies while sniffing cheese, we just protect the world. Bon Appetit..

Edited by Nyezhov

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Blah blah blah.....Europe is so wonderful, all those nice cheeses and such as compared to those barbarians in America that only eat *h*t.??

Must be tough to accept your minor place in the world, protected by yo Daddy Uncle Sam.

Kraft is just fine to sprinkle on some pizza. As is Stella. In America, we dont lift our pinkies while sniffing cheese, we just protect the world. Bon Appetit

Your cheese sucks and your leader is a cowardly draft dodger. How much saw dust in the Kraft? 

28 minutes ago, pegman said:

Your cheese sucks and your leader is a cowardly draft dodger. How much saw dust in the Kraft? 

Bet our cheese would be tasty if thats all you have...hey wait that happens every once in a while, Euros begging for Kraft cheese after they screw up the world for a few years and expect us to clean up. ?

Snobs. Ungrateful cheese eating surernder monkeys all. Don, don help, Vlad is invading waaaaaah.

????????????

I like Polish Cheese myself. And Hungarian Cheese. And...Swiss!!!!!!

Stilton is OK too. 

Wonder how many folks can rtell the difference between real and knockoff.

Edited by Nyezhov

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Bet our cheese would be tasty if thats all you have...hey wait that happens every once in a while, Euros begging for Kraft cheese after they screw up the world for a few years and expect us to clean up. ?

Snobs. Ungrateful cheese eating surernder monkeys all. Don, don help, Vlad is invading waaaaaah.

????????????

I like Polish Cheese myself. And Hungarian Cheese. And...Swiss!!!!!!

Stilton is OK too. 

Wonder how many folks can rtell the difference between real and knockoff.

Well our countries are presently in a trade war about dairy. Even if we give a bit our people will likely boycott your wood pulp filler "product".

5 minutes ago, pegman said:

Well our countries are presently in a trade war about dairy. Even if we give a bit our people will likely boycott your wood pulp filler "product".

Thats fine, you will lose. ?

• Confused 1

I think one or two posters are missing the point. 

Instead of taking the opportunity to take a long and hard look at the quality of the food that they are eating and the chemicals that they handle, they instead attempt to attack the messenger.

The fact that the Europeans are resisting the worst of the American excesses is to be commended. Other countries perhaps have a lesser ability to protect their markets.

We don't want your genetically modified organisms. Your chlorinated chicken and hormone injected beef. Your misleading labels. 

Let#s not forget the recent Monsanto RoundUp debacle.

You create a cheese equivalent to a Grana Padano Riserva and call it Artisan. Suddenly any copy of a decent European cheese is Artisan. 

That's my point. Produce a food to European standards and it is considered an Artisan produced product.

So perhaps lobby for higher standards, rather than posting crap about protecting the world.

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 2

Did someone say GMO......let the ignorance blast forth. 5555555

All of life is a GMO. Last time I looked, folks were modifying left and right in short time hotels...or at least trying to.

On 9/11/2018 at 6:49 PM, KneeDeep said:

I think one or two posters are missing the point. 

Instead of taking the opportunity to take a long and hard look at the quality of the food that they are eating and the chemicals that they handle, they instead attempt to attack the messenger.

The fact that the Europeans are resisting the worst of the American excesses is to be commended. Other countries perhaps have a lesser ability to protect their markets.

We don't want your genetically modified organisms. Your chlorinated chicken and hormone injected beef. Your misleading labels. 

Let#s not forget the recent Monsanto RoundUp debacle.

You create a cheese equivalent to a Grana Padano Riserva and call it Artisan. Suddenly any copy of a decent European cheese is Artisan. 

That's my point. Produce a food to European standards and it is considered an Artisan produced product.

So perhaps lobby for higher standards, rather than posting crap about protecting the world.

So is the topic of this thread Bad US food standards?  I didn't know that.  Or perhaps are you just another anti US poster trying to hijack a thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

So is the topic of this thread Bad US food standards?  I didn't know that.  Or perhaps are you just another anti US poster trying to hijack a thread?

Yes, that was the topic from the very beginning. Did you miss that?

The OP bought crap because of the misleading label. Admittedly the "blend" part of the label was obscured by the Thai translation label. But that fact is that the product simply would not be allowed to be labelled as such in Europe and the UK.

Grated hard cheese is as close as it would get and certain not with as much as 37% of unrelated ingredients.

So yes, we have been referring to poor US food standards from the very beginning.

Deal with it.

Anti US? Pathetic attempt at diversion from the subject.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

Yes, that was the topic from the very beginning. Did you miss that?

The OP bought crap because of the misleading label. Admittedly the "blend" part of the label was obscured by the Thai translation label. But that fact is that the product simply would not be allowed to be labelled as such in Europe and the UK.

Grated hard cheese is as close as it would get and certain not with as much as 37% of unrelated ingredients.

So yes, we have been referring to poor US food standards from the very beginning.

Deal with it.

Anti US? Pathetic attempt at diversion from the subject.

I do have an advantage over you.  I realize I should not brag but I tasted the cheese the OP is talking about. 

Has anyone besides me actually tasted the cheese in question?

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Or perhaps are you just another anti US poster trying to hijack a thread?

You mean like you did with your discourse on pizza making?

Edited by giddyup

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I started a thread on pizza making as per your suggestion.  Feel free to take a look.

Show me the thread. All your threads on pizza making were removed (for good reason) as you well know.