Prayut warns against vote-buying in next general election

snoop1130

Prayut warns against vote-buying in next general election

By The Nation

0a0e4a579920cf5269c8ae51ea971ef3-sld.jpeg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha warned on Friday against vote-buying, saying that the practice would only lead to more corruption in government.

He urged voters to “go for a change” and help make sure that the country would get a government with good governance after the next general election, tentatively set for February next year.

“If you vote the same way like in the past, you will get the same thing. There must be a change,” said Prayut, who also heads the ruling junta National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

“Don’t let yourselves be bought. You have the right to vote for any person and any party you like. But if you vote for people who give you money, in the future they will try to get the money back. Nobody gives you free stuff. Don’t accept it. Promise me.”

The PM was speaking to a group of some 200 people, including community leaders, who greeted him during his visit to Lop Buri.

He also urged people not to stage street protests after the election.

“The election must lead to peace. Don’t stage protests again,” he said. “This reign must be the most peaceful.”

Prayut also said that Thailand had “wasted” more than 10 years during the political conflicts that had paralysed all the governments. The conflicts had “blocked the country’s arteries” for over a decade, he said.

When the PM asked local residents what help they wanted from his government, they replied they wanted rice subsidies. He responded, however, that subsidies were out of question, as the government was still “repaying the debt of Bt500 billion” from the previous administration’s rice-pledging project. 

“We have been repaying the debt over the past four years. Budget was squandered in the past,” he said.

Meanwhile, outgoing Army commander-in-chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart said on Friday that the NCPO’s peacekeeping force, which has been in place since the 2014 coup, would see its role reduced following the relaxation of political restrictions later this month.

Police would take over the task of maintaining peace and order, although the NCPO’s peacekeeping force may be used in “certain situations, whenever it is needed”, he said.

General Apirat Kongsompong replaces Chalermchai – who also serves as the NCPO secretary general ex-officio – as the new Army chief on October 1.

Chalermchai said he had no plans to enter politics after his retirement. “I will have more free time for myself after retirement,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30353976

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-9-7
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Amusements said:

Up north, villagers see elections as cash cow. They will say anything you want to hear for 500 Baht. Next.... 

Have you always utter stupid derogatory comments that you can not substantiate  or have you needed to work on it ?

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We have been repaying the debt over the past four years. Budget was squandered in the past,” he said.

This twerp is utterly unbelievable. And, as for his 'urging'  - warning in Prayuth speak - against street protests, I can only assume he's thinking in terms of protests, as he's pushing his 'goods in kind' envelopes cart out of Government House.

Edited by Ossy
correction
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“If you vote the same way like in the past, you will get the same thing. There must be a change,” said Prayut, who also heads the ruling junta National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO).

In other words...... He is trying to 'win' votes.... Not 'buy' votes......... with 'trickery'........ 

While he is 'buying votes' with some other 'Disguise'..... Not so different from those in the past that he 'critisizes' ...........

Who?????? Would want a 'Police/Army regime' governing like now.........

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Hmmmm.... there seemed to be a large element of truth in what he said.

Not surprised in north and south ever since people were allowed to vote in all type of elections. In fact Thais have a name for this. Called night of the barking dogs when canvassers go out on the night on the eve of election to give ‘incentives’. Don’t guarantee that they get what they want from voters though. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Amusements said:

No. First hand knowledge

No, later you say your wife got it. "First hand" means you experienced it, meaning they offered you money for your vote.

Anyways.... you cant blame them for accepting the money, no matter what you vote the same people will get richer anyways. I would accept the money also.

12 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Not surprised in north and south ever since people were allowed to vote in all type of elections. In fact Thais have a name for this. Called night of the barking dogs when canvassers go out on the night on the eve of election to give ‘incentives’. Don’t guarantee that they get what they want from voters though

We will see with the next election how effective vote buying is.. if the junta gets a large share and the PTP gets smaller we can conclude vote buying works.. if not then I will have to accept it does not work. If anything the next election is a good indicator of the power of money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

We will see with the next election how effective vote buying is.. if the junta gets a large share and the PTP gets smaller we can conclude vote buying works.. if not then I will have to accept it does not work. If anything the next election is a good indicator of the power of money.

Just another thought...... The Junta may not have to resort to buying votes...... They will probably be the ones who 'COUNT THE VOTES' so can cheat there........ LOL .....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Just another thought...... The Junta may not have to resort to buying votes...... They will probably be the ones who 'COUNT THE VOTES' so can cheat there........ LOL .....

Here is a thought.. such a huge conspiracy is impossible to keep secret.. too many involved.. something like that would not stay secret.. too high of a risk for the junta.

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

More the power of the people who will decide that they had enough of the junta. They will gladly take the junta’s tax payer money and have a good laugh. 

6 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

More the power of the people who will decide that they had enough of the junta. They will gladly take the junta’s tax payer money and have a good laugh. 

We will see, told you i think PTP is least evil at this time. I am still curious to see the power of money at work. It will either vindicate me or make me reconsider how money influences votes.